Anyone else have an un-photogenic horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
They say pictures don't lie but yes they do!

Case in point, one horse I purchased years ago didn't look a thing like the horse I saw in the pictures. The horse was all so gooped up with make up, professional pics showing ultra neck poses and you could not tell it was the same horse when she arrived. Since then, that was a hard lesson I learned when looking for horses to always ask for natural pictures and plenty of poses. Videos seem to work well for me.

Now then: I have a couple of horses, well more than a couple of horses here that come out horrible in photos. No make up or anything either, but they do not look like themselves in the pictures. The head shots especially look horrible and long and come out looking "muley" when they are not long headed. I just took some of another horse of mine and said to myself "that horse's back isn't that long" but I swear in the picture she looks like a hot dog. So what is going on? Are they just un-photogenic or what?

Any tips oh how I can take better pictures?

I'd appreciate; it thank you!

I'm with you here Marty. I can't take a decent picture to save my life. :DOH! :DOH! :DOH!

It always tickles me when people I sell horses to over the internet get them. First words. "wow (he/she) looks alot better than the picture".

Yep I'm a terrible picture taker and any advice other than have Jodie come over (which she is in July thank the lord) would be greatly appreciated. Because the horses with the good pictures sell alot easier BECAUSE they actually look like the horse!!

Marty,

I have had the same issues with even my best ponies. I got that Canon Sure Shot off the CMHR spring auction and WOW! what a difference it has made my photo taking abilities. I have been able to get natural poses and great shots from a distance with natural lighting.

Here's a couple examples:

IMG_0444.jpg

BigNRich Fortune TAP taken 5/16/08

RuffleMyFeathersEGF.jpg

Ruffle My Feathers EFG taken 4/18/08

My point, My Kodak digital camera was great for awhile, but now its on to better things.

It just takes practice and it helps to get down on their level. Pics don't turn out well if you're looking down on the horse. Luckily with digital cameras, it's relatively easy to take a couple hundred pictures a session and have some turn out okay (this is what I do).

Plus, you know the saying -- "You never know how you look, until you get your picture took."
default_biggrin.png

A lot of it depends on what kind of lense you are using and at what distance from the horse are you taking photos (and the angles as well)

The headshot of the pinto in muffntuff's reply appears to have been taken with a zoomed lense - the background is softly blurred but the subject is nice and sharp and in focus- and porportionate.

It may not be the photographer, it may be the equipment! Some cameras are just NOT made for close up head shots, no matter what you do.

Edited to ad:

Marty, this link is to the website of Sheldak Ranch, one of the worlds premier Appaloosa breeders who have had their photos published for generations and all over the world! She has some great hints here on what she uses for a camera and photo hints...

http://www.sheldakranch.com/abc.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent link HGFarm! Yes the camera I just got has higher shutter speeds and higher mm zom. And yes I choose to be a distance away, so the background would be somewhat fuzzy. But if I am closer, I can't get a decent shot as they just want attention then!
default_yes.gif

Since it is a digital camera, I have a 1GB disk in it and I can snap hundreds of photos and pick the best ones. Then delete the ones I don't need or use.

The shutter speed is what I working on now, you can change it, and as soon as we get some nice days again, I will be experimenting. I have lost too many fun pics or just missed pics.

The other thing I have liked about this is that the camera has a automative steady, I did not use a tripod or drop down on one knee, these were stabilized by the camera. And let me tell you I shake a lot when taking photographs.

Here is a few examples, just slightly missed opportunities:

IMG_0404.jpg

BigNRich Fortune taken 5/10/08

IMG_0489.jpg

I Like to Move It Move It Taken 5/11/08

Well Marty I can make any - I mean any horse ugly with a camera! I took photos of Buckeroo I wouldn't show anyone - seriously they are that bad!!! I definitely suffer from an I.D.10.T error when it comes to photography.

My 13 yr old has the exact same camera as I do and takes way better photos!!! Although I will agree our new digitals beat the pants of the older ones (we've had 4 different brands/models over the years) and quality has vastly improved. I'm just a horrid photographer.

She took these two this a.m. - mine ended up in 'delete' file!

sassi_06-08-08.JPG
shamanhead_06-08-08.JPG

Great link with wonderful advice on taking photos.

Definitely agree on the 'missed opportunity' photos - lots of half shots over the years LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is great you guys and thank you!

I don't feel so stupid now.

I have one mare that is really bad headed I know I know I know she is. Definitely a double bagger and I expect a bad head shot.

But dang it I have some pretty ones too and I swear they get that muley head long look and it drives me up a wall. Ok I have some serious learning to do here. My camera has too many gadgets I think for the weenie. I better get the book back out on that too.

Latest posts

Back