Anyone else have a mare act like a stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobey

Reaction score
I put Angel (my mare) in with another mare and my stallion. Angel jumped on the mare like she was trying to bred her. Ok, I thought, I would take Angel out for awhile --that she was probably trying to be the more dominant mare. I have had her out of that pen for a while. Tonight I took them all out tonight and walked them. When I walked that mare by Angel's pen she started acting up - just like a stallion would. Running the fence line, making noise, even rearing up. What a stinker! She doesn't do that for anyone else.
wacko.gif
For some reason she has it in for her.

Yes I have a mare who acts stallion like at times!

She is NOT the dominant mare BUT she does try to mount the others and will chase them a bit in her attempts to do this. She is pregnant and young so I thought her hormones were out of whack??

I have heard that sometimes mares will act this way if they have cystic ovaries, but didn't hear it from a vet, so can't verify. May be something to look into anyway.

Her hormones may be out of wack, I don't know.

I was just going to say basically what Chanda did. A QH mare I know was just spayed because of ovarian cancer and she was acting studdish, but also just mean and agressive. Your mare may have "harmless" cysts on her ovaries causing her to act studdish. I think if this is the case (the vet would need to check her), she can be put on short term dose of Regumate or similar and it can take care of it... another mini mare at the stable had strange heat cycles and was diagnosed with cysts and put on Regumate for 7 days (I think) and then she was back on track and normal.

Well I have SEVERAL mares like that each year and for me.........and my perspective, it means that they are carrying a filly! (meaning the mare acting studdy is carrying a filly)

She is a maiden mare and this is her first summer with a stallion. I thought she was just confused! I'll have to check into this more. Would be nice if she were just carrying a filly tho
laugh.gif

Erica said:
Well I have SEVERAL mares like that each year and for me.........and my perspective, it means that they are carrying a filly! (meaning the mare acting studdy is carrying a filly)
441223[/snapback]

Oooh, I hope so.....Pearl Jam is doing that.....about 2 weeks after being bred, I have had to keep her in her own pasture as she will harrass the mares and beat up my geldings!

She's been confirmed in foal.

Thinking filly !!!
yes.gif

Sue
smile.gif

Yes, I have a mare doing that right now, she is pregnant, but she has always done it. It is a nuisance with a young stallion as it can prevent him doing his job. Last year I bred in hand only, so it was not a problem. This year he was old enough to take her aside and have a word with her. She still has her fun- but after the Stallion does hos job!! She also does all the teasing for him- lazy so-and-so, if I were a mare I'd jump on his head whilst he was sleeping!!!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back