Anyone else hate the Mall?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Sheryl's mom had offered to take me to their mall for clothes shopping but Jerry wasn't able to get me up there, so he had to bring us to the mall today in Chattanooga.

We had to get clothes for Court so we planned a trip to the mall today. We only go to the mall once a year and that's for Christmas shopping. If we need anything else, our options are limited so it's Walmart or nothing because I have driving issues on the interstate.

It's a good thing that Jerry and Dan both happened to have new suits to wear to the funeral, but I didn't have a thing. I ended up wearing an old long skirt and knit top that belonged to my mom that I dug out, and shoes that were so old, they literally broke off of my feet at the cemetery. I knew shopping for me was going to be a project. Dan wore his typical huge nasty jeans with tee shirt hanging out like a bum and I wore stretch shorts that I stole from Jerry with a tee shirt and Michael's sandals so we arrived looking like we just fell off the turnip truck. We brought Josh, Dan's best friend who always looks gross too. We looked like quite a pitiful group, except for Jerry who had decent clothes on.

The mall was filled with tons of teenagers everywhere,.and lots of stores geared just for them like the Gap and Hot Topic. Seems like those stores took over in the mall. Who knew? When did that happen?

We headed to JCPenney for clothes for Dan and we actually got waited on. Dad took off to look at tools. While I was standing around in the young men's department I thought of our last family trip there with Michael and I got upset but tried not to let it show.

The lady was trying to measure Dan for a shirt and he was wiggling and twisting all around because he was so ticklish and he was giving her fits and wouldn't stand still and wouldn't quit laughing. We tried to get him fitted in decent pants but Dan only knows how to wear crappy jeans three sizes too big falling down his butt crack so he was a handful saying all those casual dress slacks look stupid and he wasn't going to wear them. He kept pulling them all down to his hips, sneaking sizes that were way too big, and drove me nuts and was making the sales lady laugh her head off. I finally punched him in the arm and told him to behave himself because I was having a hard day and here came the sniffles which he couldn't stand. Once I got it through his head that we had to look nice to represent Michael, that sunk in and Dan bought the exact same khaki pants that Michael loved to wear, and two of the same kind of shirts that he wore too. He looked so cute. Success.

He quit fussing after that and said he was going to find Dad but I knew that wasn't true. They were going to hang out in front of Victoria's Secret to pick up girls, while I attempted to buy some clothing for me. Jerry was very persistent that we were not coming back until Christmas so now was the time I had to get clothes and he said we were not leaving there until I bought something decent. He told me to get a lot so that I wouldn't run around looking like I do like a slop. So I went to the ladies departments but I was so confused between "ladies" "women's" and "misses" and "today's woman" that I didn't know where I should look so I just looked at everything but I couldn't find my size anywhere. I began to sniffle again, but not because of that. Of course I didn't know my real size, just that everything looked like it wouldn't fit. I just go by what the boys say I am "short and stumpy."

If I were in Walmart, I would have known where to look, But these department stores are really big and there was no lady available asking "May I Help You" so I just left and sat in the mall on a bench and gave up and thought of our last trip there that was so much fun with Michael at Christmas time. Jerry comes along sees me sitting there wih no bags and tells me to try another store while he waited in the mall. I did.

Same thing. Too many departments, all spread out all over the place and I got mixed up, and no one to ask except a cashier that had a big line and I didn't want to bother her. I wandered around and all I could find that might fit me were "granny clothes" that I didn't want. I felt like screaming "Does anyone know where they keep the short and stumpy sizes?"

Michael was always very well dressed. He never went in for that bum look and on several occasions he threatened to report me to the fashion police of TV's What Not To Wear and he was serious. He always made me watch that show and now I know why. I would have loved to run into the people from that show because I got nowhere except very frustrated. This was no fun. I hate shopping. I had no idea how badly I dressed going off the mountain, but apparently everyone else did.

By this time, I was frazzled and knew I was going to have a crying spell so I went outside of the mall to get some air and I was leaning up against the building and here comes a mall security cop. She thinks I'm drunk and I start sniffleing again. I tell her that I am not drunk that I just upset because I can't find any clothes to wear to court and Jerry said I can't go home without any. She says people don't cry over shopping, and wants to know what I have been charged with and why I got arrested to have to go to court, so I told her that I didn't do anything and she wants to see my driver's license. She finally lets me go and tells me to have a nice day, but that I looked suspicious. This day just goes from bad to plain stupid.

I was on my way to try one more store, still sniffleing and teary eyed and now I'm out of tissues when I realize that there are no clothes in the mall that will fit me, so I give up and turn back around and try to compose myself. All of a sudden I look up and there was the most beautiful sight I had seen in a long time. It was Whitney, one of Michael's most treasured best friends in the world, standing before me with open arms wanting a hug. I take one look and realize it's her, and here we both go blubbering . We find a bench and got to sit down for a visit while she waits for her friend in another store. She offered to help me shop but by that time I was tired and wanted to find Jerry and Dan and get out of there. Seeing Whitney made my day. She's leaving for college soon but promises to stay in touch.

Here comes Jerry, Dan and Josh and Jerry is giving me the eye because he sees that I still have not made a purchase and I tell him that I want to please leave that place. On the way out, we passed by a book store and in the window was a book by Sylvia Browne called "If You Can See What I see" and Jerry let me get it.

The fun part finally came when we went to Outback Steak House for the first time. Keep in mind that if it doesn't involve a drive-thru window, we aren't familiar with it. We didn't know there was a bar and a tv in there either. It's a noisy place. We ordered a little dinner and Jerry and I head to the bathroom and when we come back Dan and Josh said that they ordered us an appetizer. They didn't realize that one appetizer there feeds a whole table and before we knew it, the table was covered with so many plates of appetizers that there was no room on the table for dinner. The appetizers kept coming and coming and Jerry said "what have you boys done?" He rolled his eyes and giggled a little bit and so did I. This is the kind of stuff that Michael would have pulled. And who invented cheese fries? I never heard of them. We're going to need more dental floss.

It was really funny and we couldn't eat hardly any of it; there was way too much food, but Dan and Josh were shoveling like pigs and then began to turn green. This is the first time that Jerry ever got a dinner bill that was the same amount as our grocery bill for a week, and his eyes about popped out of his head and he said next time, it's back to Arbys.

Somewhere in there I manged to knock off my cheap $2.99 hoop earing so the boys were scrounging around under the table trying to find it but couldn't. It finally showed up later. It had fallen down my shirt....sigh.

On the way home we stopped at Walmart thank goodness it felt so good in there.......for bird food and cat food and I got some Alka Seltzer just in case for Dan and Josh. On the way home, they were punching eachother in the back seat and wrestling around like a couple of two year olds, just like Michael would have been doing with them if he had been with us today.

I still don't have any clothes for court but I'll make due with something I already have, even if it's wrong. It was quite an experience to shop at the mall but I don't like it and it was nicer to get back to the mountain and pet a bunch of critters.

Dan's baggy pants.

I wonder why he was posing himself in front of that fancy car that we don't own.........

100_1612.jpg

Sweet Whitney

100_1609.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty,

My mom's invitation to take you shopping is available. Come up with Jerry this week, I'll be in class so probably won't see you.

Hi Marty

I am not a mall person either. More importantly it sounds as though you had a wonderful family day no matter what you did. Lots of love
default_wub.png
:

Sherrie

I'm another that can live without going to the mall.

Sounds like you had a good day, even if the shopping wasn't too productive!

I hate the mall too Marty! Meijer's has everything I need. I don't know if you have those in TN or not, but they are like superwalmart, but better! I too only go to the mall about once a year and it's Christmas time. First I try to buy online as much as I can before I go.

I do love Outback steaks though - did you have one? mmm!

Overall, it sounds like you didn't have a too bad of a time. You had good memories of Michael and that's something that noone can ever take away. It was probably really good for Dan and it sounds like he had a good time. I would love to hear Jerry's take of the whole trip
default_unsure.png
:

I do all my clothes shopping at Car Boot Sales- what would you call them- where everyone turns up at a field and sells things out of their car trunks???

I came back yesterday with two carrier bags full of stuffed toys- brand new- a broom and three buckets.

A garden hose, a resin fairy, three t-shirts from a really expensive store, a fleece top for winter, a pair of sunglasses that cost $50.00 in the store and had their label on, a pair of "look alike" Gucci sunglasses that cost $200.000 if they are real, some ornaments that I probably needed, three Christmas presents, and a load of Christmas decorations, still in their boxes.

Two books I shall enjoy reading, some candles, two pairs of Nike bottoms for a kid - I LOVE children, they are always growing out of their clothes!!!!- Two HUGE stuffed dogs, a Dobie and a Westie- cost $4.00 the two and they are brand new as well- prizes for our dog club at Christmas.

Two of those automatic water drinker bowl things for the Barn cats- my kitten is becoming VERY spoiled :bgrin - a couple of feeding bowls, assorted things with bells on them, a special surprise for flat Lotto if he ever gets here, and some other clothes I cannot remember.

There are rails and rails of trendy, beautiful clothes for the larger Ladies- and there are larger ladies selling them who are only two happy to help!!!!

18-20 (our sizes of course- this is top end of the scale size) is NO shame here- everyone is glam and helpful and lovely.

Go to a (equivalent of) Car Boot , Marty, do not be proud (I know you are not, not economically anyway
default_cheekkiss.gif
: ) you will get everything you want and loads of help.
default_yes.gif
:

Forgot to say I spent less than $30.00!!!!!!!!!!

Marty I hate the mall too. Like Lisa said, all the clothes now are SKIMPY.

I've packed on some tonnage since my hysterectomy and all I want is loose and comfortable, but covered.

We went swimsuit shopping yesterday....WHY? Because we paid for a Caribbean cruise (our first) for our 20th anniversary. Buying a swimsuit is even tougher! So few people are actually MADE to wear today's clothes. I found myself eyeing up the maternity suits....
default_unsure.png
:

Wal Mart is MY PLACE and I also like Bealls because we have one in our small town.

My husband says "If Wal Mart aint got it, you don't need it." HE'S RIGHT.

JANE--we call those flea markets here in the south.

Marty,

remybussi.gif

I'm happy to "see" you back.

As far as the mall, yeah, I *hate* it too and I can beat you... I have NOT been in a mall in probably 5+ years.

Jill

Marty,

I am glad that you got out alittle (even if you didnt get anything and dislike the mall)...sounds like it did everyone some good!!
default_yes.gif
:

I am one of those people who rarely go to the mall and when I do, its usually for the kids, not myself. I am a "Kmart and Walmart kind of girl"...who woulda thought and I laugh about that now, because growing up I HATED shopping for clothes at KMart!! :new_shocked:

BTW, I love Sylvia Browne and I think that book will be a good read for you! (let me know what you think of it).

Enjoyed your read........ as usual. Most Horse people are the same way..... hate the mall.
default_yes.gif
: Is there a Sears at that mall? I can usually do good at Sears. I'm short and stumpy too :lol:

count me in as another mall hater. I only go when i HAVE to or the kids force me.

I do however have a knack for dressing other people. Ask Fran LOL. I took her out and had her trying on stuff she would never try on in a million years. And she actually liked some of it
default_smile.png
One of the best stores i have found for short full figures is Lane Bryant. Great clothes that actually fit curvy women. Even my 21 yr old daughter now lets me dress her when we go shopping. I can dress other people way better then myself. Dang i wish you didnt live so far
default_sad.png

Texas Roadhouse is one of hubbys fav places to eat. But i can imagine jerrys face when ya got the bill lol. if you sign up on their website they send ya coupons for free appetizers. my teenage boys ALWAYS order too much food. NOw i order

Marty, I HATE going to the mall, give me Wal-Mart or Shopko anytime
default_yes.gif
: and you are SOOOO right--the mall dont carry sizes for "short and stumpy", ...or at least I havent found that department up here either. Corinne

Our mall has a Wal-mart and a Kmart so we've lucked out. But being that our closest mall is an hour drive away ....i dont make it up there that much. Normally the only time i go to the mall is if my friends and i go to Cedar Point and they force me into stopping. I'm not the most sylish person so i dont see the point of my blowing $89 on a pair of jeans that will get horse manure on and tear up. I'm a tshirt/jeans girl, dressy to me is a polo, Sagetii strap shirt and shorts from AE, Fashionbug or The Gap.!

I just go to our local wal mart that is about 15 minutes away and thats where 99% of my things come from (and TSC).

Marty almost every mall has a fashion bug and they have clothes for short and stumpy, they also have a dressy section where you can get womens dress suits ext and stuff like that. Most my dressy clothes came from here and i know they have them in TN because we passed about 2 of them when i was trucking with my dad in his semi a few years ago in Northern TN. There not expesive either. Wal Mart is more my style though ...i agree with you!

Your post had me lauphing :lol:

My mom and dad hit the mall about once a year and its a disaster in the making every time ...

Let us know if that book is any good to! I watch Montel every thursday/friday just to see Slvia Brown and when i get money (
default_rolleyes.gif
default_smile.png
i really want to get it.

Thanks for posting!

Yup, I hate the mall too! Was going to go shopping for a show jacket today, but it is 10,000 degrees out! Judy suggested going to the mall, but they are stuffed with ornery kids, babies, too many people all trying to cool off!

Time to shop online, maybe.

Try www.catherines.com. They have reasonable prices, for petite, plus, extended sizes. I find most of my clothes there. We have some of their stores in town so usually go there to try on before I buy, but if I want more of something I already have, I just go online.

Marty,

You sound so much like me. I hate the malls, I hate shopping. I need to take a shopping person with me to keep me from running away with nothing.

What about shopping on line? If you need help choosing just get an on line friend to view the same page as you as you talk on IM or on the phone. Place the order and it is at your door in a few days.

http://fashionbug.charmingshoppes.com/Shop...attr=712&nav=FP

http://www.lbcatalog.com/lbcatalog/layout/layout.asp?

I am sure other people can recommend other on line places to shop.

Since the accident I do a lot of shopping on internet. Shopping from a wheelchair is a pain. Any of Sylvia Browne's books are wonderful reading. Having been on 2 cruises with Her I can honestly say She is just as She appears on Montel. I have that book and many more. Hayhouse (her publisher) has a website that is awesome. Check it out. As for court you wear what is comfortable for you. People who would be critical of your clothing are snobs and should be ignored.

So glad to see you posting. Take care.
default_wub.png
:

default_wink.png
: I Love Walmart also, even have started getting some of my groceries there.

Now on the other hand, if my grown up girls have a choice, here comes the mall. Walk, Walk, Walk,

and around again, walk, walk, walk.
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks for sharing :risa_suelos: Loved to hear about your day out.
default_wub.png
: :saludando:

:saludando: Hi!

I ABSOLUTEY HATE shopping ANYWHERE!!! I hate going to Walmart even!!! I'm not much for being in any sort of a crowd where people are!

But I am a EBAY Queen! lol! I get almost everything off ebay. That way I can try it in my own home and if it doesn't fit or don't like it I can either resell it on ebay or something...... And of course I live for bargins!! Ebay's great for having those!! (most of the time).... So I look on ebay before I decide to get it from any where else! Including mini horse stuff! All my show clothes (but one) came from ebay!

And I only will go into town to Walmart (we have a super walmart) when I'm out of groceries!

I don't mind going to Tractor Supply (where I get my horse feed), they do have some clothes in there. But usually too expensieve for me!

But I think most of us horse people (except for my MOM!... she's a dressage person! She has to buy everything NEW and only the best! Drives me nutts!)..... are pretty common people!!

HATE HATE HATE Malls!!!! Too many people......I get nervous and cranky.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with some of the clothes at WalMart these days.....

Glad to hear you made the trip "out" with the gang. I know it was hard, but it was probably good for you too.

(I would probably have gotten cranky at the secruity officer, though. And would have blurted out exactly why I was going to court! THAT would have shut her up! )

MA

Latest posts

Back