Anyone Dealt With Ringworm Before???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharmedMinis

Reaction score
I'm needing a picture of ringworm just for reference.

I'm not having any luck finding any pictures of it on horses on the web. Found plenty of pictures of it on cats, dogs, and even cattle, but no pictures of ringworm on a horse.

I've found lots of descriptions but would like a picture for reference.

If you don't have a picture but have dealt with it before can you please give me your own description.....you can PM me if you like.

Thanks!
default_yes.gif
:

Had a case of it on a horse that I bought from a place that also had cows. Looks exactly like what you find on cows -- gray, dry scabby looking and round (hence the name "ring worm"). Usually around the eyes. Since you don't want to use iodine around the eyes, try athlete's foot creme.

Be sure to isolate the horse as it can easily pass it on to others. Wear latex gloves (EXTREMELY contagious to humans too), scratch the surface to loosen up the scab and rub the creme in thoroughly twice a day for about 10 days. Sunlight also helps to get rid of it.

Carefully remove and discard the gloves after each use.

Thanks for the info so far :saludando:

I'm pretty darn sure the horse I'm worried about does NOT have ringworm, just wanted something for comparison.

I've just got a very itchy horse, she has rubbed the hair off of both sides of her neck, it's summer coat length now. But there are no bald patches or scabbies, just dry skin and dandruff. I've checked an re-checked, no sign of lice.

Could just be the wetter than normal winter we are having!!!
default_wacko.png
:

Lindsay, ringworm is very specific. Round like a coin crusty then flaky, the skin beneath red and inflamed. Sounds like just itchy as you say. Use your Azurite, malachite, green aventurine or hematite to see if that helps. Itches are a circle. Itch cuz it itches but then it itches more. An antihistamine may also help a bit.

Latest posts

Back