Anyone breed for more "stocky" type minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobey

Reaction score
I know alot of people breed for the refined type mini but are there any out there that breed for the stocky minis? If so I'd love to see them too
yes.gif

We have a short stocky Komokos that throws just like herself no matter who she's bred to. We only breed her for a man we know who loves the stocky type and has bought 4 of her babies other then that we wouldn't breed her. She's a really kind mare and getting older but the babies she has look like little tanks compared to the ones that aren't that type.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I don't have any "ultra" fined boned horses in my little humble herd. But I do have a filly that everytime she runs I think to myself, "I hope she doesn't break a leg" because she has such very thin bones. Sometimes I am like: "she can snap those legs in half without trying"

My stallion Nick has some bone to him. Nick is well equiped to trudge through a multitude of mud, snow, and obstacles so I don't worry about him wrecking a tendon on me or getting splints etc. that easily. Same with most of my mares. Not the draft type, but I'd call them a medium bone. This is because although I do love the refinement in a horse that brings out their beauty more easily to the eye, I also did not want a horse that looked so fine boned that they look like they have toothpics for legs, such as the filly I mentioned. I think I can have a horse that is not only pleasing to the eye, but one that can be used for many things. I think if a horse is designed to do things besides just standing up in halter classes, that it would enhance his chance at a diversified life.

I also like a horse with a brain, and to see him use it other than sit around with too much time on his hands. That gets some horses in trouble. I've already got one of those.
wink.gif

I want a "using" horse. I want to get out there and train them and watch them do something other than "stand still." Not that I don't appreciate a full time halter horse because I can stand a halter horse in classes all day long and thrive on it too. But, it must be my quarter horse background, but I simply believe that I can have a pretty eye catching horse that will also qualify as a miniature althelete that can be "used." Be it driving or jumping, obstacles or what have you, I am hoping I will produce horses that will have a chance at many opportunites that the miniature horse world does offer. I have a feeling that I'm on my way too.
biggrin.gif

Here's Silver Belle (soaking wet after a bath, sorry). She's a pretty mare, in my opinon anyhow, but she's small at 32" but this girl has power behind her. She's strong.

SBOK.jpg

Here's Angel at her worst: over weight and a pig fat. Blubber hanging has distorted this horse terribly. She's tall at almost 34" and really leggy when she's fit and lovely to work with. She's so agreeable and sweet. A more gentle horse there isn't on the face of the earth. She can jump, sidepass, pivot like a quarter horse, all kinds of stuff I taught her but I gotta be honest that when she is not worked with for a while, and has too much time hanging out, she's dumb as a box of rocks. This is a horse that won't even lead if she's left to not "do something" and force her brain to work.

ANGELOK.jpg

Last but not least, I have chosen to show you Baby Chrissy, my little punky 29" horse. This is my spoiled rotten baby that I adore. Yup I did the spoiling. She has definately medium bones to show you and a head to die for. But this little darling angel is another one that is very strong and will clean your clock in a New York minute. This gal can kick the daylights out of anyone bigger and badder than she is. She can outrun, outjump, outwork and outthink about any horse here, other than Nick. You gotta be one step in front of this girl or she'll kill ya.
wink.gif

AngelMonday.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't breed for them... & I really don't like them because my drafty/fat 34"gelding can't jump, doesn't do well in halter, & can only drive for a SHROT time... My 35"arab stud can jump 4 feet easliy, run forever, does better in halter, can drive great, for milage & carrige, looks nice & alround more able....

But, this is Billy. Not our dream, but we love him:

jty.jpg

& just for compareson, this is the stallion... But like Marty said he is a light medium bone guy, i love him
wub.gif

jhfv.jpg

In the picture above, you can see my stud's ribs & i just wanted to say that he is whinning, he is not skinny & he gets fed alot, over 8 cups daily & lots of hay, lots!

unsure.gif

I don't breed for anything, yet, but some of my own favorite minis are more of a stock / qh type (which is not to be confused with draft type, imo).

My mare,

Harmony Hills Harvest Gold, with our own CKC / Kim at the whip (I *love* this photo):
kim+goldie.jpg

My former show stallion, now even more precious as a gelding, Triple H Derby Day Miracle:

Derby%20--%20Silver%20Star%20Show%20--%20May%2010,%202004%20075.jpg

My "new" show gelding delux, Tibbs Sundowner (thanks, ERICA!):

sunny9-smaller.jpg

I love to see refinement in minis, but I also love ones that are built to perform and drive. At the risk of sounding like too much of a cheerleader, one thing I have admired for so long about Erica Killion's horses is that they are beautifully refined yet also BUILT with great butts and chests.

thumbs-up2.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I think that you will find that those of us that breed for showing avoid the stockier types or we try to.... Im sure tho that there are several people out there that do have them.[/SIZE]

Carbon and Fancy are my heaviest boned or stockiest mares. I sold my med boned stallion this year.

f3cc86a5.jpg
f2e5d7d1.jpg

f493ff7e.jpg

I consider these three to be medium boned.

Lyn

I find that canadian horses are more stocky. My gelding, whom I had to sell this year, is a Komokos Dock Adam and Sids Rebel grandson. He was as stocky as they come, but man could he move!

marcotrot22.jpg

It's funny, his dam, a Komokos Dock Adam daughter, is stocky and looks like her sire IMO, and all the foals of her that I have seen are nice and stocky! Marco's sire, Imprint Rebels Pardon My Dust, is a bit more refined.

I have the more stocky horses. I don't know if you can tell how stocky Ernie is. He is the baby in my Avatar picture.

Deb

Latest posts

Back