Anyone allergic to horse hair, shavings, hay, their barn?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
This is the worst thing ever but i might be allergic to everything horse related! Ugh, I'm getting allergy tested in a week and hope of course this is not the case. For now I am on benadryl or claritin and wearing the most obnoxious mask in the barn just as a precaution until I get tested. I'm wondering how anyone handles this.

I am allergic to horse hair, dust, grass (hay, not so much). At one time I didn't have allergies at all, I always felt sorry for the kids who loved horses but were allergic to them--I started having symptoms when I was in my 20s and it got a bit worse as time went on. Now it seems to have leveled out. When I brush a horse I make sure that I don't get dust in my face--I get in the dust and it means my eyes start to run and my nose stuffs up really bad. Horse hair on my bare skin makes me get hives--a good wash and a Reactine tablet take care of that. Vacuuming is much better than brushing for me but I do still brush horses. Cleaning the barn is okay but sweeping the floor can be a problem...and I hate wearing a mask!!

Vacuuming - yes. You can find used Rainbow vacuums that use water instead of bags or "vats" (such as a shop vac) and then the dust/dirt/grass/hay are "caught" and can be dumped with the water in your compost pile. You can "blow" out the barn or vacuum it with the vac instead of sweeping it. My ponies like being vacuumed.

I looked like a bandit when I was told to wear a bandana over my face when grooming as a kid. To really help with "catching" the dander and hair - dampened it. Breathe rite strips to keep your nose & nasal airways open. Liquid Benedryl in the barn for any severe reactions (or a scrip that work QUICKLY for you if you have a sudden reaction in the barn).

Long sleeve shirts. Long pants, boots, socks. I can now (and do) wear shorts, but sometimes I pay for it when I break out - but my reactions are much less now then when I was younger.

WHEN you have the testing done - before you get scrips - check to be sure that the "test group" worked right. Mine didn't in the military as they "did it wrong" (DON"T ASK). They didn't want to re-do the testing - expensive then, not sure about now - haven't checked. Part of my problem didn't result just from allergies but a lack of "something" in my tears - causing blocked tearducts (an easy fix at an eye checkup) that created many other problems with my eyes and nasal areas!

Research changing your diet - sometimes changes in what you consume/drink will change your body's reaction to what you are around outside... Even if only a little bit, it helps.

Part of the reason I feed free choice hay is I don't have to handle it. It's not just easier/faster for me - it's more healthy. Here in NC, the type of hay doesn't seem to matter - I can break out in hives (scritchy kind that become painful) when I handle hay - even with long sleeves. I may sweat like crazy and get hot, but sometimes I will wear a tall necked t or a light weight (women's) turtle neck when handling hay - to prevent any hay/chaff from "cozying up". LOL. When mowing my pastures, I notice when I don't wear a mask - that night I will have problems. I hate wearing masks. The bandana idea still works!

Never tested, but I think I'm sensitive to alfalfa (only react if I handle it too much). Not sure if the horses or grass hay bother me, or not.

I'm allergic to at least two weeds, as my allergies really act up when those two weeds are blooming in the spring/summer.

Yes, I am allergic to grass hay. All I have to do is smell it for me to start sneezing and having itchy eye's. I also break out, if it touches my skin. Zirtec or Allegra takes care of all my symptoms. When I was little, I was so bad with allergies, that my eyes would swell. Thank goodness that doesn't happen anymore.

I have HORRIBLE allergies associated with basically everything outside/horse related. I also have Asthma and have since I was very little. First thing I would recommend is an all natural Immuno-supplement called "Quercetin". You can get it online and are able to take it up to 4 times daily. It works very well and also helps boost the rest of your immune system to help with illness, etc.

The second thing I would recommend (more long term) is Allergy Shots.This past year, my allergies and asthma have been so awful that I was going through inhalers like candy and could not seem to get relief. I Was tested years ago and did a course of the Immuno-therapy allergy shots. They worked Wonders! I was then re-tested this last year and developed new allergies. I was again started on the allergy shots but kept having reactions. I talked to my pulmonologist, and decided to test my IGE (which is basically how much your body is reacting). The number is supposed to be under 150 but mine was 3,666! This explained why the shots werent working. (btw I am a RARE case) He decided to see if I could get approved for Xolair. After months of red tape, I was finally approved and get my first injection on thursday! I cannot wait to be able to breathe again!

Now that my ramble is over, the point of my story is the effectiveness of the Allergy shots. You have to do them religiously for several years (longest in my family was a 5year course) but you should see results sooner rather than later. They worked wonders for me the first go around which is why I decided to try again.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find relief soon!

I have had allergies to many things many years ago.I would sometimes break out in hives.Another time we were putting up hay and straw and I had trouble breathing.got tested and was allergic to grass, molds and several other things.At that time the closest allergist was 60 miles from my home.Went to get tested and determined the culprits.Dr. mixed up the vaccine and sent it to my kids' pediatrician.Went in 2 times weekly for shots,then once weekly,then every other week and so on.That was years ago and I now have no trouble.I think the shots can be worth it.

I am also allergic to all things barn related and always have been.

My doctor always said, "Why couldn't you have been one of those people who liked to sit and knit rather than be an animal person?"

I have asthma, allergies and was born with diminished lung capacity which of course doesn't help. So I sneeze, cough, get hives, runny eyes and a drippy nose as well as being short of breath. I'm also allergic to many plants, soils, pollen, molds and foods.

I just had my immunoglobulin tested and my IgG is way out of whack. My pulmonary doc said it may have always been out of whack which would explain my chronic sinuitis infections or it could be out of whack because of the constant infections. He's put me on an anitibiotic treatment once a month for the next year to see if we can break the cycle of infections and bolster my immunities. I was also mildly anemic so I now take an iron pill. Your red blood cells cannot carry as much oxygen if you are low in iron.

My pulmonary doctor thinks that allergy testing can be very fluky and inconsistent so he doesn't hang his hat by their results.

For a mask I use the cotton type like hospitals use. They seem to fit the face better than those fibre ones.

Vacuuming rather than brushing :: Blowing the barn aisleways rather than sweeping is quicker (keep the mask on) ::

Wash your hands a lot and don't continue to wear your barn clothes after you've returned to the house :: I like to wash my hair after my last trip in from the barn, at night, so I don't have anything clinging to me, overnight while I sleep. I don't have cats in the house and any dog I've ever had has never been able to be on the furniture or bed and they can't lick me.

Other than that this is the lifestyle I love. I will take my medications as directed and take the extra steps to minimize my

reactions. I've never breathed normally so not having animals wouldn't make it so, might make it better but I feel like if

I didn't have my animals - I couldn't breathe at all.

Hope your test results come back as something besides your animals. Keep us posted.

Should probably take it myself, but don't, yet... I wonder if Spirulina would help those of us with allergies and/or immune issues; its supposed to help boost your body's immune system (and I believe help with allergy issues).

I think so, unfortunately. I trimmed hooves the other day and I had to take an allergy pill just to sleep. I think mine are mold and dust mite related so I am blessed (knock on wood) that things get somewhat better during the spring and summer months. Don't be surprised, apparently allergies develop and worsen over time. I hope everything works out well for you!

My mother is and has been since she was tested at 4. She would kill me if I said how old she is now. That said she grew up and was on a farm most of her life, still has horses and has had them since 95' works with my aunt and animals all summer and did I mention she is allergic to almost every thing that floats in the air or that isnt food? She gets shots every month, takes over the counter allergy meds and has asthma. She does fine, but I typically put up the hay as she cant handle that.

I am lucky enough not to have bad allergies, but I basically caused mine two years ago. I was up in the loft and pushed a bale of hay down the chute and didn't pull back very fast. I ended up inhaling the dust and fine chaff that came back up the chute. I ended up with what they called allergy induced bronchitis from it. So now I am supposed to wear a mask when I handle the hay (do I? not usually. But I am aware of what I am doing-dumb move, huh?). I have claritin for if I need it. I have also found that since then, I sometimes get the symptoms around the arenas too; especially indoors. My symptoms are a cough and a slighty runny nose and some stuffiness. The cough is the main thing. It's like a really dry itchy feeling. People look at me like I will give a them something. I usually ignore them or just go "allergies".

Have friends who raised and showed Welsh ponies for years and were dairy farmers. The father was allergic to the hair. He would wear a mask to clip and groom manes and tails. But he did fine for all those years. He is totally retired now. And two years ago just had to find good homes for the last couple senior citizen ponies.

Yes, horses, dust, hay, shavings, and seasonal issues. Mine started when I was 16. They have improved since I have gotten my seasonal allergies under control by eating raw, unprocessed honey. I was so desperate that I have my own bee hives to make sure I'm capturing the pollen in my area. I was taking daily meds for my allergies but they didn't always help. I use to always wear a mask and rubber gloves around the horses. When I was done riding or brushing I would come in and wash my face, hands and change my clothes. I still do that today but I don't wear a mask and gloves anymore, so they can get better depending on how you manage it. I also do not take any daily meds anymore. Keep in mind you might be dealing with multiple triggers and when your body has too many it gets upset. Keep a journal to figure it out at first.

Back