Anybody here ever had a knee replacement?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minifancier

Reaction score
I am 2-1/2 weeks out of surgery from have a total knee replacement on my right knee. Just wondering if others here either have had one, going to have one done, or is just thinking about getting one done.

I am already walking all around with just a use of a cane. The surgery went just great and after having soooo much pain with my severe RA condition this is a piece of cake, Well sort of
default_wink.png

It feels so much better to stand and not having the sharp pain of RA in that one knee now at least the pain is tolerable, much so. And in a few eeks I will be saying geesh why did I not have this done 2 years ago~?

Just wondering as after this knee gets back up in real good condition I have a 3 year old mini gelding to start to ground drive
default_aktion033.gif
And I have everything ready a brand new harness just waiting to get used~!

I was in the hospital 4 days and went to a friends house for 3 more days before returning home which I live alone so now I have to get out and feed water etc. And that way I am doing my walking to keep the new knee from getting too sore, and to get it back into good shape.

There that sort of spells out what I have been going through the past few eeks and in quite a high range of pain for months~!

I have never had to have surgery yet on mine, but I have an appointment tomarrow on my left knee,

have had some pain. I have a knee brace for it. they are going to do an MRI on it.

My nurse griped at me alot about my knee. I had to go to physical Theropy for it.

i've known lots of people who have had them and they all got along wonderfully. i've had both of my hips replaced. airport security is the pits but it's one of the best things i ever did!

good luck with your recovery, sounds like you're coming along just fine!
default_aktion033.gif

i've known lots of people who have had them and they all got along wonderfully. i've had both of my hips replaced. airport security is the pits but it's one of the best things i ever did!

good luck with your recovery, sounds like you're coming along just fine!
default_aktion033.gif
Thank You. Yesterday I had the stitches taken out and after few hours later and after a nap lol I went out climbed on the lawn mower and mowed for 30 minutes ~! Came back in did more icing down, and today I may go back out and finish the mowing~!!

holy guacamole!!! at 2.5 weeks, i was still using a walker!! i was non-weight bearing for 6 entire weeks, both times. i'm amazed at you!! just be very careful, don't do too much all at once, even though you may feel like it. sometimes "too much" will sneak up on ya and you'll pay for it later.

Hi,

I had both my knees replaced this past year. The last one in March. I't s a whole new lease on life. I know you will do well. One thing I bought myself is a recumbent bicycle. It allows you to get that range of motion and strength training without standing. I got an ab lounge too so I wouldn't have to get on the floor to do my sit ups. You will do just fantastic I know. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other ?

HAD MINE DONE 2 YEARS AGO. ONE THING THAT REALLY HELPED WAS A STATIONARY BIKE. WAS IN THE HOSPITAL 4 DAYS, STARTED PHYSICAL THERAPY AT HOME 5TH DAY ON DAY 12 I WAS ABLE TO PEDAL THE BIKE OVER THE TOP. THAT REALLY TOOK QUITE A BIT TO DO, IT SEEMED LIKE FOREVER I COULD MAKE IT JUST BARELY TO THE TOP WITH THE PEDAL BUT COULDN'T PUSH IT OVER, THE PT THERAPIST ASK ME IF I WANTED HER TO HELP ME PUSH IT OVER AND I TOLD HER NO THAT I WOULD DO IT, IT WAS A FEAT FOR ME TO ACCOMPLISH BUT I DID IT. MY KNEE IS DOING GREAT!!! I DON'T FALL DOWN LIKE I USE TO ALL THE TIME. I RETURNED TO WORK AFTER 2 WEEKS WITH A CANE FOR 1 WEEK. NOW THE OTHER ONE IS STARTING WHAT MY NEW ONE WAS DOING, SO IT MAY BE AWHILE BUT WILL PROBABLY IN THE FUTURE HAVE IT DONE. OH I WAS OUT AFTER 2 WEEKS FEEDING HORSES, JUST FEED MIND YOU NOT THE HAY, HUBBY DID THAT. I NOW CAN GET UP ON OUR 15.2 MARE AND WALK HER, NOT SUPPOSE TO RIDE AND IF I DO IT IS ONLY SUPPOSE TO BE AT A WALK, BACK PROBLEMS NOT THE KNEE. THE DOC SAID I COULD DO ANYTHING I DID BEFORE WITH MY KNEE, JUST DON'T START SOMETHING NEW I HAD NEVER DONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
holy guacamole!!! at 2.5 weeks, i was still using a walker!! i was non-weight bearing for 6 entire weeks, both times. I'm amazed at you!! just be very careful, don't do too much all at once, even though you may feel like it. sometimes "too much" will sneak up on ya and you'll pay for it later.
I am careful and resting some today yesterday the Doc said I was doing great and keep up the good work in 3 weeks I go back and they will take X-Rays to see how the new one has "set in"

Ya they get you up the next day and you start walking around at the hospital.

The best thing the Doc said to do was walk walk walk. And walking with a cane is not bad at all. And for most of the time walking around the house I use no aid at all. And now I see the incision is healing up just fine, as now I have no need to even keep it covered up by a covering or bandage. For most of it has completely healed over and is looking great. But you have to also know I am fairly young yet at 57 and have no other health issues except this severe RA condition, and have been on SS Dis now for the last 5 years as I can't work anymore and have been really in high pain for many years in the past. So much pain even while working I was taking around 25 aspirins or Ibuprofens every day for the last 20 years while trying just to STAY working.~! Then after going on Dis. I have been on Enbrel and Methotrexate or at the end the last 3 years on Humira getting one shot a week trying to get the pain down and inflammation down to a manageable level.

Today I went out and brushed my mini he really liked that.~! He did not care if I was standing there along side of him with cane in hand.

The Doc told me the people that have had severe RA like have and going through as much pain for a long period of time as I have done this recovery pain is way below what we have experienced and do show a much faster rate of success at recovering. I don't know but I do know THIS when I stand up and put equally wt. on both legs the pain is very low and far behind what I had been going through with the RA stiffness and soreness in just getting up from a chair. WAY better now (the pain level), then what I had been experiencing before the new knee was put in.

I'm 4 years out on my left knee replacement and I've had no problems. If and when my other goes out I will be the first one to say uncle and get it done!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Latest posts

Back