Anybody else experiance this at Tractor Supply?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
I really really dont like this store, never have but there isnt anything else with in an hour from me that carries what I need.

So I was away farm setting this weekend. My other half was home with our animals. I got a call about one of the horses. This crazy weather and the fact that she is clipped she is appearing to get a bit of a cold. So I told her to go to town and get me some Pen. and needles.

Not really the horse swave person, had to ask for help.

All she needed to know is if the pen. was the right stuff and if the needles were the right size. (which thankfully she did get the right stuff and size).

The people would not help her, instead told her to take the horse to the vet. This really tickes me off. First its a sunday, no vets open except in a emergancey. Second I have yet to find a vet around her that does horse work. Seems they are all dog/cat vets which to me is odd as there are all kinds of horses around here. Third, I knew what I needed to treat the horse. At this point it isnt neccessary for a vet, should it become that then she will go.

I havent had much luck with the people there, they are very unhelpful and not to nice. If I would of been there I would of asked them why they sell medicinces and vaccs. then if they just tell everybody to go to the vet if they have a question on a product?

I guess my biggest pet peeve is, its a farm store..........do you think you could get people who have a clue about farm stuff and not some ol city slicker that doesnt even know what a halter is?

I can understand being annoyed
default_sad.png

It may be store policy though due to liability with the way things are these days... like a policy accross the board, no medical/vetting advice?

default_sad.png

It may be store policy though due to liability with the way things are these days... like a policy accross the board, no medical/vetting advice?
She may be right on the money there. Here the major cities have a Tractor Supply store so I can imagine not alot of farm folks work there either. Only the major reasons I go there is because they carry the bags of mini feed, in the past it was sure hard to keep a supply in handy tho and that was annoying. I do like the store but I guarantee there just isn't alot of farm folks that work there and aren't much help.

default_sad.png

She may be right on the money there. Here the major cities have a Tractor Supply store so I can imagine not alot of farm folks work there either. Only the major reasons I go there is because they carry the bags of mini feed, in the past it was sure hard to keep a supply in handy tho and that was annoying. I do like the store but I guarantee there just isn't alot of farm folks that work there and aren't much help.

Exactly and unfortunate at times.

I work for Petco.. it's a policy to protect us and the company.

I get SO many people who don't have a clue (and those who do) who want to self medicate their animals and well.. you can only offer so much advice and experience.. but we do have to protect the company and ourselves..

Wow....my TSC here is great and I love the employees there. They sell the vaccinations and needles, so I don't understand why they would say to call the vet for vaccines. That just makes no sense to me.

We have two or three TSC's here and they do not hire all that many people who actually have the knowledge about what they are selling, BUT i know i can find atleast one horse person working almost at all times, just have to ask to speak with someone who knows about the products in that department.

I would think it has something to do with store policy too.

If you think about it, if it is store policy, it's not like they've got a measuring stick like at amusement parks... "you must know _____ much about horses before offering advice"
default_biggrin.png
Got to be a huge range of experience working there, and sometimes people can think they know answers when they don't. I'm just happy by regulation, my assistants cannot give any investment advice to my clients
default_biggrin.png
And maybe TSC has its own rules, too
default_yes.gif

I have always loved Tractor Supply. They have been very helpful to me. I am sorry you had a bad experience more than a couple of times with them.
default_no.gif

I don't believe it is just the Tractor Store, find other stores are the same now, hire without training, no knowledge and do not care about the costomer, you can always go somewhere else? they give you the impression if you do not like us... not getting any better
default_wacko.png

Yes I agree, if you are in a department learn where and what you are selling and try to help the costomer. I remember when the saying used to be costormers are always right.

I believe that went out the door behind you.
default_bye-sad.gif

TSC here is pretty good - but not all of the employees are well versed on what they sell. The only problem I have with them is that they can be incredibly slow if the store gets busy. I bought shavings there until I found a better supplier, and I've waited 15-20 minutes sitting at the back dock for someone, even called the front again from my cell and asked them to please send someone back to load me up. If shavings are outside, I load my own....saves me hours LOL.

Jan

I had her get Pen. and needles. I had needles but when I moved my horses out I left them with my mom as she wouldnt have a clue what to get if needed. The last Pen. I had was expired so needed new stuff. She asked what gauge needle to get....and if they had long acting pen.

I to typically go to Fleet Farm for my stuff. The nearest is just over an hour away so I tend to get it on a day im at school to save time and a trip. So when I need something now I am forced to go to TS.

We have been shopping at TSC for 20 years but the closest stores were 4-500 miles from us. Last fall we finally got one 15 miles from here. Unfortunately most of the employees know nothing about anything except one lady. They can't keep stuff instock and when someone special orders something they put it on the shelf as soon as it comes in. As you can guess often it is sold before they let the person know the order is in. This spring I needed a portable pump, no problem they stock the one I needed. When I get there to pick it up the only one is on display, no box, no accessories, warrenty info or directions. I asked they guy working in that area where the rest of it was, his response was "store policy is to put all inventory on display". I asked where everything that goes with the pump is? He asnwered "store policy is to put everything on display". I asked if store policy was to lose all the pieces and parts as well as proof of purchase? He just walked off.

We had Big R stores in Illinois and I miss them so much!! Biggest problem with our TSC is that they are always out of everything. I recently bought all my Tposts there (huge bill) and they promised to get my braided rope electric fence in. Nope they didnt get it in. Grrrr. I actually asked them if they were going out of business since the shelves are mostly empty

I can't stand TSC either. The ones I've been in can't keep things in stock, employees don't know squat, and they're rude. I've started to do all of my shopping at the Co-op. At least there, I own a share.

Let's take a quick look at the whole retail issue---we will all have our horror stories and aggravating situations regarding shopping issues or quests for hard to find items.

We expect convenience, experience, assistance and appreciation for spending our hard earned cash in various stores -- we are the consumer. Retail workers on the other hand are the low man on employment pole. Have you ever "needed" a job? Wanted a few extra bucks for whatever--maybe a new harness or a high stud fee? You can always get a job in retail. The hours are usually 9 to 10 at night. The pay is

unbelieveably low and you usually have a manager, who, although they may have a college degree, they

don't have the sense God gave a goose. Why is the turn-over so great in retail? Why is the pay so low?

Work environment is high stress and gratification is extremely low to non-existent.

You may want to ask a question of a clerk at Wal-Mart about where to find the knitting wool or plastic buckets so you try to stop one passing by and get a glare or less than adequate reply because THEY have

to get a cart unloaded or a manager will be done their throat and threaten their job. You ask a little

high school girl at TSC about what kind or size of syringe is needed and you get a strange answer because she is afraid someone may complain to the manager and she will lose her little 6 dollar an hour job and there goes her prom dress.

Have any of us ever complained about service and asked for a manager? That is punishment for sure

for whomever is getting that complaint against them.

There is no easy answer to this issue--yet, I see the frustration and resentment on both the customer and retail worker side of the issue. I, personally, do my best not to expect too much if anything beyond location

in TSC or Wal-Mart or any store. Too often retail workers are treated as sub-human so how can we expect anything from them?

We all work for one reason---we have too. Some of us are just lucky enough to have a more respected position in our community.

Let's take a quick look at the whole retail issue---we will all have our horror stories and aggravating situations regarding shopping issues or quests for hard to find items.

We expect convenience, experience, assistance and appreciation for spending our hard earned cash in various stores -- we are the consumer. Retail workers on the other hand are the low man on employment pole. Have you ever "needed" a job? Wanted a few extra bucks for whatever--maybe a new harness or a high stud fee? You can always get a job in retail. The hours are usually 9 to 10 at night. The pay is

unbelieveably low and you usually have a manager, who, although they may have a college degree, they

don't have the sense God gave a goose. Why is the turn-over so great in retail? Why is the pay so low?

Work environment is high stress and gratification is extremely low to non-existent.

You may want to ask a question of a clerk at Wal-Mart about where to find the knitting wool or plastic buckets so you try to stop one passing by and get a glare or less than adequate reply because THEY have

to get a cart unloaded or a manager will be done their throat and threaten their job. You ask a little

high school girl at TSC about what kind or size of syringe is needed and you get a strange answer because she is afraid someone may complain to the manager and she will lose her little 6 dollar an hour job and there goes her prom dress.

Have any of us ever complained about service and asked for a manager? That is punishment for sure

for whomever is getting that complaint against them.

There is no easy answer to this issue--yet, I see the frustration and resentment on both the customer and retail worker side of the issue. I, personally, do my best not to expect too much if anything beyond location

in TSC or Wal-Mart or any store. Too often retail workers are treated as sub-human so how can we expect anything from them?

We all work for one reason---we have too. Some of us are just lucky enough to have a more respected position in our community.
I've worked retail and yes, it's the worst job in the world in my opinion. BUT and it's a big BUT, I went to work every day, learned the store, and did my best to be helpful to the customers. Regardless of why anyone works in retail, it's their job to KNOW their job. And if you work in a store like TSC, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, ext then you need to get some basic knowledge of the layout of the store and if you can't answer the question be smart enough to find someone who can! You get paid for what you're worth; and if you don't know
default_xkngt.gif
you get paid
default_xkngt.gif
!

So, part of your job as a minimum wage worker is to know everything about every product in the store you work in? Please. Give me a break. I used to work in a small, family owned pet store that had everything from small pets, fish and reptiles to puppies and kittens for sale as well as supplies for them all. I have researched animals and their care almost exclusively since before landing that job almost 10 years ago (as a 15 year old) and I am STILL learning things about that job.
default_wacko.png

Perhaps consumers should do a little research themselves if they know they have been dissatisfied with answers they've recieved from store workers before, like I do. I don't walk into Petsomething and expect the kids working there to be up on my way of feeding, or training, or veterinary care of my dogs, and the same is true for when I walk into a feed store for something for my pony.

So, part of your job as a minimum wage worker is to know everything about every product in the store you work in? Please. Give me a break. I used to work in a small, family owned pet store that had everything from small pets, fish and reptiles to puppies and kittens for sale as well as supplies for them all. I have researched animals and their care almost exclusively since before landing that job almost 10 years ago (as a 15 year old) and I am STILL learning things about that job.
default_wacko.png

Perhaps consumers should do a little research themselves if they know they have been dissatisfied with answers they've recieved from store workers before, like I do. I don't walk into Petsomething and expect the kids working there to be up on my way of feeding, or training, or veterinary care of my dogs, and the same is true for when I walk into a feed store for something for my pony.

Not know everything, but at least know how to find out instead of standing there with the attitude "it's not my job". All I need to know is where it is, if you have it, and if you don't when are you getting it.

"All I need to know is where it is, if you have it, and if you don't when are you getting it."

That's not all that was being asked in this topic, and even if it was that's still a loaded question to expect a minimum wage employee to be able to answer when you consider the hundreds or thousands of products most stores carry. Maybe the next time someone doesn't know the answer to your question, YOU can ask to speak with a manager. They're usually the ones getting paid marginally more for a title that doesn't guarantee that they know more than the rest of the store employees.

Latest posts

Back