Any yorkie breeders here?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I have had yorkies all my life. I just lost my rescue girl the day after Christmas. She was 15 and had a large tumor inside. We had her for a year and a half. She was kept in a dark damp cellar for 2 years after her owner died and then was schedule to be put to sleep. We took her in and fixed her up and loved her until the end. I still have another 15 year old femal( deaf and senile) and a year old german import girl... sweeter than sugar.

I willeventually be looking for breeders of healthy tinies, say 3-4 pounds. Anyone out there? Tell me about your dogs. Where are you located? Thanks!

I'm also looking at maybe getting a yorkie in the future. So I am interested to know as well.

I bred Tina Marie last year but opted not to this year. Becareful about the getting the wee ones! Alot of times their health isn't as good so you have to look closely. Bite, flex the knees to see is you feel any clicking (luxating patellas). If you see a breeder advertising the smaller ones as "toy Yorkies" be sceptical because all yorkies are in the toy breed but these people will increase their price and market them differently.

Here is Dora the Explorer and little Winston from last year. Aren't they cute!!??!!

Good luck finding you that special one!

Fran

'>My Webpage

I will also be looking I have a 13 yr old, and a 8 yr old.

We have one AKC male puppy left out of our last litter. He will be 8 wks old Jan 15th.

Anyone wanting specific info feel free to pm me.

My Aunt just got one for Christmas. She is a "teacup" and is pretty small. The breeder is here in New Mexico and is very particular about who she sells the pups too. Mistletoe is going to be about 3-4# when grown.

Yorkshire terrier standard is 3-7 lbs.

I do not classify mine as "teacup" "toy" "tiny" or any of that sales hype. This is just words used to "jack up" prices!

Yes I can give you a general idea of size but it is only a guess and from previous experiences.

Before buying any puppy , I suggest reading and learning all you can about that breed.

[SIZE=14pt]I feel like asking those breeders that use the terms.............[/SIZE]

What is a teacup?

What is a 6-7 pounder called?

How much difference in a "teacup" and "tiny"?

Do you guarantee weight as adult, since it is a "teacup"?

If it turns out to be a "toy" do I get a refund?

This is just hilarious!

And for the most part a lot of "BULL" to validate outlandish prices.

hee hee not laughing at you......just thinking of all the times I see "rare parti poodles" or "rare chocolate chow" or some other nonsense that usually is an animal with a disqualifying trait
wink.gif

minihaven said:
Yorkshire terrier standard is 3-7 lbs.I do not classify mine as "teacup" "toy" "tiny" or any of that sales hype. This is just words used to "jack up" prices!

Yes I can give you a general idea of size but it is only a guess and from previous experiences.

Before buying any puppy , I suggest reading and learning all you can about that breed.

[SIZE=14pt]I feel like asking those breeders that use the terms.............[/SIZE]

What is a teacup?

This is just hilarious!

535406[/snapback]

A more important consideration in the Yorkie breed than "tiny" size should be health. We see a LOT of "tiny" or "teacup" breeds in our vet clinic and an awful lot of them have some serious health issues. Many times the "teacups" are small BECAUSE of health issues!

The big ones for most of the tiny breeds (Yorkies as well as some of the other small breeds) are:

Collapsing trachea

Heart issues

Liver Shunts

Luxating Patellas

Retinal Dysplasia

Genetic health has nothing to do with whether the animal is "show quality" or not......if you want a healthy pet then health is of importance and in order to make sure you are getting a healthy pet you need to ask questions as to the testing procedures done on the pup and parents to help to improve your chance of a healthy pup.. This is true in ANY breed! Be an informed "consumer"!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yorkies are great little dogs ! I just love mine (penny). I did have 2 but we lost penny's sister a year ago . Here is a great website, all yorkie talk all the time! www.yorkietalk.com .You can find great breeders from all over the world .They are very friendly and helpful .

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/

minihaven said:
Yorkshire terrier standard is 3-7 lbs.I do not classify mine as "teacup" "toy" "tiny" or any of that sales hype. This is just words used to "jack up" prices!

What is a teacup?

This is just hilarious!

535406[/snapback]

I do agree with you though I do beleive there is a diference from a 3 lb yorkie, and a 7 lb yorkie, I like it when they say teacup, cause I know they are the small ones, say if you had a 7 lb yorkie stud, and you were looking for a 7 lb female, you go looking through and find one, and you buy it, then you find out its only going to be 3 lbs after you buy it, what then, are you going to breed your 7 lb yorkie to the 3 lb yorkie, when it could have all been solved if they would have said teacup, cause they are smaller than the bigger ones? I know 4 lbs diference dosent sound like alot, but when you are breeding that small, Every OUNCE counts!

Gage

More often than not the term "teacup" is misused. Many times bad breeders use it to describe puppies who are sickly and/or who are being sold too young so they are smaller than usual. IMO if anyone is hoping to purchase a puppy that will mature to X pounds they should buy an adult dog as no one can tell for certain how much a puppy will weigh when fully grown.

yes, I agree. I have had yorkies all my life, shrimps and jumbo shrimps too. I prefer getting a yorkie that is mature so that I know I am not getting one that will be 13 lbs. All my yorkies except for two have been adults, some have been rescues. There is nothing wrong in wanting a smaller yorkie, if you understand the possible health risks, that could be involved, and watch out for them prior to buying. I have done my research... all my life... I am 52 years old. The bigger yorkies are just as sweet and sturdy, just my preference is for the tinies. I have an almost 4 lb girl and an 8.5 lb girl also.

Latest posts

Back