Any one here trim their own horses hooves?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

New_Image

How did you learn, did some one show you - did you go to school for it - buy a hoof trimming book or what?

I would really like to learn how to trim hooves so I can do the minis feet. I will leave my ridding horses to the profesionals, but I would like to learn how to trim. Thinking of asking my farrier to show me how and let me try one of the boys next time around.

Yes, you should go for doing your own minis. My daughter in law, who went to "barefoot" school helped me, and my sister who learned from her helped me (they have large horses). They taught my husband to trim frogs, as I am still wary of the hoof knife. I am learning to use the knife, but do not trust myself wholly yet. By rasping frequently--I do it briefly nearly every time I groom--you shouldn't need any other routine trimming. I am not one to learn from book directions and need someone to actually demonstrate, but if you are one to learn from a book, I'll bet you could do it just fine. It makes me look at their feet frequently, which I believe is important for overall health. I have not researched on the net, but "barefoot horse" ought to bring up anything you want to know!

Marsha

My hubby,..Fred,......has over 16 years experience with cattle and other farm critters,...and when we lived in Nova Scotia,....We had horses and he would watch our farrier trim our horses feet all the time,....now he knows how to do it himself,....

I never learned yet,..but,....Fred does a wonderful job!!!!!!!
aktion033.gif

By rasping frequently--I do it briefly nearly every time I groom--you shouldn't need any other routine trimming.

See I wondered if you could do that... If I rasped there feet once a week or so if I can just do that?

I do most of the time, esp for my broodmares. I'll have a professional do my young foals or show horses at least part of the year. But I do save a lot of money doing my own mares.

I started by asking the farrier if he would let me trim the horses while he supervised. Of course he was MORE than happy to get paid to trim horses while I did all the work!

I also have a friend who does her own horses (about 80 of them!) who took the time to show me some specific things to be aware of with miniatures.

Here are the tools I found helpful for doing minis:

1) Hoof pick (of course!)

2) Hoof knife (I actually don't use this a whole lot. Hoof knives are specific to right or left hand, so make sure you get the right one)

3) Rasp

4) Small hoof nippers (sometimes called foal nippers) (blade is only about 1" wide)

5) Nail nipper - I use these to trim hooves - they are not really meant for this, but I find regular 12" or 14" hoof nippers hard to use. You can also find medium sized hoof nippers that would probably work better.

6) Pair of gloves so you don't rasp your knuckles!

We want to get a good rasp and maybe some tools to do our own trimming between trips from the farrier. I don't want to buy junk, but I also don't want to buy top-of-the line-take-out-a-second-mortgage set.

Any recommendations?

I had watched farriers work on my horses for years, so I finally just decided to bite the bullet and try it myself. My uncle trims all of their Miniatures, so he showed me once how to do it. I haven't been able to find any small hoof nippers, so all I have right now is a rasp and a knife.

Oh yes and I found out the hard way WHY you want gloves whenever using a rasp...so don't make the mistake of thinking you don't really need them, like I did
rolleyes.gif
I believe I am going to have a nice scar as a reminder too.

I'm still learning, but if I can do it, you can too...so don't be afraid to give it a try!
yes.gif

I found some one-handed foal nippers that I would LOVE to try, but they are very pricy so I think I'm going to have to wait until I win the lottery!
yes.gif

If anyone knows of any good one-handed nippers, I would like to hear about them. I think the hardest part is re-opening the nippers w/one hand while you're trying to hold your horse with the other - esp when you have arthritis in your hands
no.gif

Click here for one-handed foal nippers

I would like to learn too! I KNOW they have nippers made specificly(SP) for miniature horses!

-Gage-

Harvey and I have touched ours up for years, and maybe 9 or so months ago, started doing an entire job on our own. Now we kind of do them a couple / few times, then have the farrier out for him to do them...

We learned by talking with and watching our farriers (several have helped us learn), and by ordering and watching that hoof trimming video available through many of the mini supply places.

I will say, you "need" to buy good nippers in mini size, not the $25 or so kind. We bought a good set of nippers, mini rasp, and a hoof knife when we started doing more than just touching up.

The main factor is us doing our own is that it's not easy to get the farrier out and is very convenient to do them ourselves, as our time permits vs. having to do them ALL at once and on the farrier's schedule.

Nicole, I usually call the farrier for the first trim of the year and then do them the rest of the time...I spent many days "volunteering" my assistance to the farrier to learn and watch. I went with him many times to observe and while I was at it I handled horses when needed. It was fun and I learned too...I am a little cautious sometimes, and don't forget if you aren't sure...don't do it.

VICKIE HAS TRIMMED HOOFS FOR MANY YEARS, SHE LEARNED FROM AN OLD TIMER. SHE DOES ALL THE WEANLINGS, ETC. IF YOU WANT ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS, CALL HER AT 405-323-7010 SHE WOULD BE GLAD TO GIVE YOU TIPS.

alphahorses said:
I found some one-handed foal nippers that I would LOVE to try, but they are very pricy so I think I'm going to have to wait until I win the lottery!   
yes.gif

If anyone knows of any good one-handed nippers, I would like to hear about them.  I think the hardest part is re-opening the nippers w/one hand while you're trying to hold your horse with the other - esp when you have arthritis in your hands 
no.gif

Click here for one-handed foal nippers

435210[/snapback]

I bought my Hubby a pair of these one handed nippers - they are FABULOUS! We actually had ours made with a 3/4" face instead of the 1" face. It makes it easier to go around the curve of tiny little hooves.
wub.gif

The price seems high at first, but these are *Quality* tools, and will last you years and years and years. Once you factor that in, the cost is really quite minimal! And just using them once on each of our horses saved us enough instead of using the farrier, to pay for them entirely!
yes.gif

Nancy
smile.gif

(Edited Note - Hubby has been a Farrier for Traditional sized horses for 25+ years, he did not just buy nippers and have a go at it, you should always have supervision, or learn from a professional before "trying this at home!" )

Last edited by a moderator:
I was taught how by the same woman who I bought my horse from. She trims all the hooves on her farm & helped a lot. If I were you I would ask your farrier for tips & what not. Im sure s/he could help you alot.

smile.gif

I do all my own minis but as I am a professional farrier I have no choice. I

actually started trimming horses at age 19 and left the shoeing to the "pros" .

When I decided to do other peoples horses I went to school. I have been a

professional farrier for 18 years, and actually been trimming for well over 30.

I commend anyone who wants to do their own, however please be aware as in

all things there are many "fads" in trimming and shoeing. Common sense should

always prevail. The best tools are made by GE. There are also many farrier

suppliers [Meaders, Horseshoes Plus, Centaur Forge LTD,etc.] that will be much

reasonable in the cost of tools and they are on line too! Anyone who needs help

just let me know! Linda Best
wub.gif

Thanks for all the info every one. I am definatly looking into trimming the minis hooves, probley start out with just a rasp
smile.gif

Fred said:
smile.gif
The best tools are made by GE.  There are also many farrier

suppliers [Meaders, Horseshoes Plus, Centaur Forge LTD,etc.] that will be much

reasonable in the cost of tools and they are on line too!  Anyone who needs help

just let me know!  Linda Best
wub.gif

435391[/snapback]

Linda - can you recommend a place where I can buy nippers that are easy to open and close with one hand? Something without a really long handle.

Thanks!

Ronaele

After watching and helping with our regular size horses for years i do mine myself. A good pair of diagonal cutters and a good rasp is what is used mostly. Can't do more than one a day cause my back does me in but with only six for now we do ok. I learned how to use the diaganal cutters on my dairy goats feet years ago. works good to.

Latest posts

Back