any ideas to help this stupid burn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
didn't have the bandages changed today tomorrow is debraison tonite its so swollen and sore feels like bee stings before during and after anyone kinda know what i mean i keep it cold often keep it elevated beginning to see drainage in 2 bad spots i'll admit this really creeps/shakes me up scared for tomorrow so very tired taking 800mg motrin tummy is not happy today so no more will try tylenol sad that my family all of them cannot take any codeine based drugs
no.gif
sure wish i could get some relief plan to ask for something else to at least let me rest ponies are great fun to sit like a lump watching them run and buck in the snow out my window i do count my lucky stars i was very lucky but i am getting kinda sad here sick of the discomfort i can handle most anything but this one is sure testing me tons thanks for being here to whine too without feeling stupid hugs debs

Hang in there Debs.....gosh, I can only imagine what you are going through.... I am just so sorry this happened to you. I hope tomorrow goes well, I wish I had better advice, but all I can do is send a cyber hug......... sorry you can't keep taking the motrin....it upsets my tummy too...... hopefully the tylenol will give a little relief.

I am just in awe that you can type..... I am happy that atleast you get to see your horsies, atleast that is a bright spot!!

Take care, and I am sending prayers & best wishes your way!!
yes.gif

My brother had a 3rd and 4th degree burn in his hand. I had to care for it before and after he got it taken care of. I'm not sure what else you could use for the pain. Does Demeral upset your tummy? That's a good drug for pain. Also are they putting silvadine ointment on it when they change it? That works wonders. I had to change my brothers 2 times a day because of drainage and because it hurt so bad. They gave him morfine(sp?).

Christy

Hi Deb - I have found Aloe Vera helpful for deep burns, I take the leaf of the plant and rub it on the burn. As for the tummy, I am battling tummy problems due to Doctor prescribed large doses of motrin,tylenol and heavy antibotics for abscessed tooth. I have found that Carafate helps heal the tummy you might check with the doctor tomorrow to see if any of this might help you. Best wishes.

Dimimore said:
didn't have the bandages changed today  tomorrow is debraison  tonite its so swollen and sore  feels like bee stings  before during and after  anyone kinda know what i mean  i keep it cold often  keep it elevated  beginning to see drainage in 2 bad spots  i'll admit  this really creeps/shakes me up  scared for tomorrow  so very tired  taking 800mg motrin  tummy is not happy today  so no more will try tylenol  sad that my family all of them cannot take any codeine based drugs
no.gif
  sure wish i could get some relief  plan to ask for something else to at least let me rest  ponies are great  fun to sit like a lump watching them run and buck in the snow out my window  i do count my lucky stars  i was very lucky  but  i am getting kinda sad here  sick of the discomfort  i can handle most anything but this one is sure testing me tons  thanks for being here to whine too without feeling stupid  hugs  debs
511408[/snapback]

Can they give you a topical analgesic? I also advocate aloe vera gel and once the burns start to heal vitamin e............oh man I wish I had asked more questions....my aunt (by marriage) is a PT in one of the top burn units in the US......and sadly I have minimal experience with burns......I sure hope you start feeling better

on a side note I recall reading something about using potatoe skins on burn victims and how it preserved the tissue and aided healing....heck worth a try might cool the burning........

When I had a burn (it wasnt nothing near as bad as yours, i think I melted the sting on to the end of my finger) I found this thing in a first aid kit and it was a type of bandage that is gelly and really cold!!

I will try and find out what it was it was cool!

GAge

Deb I am so sorry it is hurting so bad.

Look, from what I have heard, when it is hurting really bad, that means that the inside is trying to heal. Sleep as much as possible. Oooh I am sorry!!!!

If you can get your hands on some Emu oil, get it. There is nothing better for burns than plain emu oil. It will take the pain out, help heal it and help with scarring. Please, look up info on emu oil and see how wonderful it is. It only takes a very small amount!

Pam

Like you I cannot tolerate any type of pain killer. I either get deathly ill or it does nothing at all and I'm talking taking an amount that is enough to kill a normal person. I've had to learn to control my chronic and acute pain issues in other ways.

Deb you will think I'm totally off my rocker but what you have to do is activiate your own opioids via your brain chemicals. It is a bit scary at first and very counter intuitive but what you need to do is do a bit of something akin to meditation. Allow yourself to relax as much as possible then embrace the pain in it's fullest intensity-- every excruciating moment of it. The biggest hurdle is the fear of it but once you overcome the desire to run from it the pain will actually defeat itself. Do it for as long as you can stand it then move your thoughts to other more pleasant things and don't dwell on the pain until the next round. I'm sorry to say the first couple of times will be absolute heck on earth but the mind does train easily. You should find your pain lessening with each encounter as your brain starts releasing it's own "morphine like" pain control. I hope this will work as well for you as it does for me because without this technique it I think I would have ended my life long ago.

Deb

I dont often read the back porch but Jodi told me about this last night. I too have had second and 3rd degree burns on my hands and one leg and I know it is very painful and unfortunately once they do the debriding it will be more painful. Ask them for something more after the cleansing. Silverdine as was mentioned is wonderful cooling and healing and most importantly no scarring. DONT let the dog lick the 3rd degree area. They should give you something tomorrow for an ointment that should help. You were so very lucky I fell into a grassfire and had both hands and my right leg badly burned and it took a long long time but hands came out fine though one thumb has a shortened tendon. Leg does have a bad scar but I still consider myself so very lucky. Take care and know we are thinking of you.

Poor, poor Debs
unsure.gif
cheekkiss.gif
cheekkiss.gif

Listen to your Aunty Shirley, she is spot on. Talk to Bonnie, she may be able to help guide you on this one, but....you have the answer within you, everyone does.

DO NOT let the dog lick it- whilst it might help in an emergency type situation where nothing else is available, you have only to think for a moment about where the average doggy has it's tongue at least 50% of it's waking moments to see how silly this one would be!!!

I hope the debriding is not too painful, get them to give you a local, as they will have forgotten that you cannot take pain killers!!

Who suggested a local anaesthetic cream?? That sounds like a good one, even though, as you know Mart is right about the pain being there for a reason, you still don't need more than enough to keep you on your toes!!!
rolleyes.gif

So, meditation- should be a doddle- there's not much els you can do at the moment.

You just have to go with the flow!!
smile.gif

{{{{BIG HUGS}}}

Jane

my 2 cents worth. DON'T use aloe vera on your burn. I worked in the hospital and if someone came in with a burn and they had put aloe vera on it, they would literally SCRUB the burn to make sure they got all the aloe off!!!
new_shocked.gif

My mothers 2 cents, put olive oil on it. It will help the dead tissue come off easier and it is a great healer.
yes.gif

Sending you good thoughts and {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Robin

SOORY IVE NO ADVISE BUT IM STILL THINKING OF YOU AND FEELING VERY SORRY FOR YOU, I HOPE YOUR BETTER SOON ...POOR YOU ...
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Oooh Debbie I'm sooo sorry your hurting.

I got a second degree burn on my wrist a couple of years ago, and it hurt horribly, but it wasn't bad enough to get major medical attention. It was small, only the size of a golf ball. So my Dr. Aunt looked at it and prescribed me Silvadene (sp?) Cream for it. That cream made it soooo much better, and I just kept it wrapped up until it healed. I still have the scar though.

I agree with the Emu Oil, wonderful stuff, just get your Dr.'s OK first.

Hugs
wub.gif

horsefeather said:
If you can get your hands on some Emu oil, get it.  There is nothing better for burns than plain emu oil.  It will take the pain out, help heal it and help with scarring.  Please, look up info on emu oil and see how wonderful it is.  It only takes a very small amount!Pam

511537[/snapback]

Ya know I have always wondered exactly how do they get that oil out of the emu?
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

You poor thing, I hope that you will be better real soon. I have never had burns as bad as yours, but the first thing that comes to mind is aloe vera. I know some one else poo-pooed it, but I have always used it and it has never failed me. Again - I have never had as bad of a skin trauma...At any rate, prayers are coming your way, we are all thinking of you. Get well soon!!! Lori

If you can get your hands on some Emu oil, get it. There is nothing better for burns than plain emu oil. It will take the pain out, help heal it and help with scarring. Please, look up info on emu oil and see how wonderful it is. It only takes a very small amount!Pam
Hey there Horsefeather...you beated me to it!
biggrin.gif
yes.gif

I would wait until perhaps I spoke to the Dr., about it though, just in case it isn't something they want there, at this time. It is absolutely the most amazing stuff...and it helps tremendously with the scarring and tightening of the new skin.

It ain't pretty.
new_shocked.gif

Wish I could send you something that would help...I cannot imagine what you have to go through with this. Sending cool, refreshing thoughts...

Sue_C. said:
If you can get your hands on some Emu oil, get it. There is nothing better for burns than plain emu oil. It will take the pain out, help heal it and help with scarring. Please, look up info on emu oil and see how wonderful it is. It only takes a very small amount!Pam
Hey there Horsefeather...you beated me to it!
biggrin.gif
yes.gif

I would wait until perhaps I spoke to the Dr., about it though, just in case it isn't something they want there, at this time. It is absolutely the most amazing stuff...and it helps tremendously with the scarring and tightening of the new skin.

It ain't pretty.
new_shocked.gif

Wish I could send you something that would help...I cannot imagine what you have to go through with this. Sending cool, refreshing thoughts...

512085[/snapback]

Thanks.....I think
ohmy.gif

Latest posts

Back