Any donkey savvy people out there????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How clever of you to find that thread, Ryan. I'd completely forgotten about it, but had such fun reading through the entire thread, and watching the videos! That was a fun "watch" although a longer one than we all expected at the beginning!

Thanks for finding it!

New Video page 32! - Happy Appy Acres

Check the above thread out in the Marestare/Pregnancy section of the forum.

There may be some really useful information in it that you may be able to use ect.

default_smile.png
Thank you Ryan! I enjoyed reading through that thread so much! Sounded very familiar at times. Sad that she lost one from colic
default_sad.png
and I was so surprised at what that baby came out looking like!!! So beautiful wow! I'm sure I'm definitely having a little grey donk lol no fancy colors in the wild haha!

Ok so she's had a couple more of those episodes. They last anywhere from 15-30 minutes. Each time I'm stunned by the vulva change, so puffy and long :O when the "episode" is over it pretty much goes back to that middle stage it's been in again, she walks away with her ears up and goes to eat. Here's two pics from this morning while she was having yet another. Is it normal for her to have this many without actually going into labor? The second pic she's literally shoving her rear end into the barn wall. I've had mini horses foal and never saw anything like this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For some mares butt pressing is pretty common. Not sure how close to labor it starts.

She's looking very good, and I'm excited to see what she's been hiding in there! Bet it will be a "cutie" !!

Do those little white things mean anything? I feel like she's so close and so miserable for several weeks now, I'm stumped! My horses in the past were so different from this little donk

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The little white beads on the end of her teats are wax beads. Waxing up means she is getting close. So exciting!

The little white beads on the end of her teats are wax beads. Waxing up means she is getting close. So exciting!
OMG!!! Really Amysue you think!!! :00000000
default_smile.png
there is even more tonight look! Thank you! How long Usually after this happens?image.jpeg

Unfortunately, there is no exact science behind foaling signs. Some mares are textbook, foal drops, they wax then bag up, loosen up and foal. Maidens are a mixed bag of tricks, as your girl has already demonstrated. Usually, the mare baggs up as her udder fills with milk soon before foaling, some even drip a bit of milk. Others however do not bag up until after foaling. Waxing can mean anywhere from a day to a week (it varies). If she lets you touch her, you may be able to gently express a few drops of milk (if she is lactating yet). If so, then she's closer. There is something to ph and foaling, I know Diane or someone else on the forum could give you more details on this. I have not tested milk in ages, as most of my mares are pretty predictable (knock on wood they don't mix it up on me this year). I got some test strips as a game prize a while back and I am looking forward to trying them on my maidens. I have been told that you can use pool water ph strips too. Supposedly, the ph of the mare's milk changes before foaling. If she gives you some milk, you may be able to get an idea of how close she is.

Unfortunately, there is no exact science behind foaling signs. Some mares are textbook, foal drops, they wax then bag up, loosen up and foal. Maidens are a mixed bag of tricks, as your girl has already demonstrated. Usually, the mare baggs up as her udder fills with milk soon before foaling, some even drip a bit of milk. Others however do not bag up until after foaling. Waxing can mean anywhere from a day to a week (it varies). If she lets you touch her, you may be able to gently express a few drops of milk (if she is lactating yet). If so, then she's closer. There is something to ph and foaling, I know Diane or someone else on the forum could give you more details on this. I have not tested milk in ages, as most of my mares are pretty predictable (knock on wood they don't mix it up on me this year). I got some test strips as a game prize a while back and I am looking forward to trying them on my maidens. I have been told that you can use pool water ph strips too. Supposedly, the ph of the mare's milk changes before foaling. If she gives you some milk, you may be able to get an idea of how close she is.[/quote
She's a tough one! Always looks ready to burst but keeps ticking on. She let me touch her udders, I was surprised by how sweet and trusting she already is, I was overtly gentle, maybe that was a problem but I couldn't get a drop! What does that mean?! Thanks for all your info, I'm so grateful you have donkey experience!

By the way this is her second day showing little interest in her feed. Even refused her favorite horse butterscotch treats, then eventually took it and just held it in her lips for a good minute before chewing it very slowing haha it was funny
default_smile.png
she's been scarfing the last month so huge change, probably doesn't mean a darn thing with this girl lol

Changes in her usual behavior is a good sign that she is moving ahead perfectly
default_smile.png
Those butterscotch treats sound so good I dont think I could refuse them hahah

Dont worry too much that you cant express any milk from her. Your doing great and we are all excited to see what she is preparing for you in the "Slow cooker"
default_smile.png

Fingers crossed for the safest of arrivals
default_thumbup.gif

Ok I'm going to be hugely surprised if we are having another false alarm! She's been agitated, walking back and forth, pawing and her udder is a lot bigger then it was even a couple hours ago...but lol ya never know!

I just now found this topic. I don't have anything to add about foaling but wanted to say that is a beautiful donkey and bless you for taking her in. Hope the little one makes an appearance soon. I once had two mini donkey jacks, they were a hoot!

The foal will be all "legs & ears"....really! All mine were. She may stop labor with you there, she is basically from the wild, remember. The will have a built in "do it away from anyone & anything" sense to them. Mine didn't show as long a labor once started as some minis. Her belly looks as if foal has turned in the last ones, as you can see the bulk is not centered anymore but appears further back.

Haven't had a foal in years as I sold the donk herd late 90's but, they are a hoot. Since mom is ok with you, imprint the foal when it arrives. You will have a friend for life. Always remember, donks are not stubborn but they are very cautious. Slow & steady to train & they have a memory like an elephant!

As others have said, all looks good and probably a foal "soon". Good hay is really all they need as their systems are used to some pretty rough forage and they convert to nutrition well. Plus, they are supposed to be thinner than our minis in good shape.

Latest posts

Back