Any cleaner idea's???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
My mini's have open access to a part of the barn and a large stall for protection from the rain and such...and there's no door to close it so, whatever =) But anyhow, the ground in the barn is all a sandy dirt and it was doing fine up until about 2 weeks ago, now I think the horses ONLY pee inside! I swear! The entire inside is turning into a mud puddle and I don't know what to do, if I put mats down i'd want to do mats with holes so the pee can travel through, but then I wouldn't be able to fork out their poo piles! I don't want to do pine shavings because it's too much of a mess and I don't want to fill our landlords pit too fast...anyone have any ideas???

anyplace they can run inside they use as a big litterbox LOL. Drives me crazy too but you know they are going to do it no matter what. You can try putting shavnigs just in one small spot and then they will stick to that one spot. We also put lime on the wet spots once per week to dry them out

kay

I am here to testify that my horses hold it until they come inside. Then it's like someone busted down Niagra Falls.........I think they go inside and when everyone is in position they go : ONE, TWO, THREE, PEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I'd suck it up and get shavings and get it over with.

maybe you could put a gate on that opening, and when it looks like bad weather, open it.. when its nice out, close it! lol thats my idea!
yes.gif

good luck

Mats might help as horses tend to dislike the splattering effect (some don't seem to care).

The bare mats along (no drainage) could help. If not, it will be ever so much easier to put shavings on top of them and scoop them away from time to time. I am lucky, most of my horses are not that messy.

Best wishes!

Liz M.

Thanks you guys for your suggestions! I had never thought of sprinkling lime on the wet spots...does it work really good on the odor too?? I have considered mats and shavings but I don't have a truck to bring home mats yet...it's frustrating not having a truck or trailer yet!! I would put up a gate to block them off but then I don't have any cover for them and if it starts pouring i'd rather they had access to cover! Hmm...just curious about the lime at this point!

And to add, I know what you mean when you say the horses hold it until they get inside and then Niagra Falls!!! WOOOSSHHHHH

Latest posts

Back