any biker chicks? UPDATE PG 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
I am getting ready next month to take a motorcycle safety course and get my motorcycle license. I currently ride with my husband as a passenger but thought it would be fun to learn to ride on my own as well.

Any other biker chicks? LOL

default_laugh.png

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm a used-to-be biker chick. you are SO smart to take the safety course!!!!! if you decide to get your own bike, start small. i had a 250 honda rebel, by the time i put leather bags on it and leather handlebar fringies, it looked like a mini harley. i used to ride it to work every day and rode it often on weekends to run errands. there are times, with the price of gas now, i wish i still had it!

i sold my bike when gary and i got together and we moved to the boonies. too many gravel roads to contend with and when we moved to the farm, i really didn't have time to ride. it was between the bike and the horses and i made the obvious choice!

have fun and BE CAREFUL! always, ALWAYS watch for the other drivers in cars because they won't be watching for you! stay safe!
default_aktion033.gif

oh and, it goes without saying, HELMET HELMET HELMET!!!!! i never went so much as a block from home without my helmet and if i was leaving town to ride on the highway or interstate, i ALWAYS wore my leathers from head to toe.
default_biggrin.png

I have a Honda Rebel now. They do look like a mini Harley (which is kind of cool!) I normally drive my diesel truck but at almost $5/gallon.......Here you have to take the safety course to get your MC endorsement on your license. If you don't have it and a cop stops you, you get a ticket. I always wear my armor jacket, jeans and my helmet when I ride. My jacket is mesh with two removeable liners that make it waterproof and keeps you warmer when you need it.

I enjoy my bike. The only problem here is the traffic. People don't always look out for bikers and you have to stay on your toes. There are more and more bikes on the road though so that is helping some.

Charlene and Minimule...thanks for the response...

If I get my own bike it will be a Honda Rebel...I do like the looks of them
default_yes.gif
I could see me using it to run errands.

I want to get more work done on our house first...though after the course maybe I will change my tune....I hope I can get the shifting thing down
default_unsure.png

great advice-thanks...helmet always...I just had fun buying boots
default_smile.png

We just bought a Honda VTX1300 for my hubby (well I consider it part mine...
default_rolleyes.gif
) We love it-great stress relief....

Angie

you won't have any problem learning to shift. it will soon become second nature to you. trust me, once you ride yourself, you'll be looking for your own honda.
default_wink.png

when i took the safety course prior to getting my own bike, we rode 250's. as i recall, the hardest thing to learn was the swerve, something that's a must to know. i practiced that one a lot. the first time i used it, i was in a group. i was bringing up the rear, riding on the interstate. the biker in front of me didn't have his saddle bags secured well enough, one of them flew off and landed right in my path. it was scary but i did it and lived to tell about it!
default_biggrin.png

thanks again for the encouragement...My class is 8/15-17....I think it is 250's we are riding....I am taking the class w/ a friend who has alays wanted to learn to ride....we will be biker chicks riding back to school in Sept LOL...the kids will behave w/ such tough staff LOL

my dad bought a motor scooter 150cc so I had to get a liscense to drive it. I didn't do the hands on course as it's VERY expensive here but i did the course to get the permit and got my liscence last fall. I loved driving it and it got excellent gas mileage. Unfortunatly dad took it with him to New Mexico when they moved there. I think though i'd like to go up to the 250cc when i buy one because This one just didn' t quite get the speed to do interstate driving safely (did like 65 ish but give it a hill and it slowed down). I"ll have to check out the rebels. I don't want something huge and hard to keep up ect. Have fun getting your liscense! it's fun to have a friend go with you to do stuff like that. I had a friend go with me to the course and it was lots more fun it was very long boring day otherwise!

Since you are female, thus have a brain not attached to your bumm
default_rolleyes.gif
You are already ten steps ahead of any man. Like has been said, start on a lower cc bike and move up as you feel comfortable. Know though that a 250cc wont have the staying highway power of say a 750cc. I used to ride all the time, LOVED it, but then I got sick and I know have a huge problem with balance, so not riding. However, I hope that this will change this year. Hubby has a bike shop and goes riding all the time, so it kinda schtucks that I cant go with.

The one thing that I would highly suggest any new rider is to do a track day. Its where they open a racetrack and let you go ride. They have safety classes and you would be amazed at how much you can learn from these. We have even had guys that have riden for years, go do a trackday and come back amazed at what all they learned.

Get a good helmet, spend a good $400+, get a good leather jacket as well. I know that will be too hot to ride in now, so also get a nice summer weight riding jacket. It will have back, elbow protection as well. Most importantly, have fun and dont let those guys bully you into doing more than what you are comfortable with.

my first husband and i used to ride with a group of 5 other couples, almost every weekend. my little 250 rebel never had a problem at highway speeds. i used to blow dem guys right outta da water. oh wait, do you think since i was going 55 and they were all going 45, the LET me??
default_new_shocked.gif

pepipony, i had everything on your list and more. i never rode, (spring/summer/fall/sometimes even winter on a nice day) without my chaps. when i said i was covered from head to toe, i was being literal.
default_biggrin.png

wow, this is bringing back memories of sturgis! :DOH!

I dont worry about hubby and his riding. I worry about all the idiots out there, I mean if they will pull out in front of my big ol one ton, like I'm not there, then a bike is even worse. As with everything in life from the steps to your tub, everything can be dangerous, you just have to minimize it as much as you can. People will get kicked/thrown from a horse and jump back on, but freak if they crash or fall off a bike.

Most riders crash under peer pressure. Least what we have seen here has been that. Or from doing modifications using Ebay Parts ( gee, wonder why that brand new swing arm is 1/4 the cost?) , having the part fail and being up doodoocreek without a paddle.

Just be smart, go with your gut, do a track day or 2 and wear protective clothing. Maybe go for rides by yourself, if you are like me LOL I can back my trailer anywhere first try, unless hubby is watching. Dont know what happens, but stuff forgets how to work LOL!!!! Have fun!!!!

I got my endorsement in 1975. I took some time off while raising kids. I went back, and will always have a bike. It is my mental health therapist. Take it slow and be vigilant about watching EVERYTHING around you. Riding has made me a much better driver, as I always assume that other drivers will do something stupid. (The ultimate in defensive driving.) Always allow a way out; plenty of room to bail in front, rear and sides, since the biggest comment after an accident is "I didn't see them." Lots of parking lot practice time. Best of luck, and welcome to the club.
default_aktion033.gif

thanks again everyone....I know I can do this
default_yes.gif
I will remember all your advice and let you know how the class goes next month.

And BannerBrat (she's my daughter) in time kiddo I know you will have a motorcycle....do well in school so you can buy me one too LOL
default_new_shocked.gif

Angie

Well, I finished my class and PASSED!!!
default_risa8.gif

It was a tough couple of days...that is a lot to take in for someone who has never ridden a motorcycle...I have never shifted anything!
default_new_shocked.gif
And over the last 2 days I was winginging around a parking lot practicing swerves, turns and emergency stops!

It feels a little surreal and I am exhausted. I plan on being very careful and still going to the parking lot to practice. On Wed I bought a 2002 Honda rebel (Ole Reb
default_smile.png
) that I got a little time on when my hubby trailered it to the school parking lot just so I could see a little bit how the clutch worked. I am a better clutch girl now
default_rolleyes.gif

I thought of my cheerleading section here while I was at lunch today before my test so i wanted to give you an update
default_smile.png

Angie

angie, that is GREAT! congrats on your success and congrats on ole reb. be sure to post some pics when you have time. you are gonna LOVE LOVE LOVE that bike!!! you go girl!

Congrats to you!!!!

Hubby has a VTX 1800....and I had a Honda Ace 750........ I had so much fun riding, except it did hurt my wrists (due to my carpal tunnel & tendonitis)...and if we rode too long my tail bone would hurt........that was even with a custom Mustang seat.....so alas, although I enjoyed it while I did it .....I decided to sell my bike & I can ride on the back of Ken's......(but honestly, I did prefer to be in charge of my own bike)....

I am soooo happy for you, I took the M/C safety class before we got our bikes as well, and we both enjoyed the class a lot, although it was rainy & cold because we took the course in a January of all the months to pick.

I agree whole-heartily (I am sure you will anyway, after taking the class) to wear your leathers & helmet........and just know that you are invisible.......as all of us that ride or rode bikes know.......you are totally invisible on a bike....even with loud pipes!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_488.gif

YIPPEE!!! You'll love the Rebel. We should all post photos of us on our "hogs"! I am getting an average of 195 miles on 1 tank of gas. The tank is 2.6 gallons. Not bad! I've only had mine for 3 months and it has 1800 miles on it.
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm all ready thinking about a bigger bike.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back