Quantcast

Ants in horses stall...help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

tigeresss

Reaction score
Well I have a problem in one of my horses (the miniatures) stalls...we appear to have an ant infestation. A few usually show up in the stall every summer and that's fine however today there were about 300 (no exageration) in the stall...apart from being disgusting I don't think it's good as this is where the horses eat.

I am able to take all the shavings out and not allow the horses into the stall while any "treatment" is being done.

I am wondering what my options are? Any help would be appreciated!!!!

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
Strip it then dust the entire perimeter and floor with "diatomaceous earth" they hate it. THEN rebed as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shortpig

Reaction score
I get ants every year at this time. Because of the dogs and horses I'm careful what I use. I have begun using good old fashioned lice powder. It works, gets rid of the ants everytime. It's something that is already made to use with the horses. I just sprinkle all over and even outside where there is an ant hill. Might give that a try also.

Bozley

Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy, but do you happen to have any chickens? I had this happen last year. I put my chickens in the stall and they went crazy eating the ants up. The ants never came back.

tigeresss

Reaction score
No I dont have chickens but I like that idea! hahaha.

Thank you for the ideas...normally I would know how to handle this but with the dogs and horses it's hard to know what is or isn't safe!

Why does the lice powder work??

Reble

Reaction score
here are some home remedies

Home remedy to kill ants

Ants are a real problem if you have a kid in the house. There are over 8,800 different species of ants in the world and they are a part of environment where it helps in maintaining ecological balance. But, if it comes in your house then it is real threat especially for kids. Lets have a look at some of the home remedy to kill ants or to say home remedy ant killer.

# Perfume could be applied to the entry points of the ants.

# Spray bone meal bordering your garden.

# Wash under the pet food dish with kerosene oil and put it in a larger bowl containing water.

# Equal part of borax and confectioner sugar could be used to kill ants.

# Soapy water spray also helps to get rid of ants.

# Spray vinegar on the entry path of ants like window frame, door etc.

# Keeping a cinnamon stick in the path of ants also helps in preventing their entry

# Spray adhesive materials in and around base of plants and trees to stop ants, which can carry and colonize aphids.

# Pour boiling water over the nest

# Spread a line of cream of tartar or chili powder on the entry point of ants to the house and they will not cross it.

suz

Reaction score
I had a small ant problem once and here's what I did.

First, stripped the stall completely. Swept it clean. Then, where the ants were, I sprayed quite a bit of some cheap fly spray (Bronco), let it dry, then rebedded the stall.

That seemed to work for me and I know the spray won't hurt my horse!

Good luck!

Latest posts