Antiques Roadshow, Ever been on?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MInx

Reaction score
Never thought about doing it, our daughter got us to apply with her..Got notified today that our two tickets are on the way and they sent instructions and said we can bring two item per ticket so that's four items..show is August 9th in Grand Rapids at the Devos Place. So watch for it, I'll be the chubby one
default_wink.png

I already have my items picked out to take and we'll see.

One of our daighters lives near there so we can stay the weekend with them as we live 265 miles from there.

Our 48th anniversary and my 67th birthday are both on August 19th, close so maybe it's an omen of good things to come eh? LOL

Anyone else make it on there? Not going to be easy since I can barely walk these days, but my wheelchair will be good to lean on and haul stuff in.

A little nervous and hope I can talk OK, my stroke makes it hard under stress.

Maxine

My daughter just called me this evening and they were selected for the roadshow in July In Wichita
default_aktion033.gif
She is taking one of my items

My daughter and I went on it-oh, 6-8 years ago...I just happened to have 'one eye' on PBS one day( love much of PBS, but don't watch it much anymore because the reception is often so poor; we live where we are in a 'straight line' from the transmitting towers of all the Albuquerquer stations that are on top of Sandia Crest, and get all the 'local' stations via rabbit ears,quite well--EXCEPT PBS...
default_unsure.png
...)--but did happen to hear an early promo for the tickets, so wrote for some --- and VOILA! here they came in a couple of weeks; I could hardly believe it! It was in the downtown Albuquerque Convention Center, so quite the chore to 'get to'- parking hassle and all--but it WAS very interesting to see and participate in. No big 'revelations' on what I took (and if you don't have something that catches their interest, you sort of get 'brushed off' pretty quickly, I'll tell you that now) -but still, it was worth experiencing!

(Example: don't bother to take the old Family Bible; we heard them tell people how they see THOUSANDS of those, so they aren't a 'valuable antique' to anyone but their owners...)

It WILL be a unique experience, and one worth having...ENJOY!

Margo

That is neat!!

About half a year ago, I was supposed to take a bus to Windsor, but the bus never showed up. My mom came and picked me back up from the bus stop, but this poor young guy was stuck there, and the next bus was coming the following morning. We offered him a ride back to our town (as it turns out his girlfriend is from my area as well)...on the way back we found out he is the son of the creator/producer of the Antiques Roadshow!! How cool! Just thought I would share that little story.

Good luck with your items!!

How neat..our daughter applied for us and her and they didn't get tickets. at least not so far..and they really wanted to go.

Anyway i have a thin real silk little Japanese Kimono blue, embroidered with real gold dragons, thick gold dragons..its always been stored. Was sent to me from Japan when I was 8 rs old so 1949..it has a few stains, a couple loose threads so needs cleaning and restoring by a professional and that's what I hope to find out is where I can get theat done as it is so delicate.

Two Willy Siler Japanese framed, numbered signed block prints of Japanese rice farmer wives and old Japanese ladies talking, awesome. My favorites.Only thing I asked for when mama died.

Also I have an ivory cribbage board I bought in Japan in 1953 at age 12 when dad was stationed there, it is engraved in color with the 7 Gods of Japan, and with that a set of solid ivory chopsticks engraved with pink roses and the words "Happy Birthday dear Maxine from Yoko August 19,1954

It was a birthday gify from Yoko who was a Japanese singer with Johnny Watsons big Band at the Yokota Air Force Base Officers Club. Johnny Watson was a music arranger in the states, he aranged the song "Ghost Riders in the Sky" which was recorded by Vaughn Manroe a well know singer of the era. SORRY you ALL knew I was old
default_biggrin.png

Also have some of my mama's jewlery some with small diamonds, an emerald, silver etc...some rhinstone stuff large.and a large stoneware saurkraut crock with drips down the side, I forget what they call it, like some salt type crocks I've seen on there.

There's more but nothing major. Not looking to get rich but will be giving this and more to my kids son to "get my ducks in a row" so won't hurt to get them appraised for insurance purposes.We can only take 4 items for the two ticket, can combine some i.e. jewlrey collection as set, prints as set, etc and they only count as one, but have to figure out what to take in to keep it simple.

Will push my wheelchair so we can carry it. August a long way off so we'll see. Maxine

Oh Maxine, how exciting for you. I dont watch much tv, but I always make sure I watch Road Show. They have some really interesting items on there. I have seen a few things I have so I was able to get some "idea" on them. I am sure you will have a wonderful "mini trip".

Last edited by a moderator:
oh i am sooo envious..i LOVE antique road shows and i LOVE antique items. I tried to get tickets a couple times but have yet to be sucessful (i would have to travel a long ways to go to one but it would be fun and worth it). I have a couple items i would love to have looked at. When my great grandmother died we inherited a old Accordian from her Estate that was her Brothers I guess during world war I ....or so that's what everyone seems to think..no one really remembers a whole lot about it. I've tried to research it but have yet to find anything about it. it is really quite amazing. I"m not much of a instrument fan but it's REALLY neat. I'd love to have it looked at someday by someone that isn't out to make a buck that can tell me what it's really worth (if anything). I just love antiques and i love antique road shows..LOL

Latest posts

Back