Ant Nest in the Stall!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
Is there any way to safely get rid of an ant nest in a horse stall? We've had horses in that barn for 11 years now, and never had a problem until now.

Thanks

I have some really good stuff at home, but for the life of me I can't think of the name right now. I'll give it a loo tonight and let you know tomorrow. Linda

How big is the nest? I find smaller ones in my horses yard, and I've found that fly spray (I use Flysect) also kills ants. I pour some of the Flysect down the hole, and that seems to really take care of the problem!

I'm not sure how big it is. My mother found it. I did spray the stall floor with flyspray, and it did kill those ants, but I wasn't sure if pouring some down the hole would get the queen or not.

slowly and carefully pour boiling water on the hole.

I'm fighting them in a stall now too, only I haven't found a mound there just an ant "superhighway" where they come in and out all day. I've put the granulated fire ant killer in the area I found them, and moved my gelding out to another stall for a day or so.

Jan

Seven dust is safe to use on animals and will kill ants dead. Use that around the ant hole and your problems will be solved.

Dust is definitely the way to go as the ants will carry it in on their bodies and get the queen.

I've been using Hosscrazy's idea. Been pouring the spray on insect repellent/killer that we use on the horses down the ant holes in the pasture. It is working. Maybe have to do it several times depending on how long the hive has been there. Just a tablespoon or so everytime I see activity. Pretty soon they seem to be gone. I use Bronco or Zonkit....cheap LOL

Be careful if using Seven dust........our vet said it's an organophosphate and no longer considered safe for animals. (I didn't know that)

With our sand box soil the ants just
wub.gif
us!
sad.gif

Charlotte

I got this recipe from working in the school district since they weren't allowed to use any chemicals on the ants.......

Get a pitcher, put a really big squirt of dish soap in, fill with water, and pour on the ant bed.

We have regular ants and fire ants and I use this on all of them. Works for us and doesn't harm the chickens, dogs or horses. It's also always around, so when you see ants you just run to the kitchen.
aktion033.gif

Since moving to Texas, I have been very up close and personal with fire ants! I had 16 bites on my right leg. I went to the pharmacy, asked what to use on the bites and (I was taking Benadryl), and was told just plain old household ammonia. It works! At the local feed store, they told me sevin would work on the ant hills. I have always been told that it was safe, and I even powder my dogs and their bedding with it. Anyway, I have 5% Sevin dust, I have put it on fire ant hills, and next day, no ants! It gets on their bodies and they carry it to the queen. Sevin will also kill Japanese Beetles. I will have to ask our vet about sevin no longer being considered safe for animals, but till I hear it straight from the "horses mouth", I will use it on those blasted ant hills! I am so allergic to so many insects, and anything that saves me a problem and is safe is worth using to me. Thanks for the heads up on the sevin. I will call the vet about it right away.

Oh, I tried the vinegar recipe, just scurried them around, but did not kill them. I know boric acid works, but I am afraid it is poison to the animals.

I use a product called Tempo. I get it at my local COOP. As soon as it is dry it is perfectly safe, you mix up any quantity you want. I use it inside, outside, where ever and it really works. L

Latest posts

Back