Answer to the question, has a miniature mare ever had twins.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimomNC

Reaction score
I am posting this from an email from Agnes Venable of Honeysuckle Knoll in NC. She gave her permission for me to post it.

Listen to my story all you "mini" people:

This past Sunday morning one of my mares delivered twin fillies-both full size and fully developed. Unfortunately one of them died in the birthing process. This is all verified by our vets who came the next day to check everything out. The miracle is that our mare has no damage and is doing fine and the filly that survived was up and nursing within an hour. Now the mare was still in a state of shock like what in the world just happened to me!!!

Did we have any idea that there were twins there. NO!

We ultrasounded the mare in foal but we follow our vet's advice. Get in, look for pregnancy or follicles and get out-don't go looking around!! Of course, we would not have been looking for twins anyway. The mare carried 323 days(Ihave firm breeding dates), was not any larger than some of my mares who have not foaled, never had any problems at all. She just spit out two babies. My vets are absolutely amazed at many things-that she carried that long-that she had no problems before, managed to deliver both of them without any damage-that both were full size and had no development problems and most of all that one of them is living and bouncing around.

The miracle of this entire episode is that I am still breathing. I was in the barn by myself. Jerry was not feeling well so I was there on foal watch. I think I went into shock and turned around in circles until I could get my wits about myself!!!!!

Just wanted to share our story with some fellow 'Mini" friends!!

Agnes

For heaven's sake! :new_shocked:

There's one for the books! Funny how the mare wasn't bigger than normal size and had twins. It's a huge shame both didn't live but I'm so glad the one filly made it! How tall is the mare Karen? Any photos?

No photos yet, but the mare is 31" the stallion is just under 30". Not a first foal for the mare, more like her fourth. I know the stallion and the mare and the heights are correct.

Oh how wonderful one survived. :aktion033:

I saw twin pintos way back in the late '60's. One was a colt and I was told it would be sterile. They sure don't happen very often even in the big horses, do they?

Amazing! I hope she got photos for documentation too!

I've only heard of one set of full term twins born and it was in Canada, as I recall. The story was posted here on LB several months ago. I hope someone else remembers the post.

MA

I got that same email from Agnes. Sounds like quite the excitment.....can you imagine.....one comes and you think that's it and here comes #2. I wish they had both survived.....would have been one for the record books.

That is great to have documented info. Is she going to share this w/the breed publications like the World and Journal so others can benefit from knowing it's possible, also?

Liz M.

Lowell Boone told me he had seen a mare that had twins way back years ago. Both twins lived! It was the only one he knew of that both twins survived

kay

That is indeed, NEWS! :new_shocked: There have only been one set of LIVE twins foaled to a Mini that I know of...in Canada. But that mare was much bigger...around 38", If I remember right. I also have a friend whose mini mare delivered twins...but they were "conjoined"....Siamese Twins! :new_shocked: And they died at birth.
default_sad.png

Its hard to believe a mare who is only 31" could carry twins to term...let alone deliver them LIVE! PLEASE, PLEASE post some photos when you get them. I certainly hope your friend had the presence of mind to take pictures of the two right after they were born.
default_yes.gif
: This will be one for the record books, and one that I'm sure some veterinary schools will want to study!
default_yes.gif
:

Karen, Please tell Agnes to stay in and ultrasound this mare longer from now on! Once a mare twins she is more likely to repeat! Also she should check all for twins around 30-35 days. It one thing that US are used for in mare. If she finds twins again the vet can get rid of one at the 30-35 day range.

Latest posts

Back