Another Tree question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
Another question please.

I know that Red Maples leaves can be very toxic in the fall after dropping from the tree. My question is, are the Crimson King Maples in that family? I know a lot of people call them "Red Maples" simply because the leaves are a dark reddish brown all year. But I don't "think" they are the type of "red maple" whose leaves get toxic. "Red Maples" actually have green leaves, but have red stems & flowers. So, is it safe to assume the Crimson King Maple would be safe around horses?

Dona,

Crimson King's latin name is Acer platanoides, and it is a variety of Norway Maple.

Acer Rubrum is the notoriously toxic Red Maple.

They are from different families, but many shy away from all maples with red foliage, including Japanese Maples. However, vine maples, which do turn red in fall, are not toxic, or all the horses in the Northwest would have long ago been poisoned!

I did a Google search on Acer platanoides toxicity to horses. As is typical, some said that it is no problem, others said to distrust any maple with red foliage.

I have a small Japanese Maple whose leaves are green with a bit of orangey red, but which turns bright orange in fall. I have it away from the corrals yet still pluck off all of the leaves as soon as they begin to fall. I can't imagine doing that with a mature Norway maple, though...

If I were considering a Crimson Glory, I'd check with the county extension agent and do more in-depth research first.

Latest posts

Back