Another stupid question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debjs

Reaction score
Can someone tell me exactly what people are expecting for full board. Does this mean they expect you to pay for the hay and feed? Or the board price is just that, stall for rent, and they pay for all other expences,hay,feed, vets etc.

Board is highly individual, that is why a good contract is important.

"Full" board would probably include a stall, feeding, and cleaning services and probably would provide hay.

There are some barns around here where "full" board includes grooming, worming, blanketing, turnout service, and grain/supplements. Of course, rent for that is up to $1000 per month.

I have "full board" and they provide hay and clean stalls twice daily. It is up to me for everything else.

Andrea

Most full board in my area is hay, feed, stall, turnout, cleaning.

Partial board is use of the stall and owner does everything else including shavings in stall.

Amanda

Partial board is use of the stall and owner does everything else including shavings in stall.

Amanda
Thats kind of what I thought. I had a women that wants to pay 150.00 tops for full board...I don't think so!

$150 per month for a mini is NOT a high price for board... for a full sized horse it's pushing it. Full size horse board around here is $200-300 per month generally for an average stall.

Andrea

The average full board for full sized horses includes:

Stall space, access to facility

feeding, grain, hay

suppliments fed but not provided

turnout

blanketing

Extras can include a lot more, but that's pretty much average.

Just one other thing to keep in mind: If the mini is taking up a stall that the barn owner could rent to a full-sized horse, it is not reasonable for the price to be cut by too much, as she could be making full price on it with just an increase in feed. When I boarded, my barn owner thought it was reasonable (and I agreed) that my TWO minis share a full sized stall for the full-sized horse board price. She and I also shared the cost of building a paddock near the barn that was a dry lot just for my two minis. I have them home with me now since I moved to acreage, but I do miss the time I spent at the barn with my horsey friends.

Jayne

Full size horse boarding here probably runs $250 and up now depending on the facility. As someone said, you wouldn't expect a boarding stable to take too much of a cut to board a mini, since they could rent the same stall for more. I board a couple of minis, but that's all I have stalled now and I'm NOT primarily a boarding stable, just boarding for friends who have bought horses from me. I started them at $125, and am having to go up some because of hay & feed prices. At that, I'm not really making money - it works for me though, both boarders are great about helping out when I need someone to feed, and cleaning/sweeping the barn when they are here, plus it's just nice having someone else around to talk horses lol.

Jan

Don't make it to cheap.Just remember you are the one out there in the snow, freezinf temperatures, rain, extreme heat ,etc or when the vet has to be called and you can't reach the owner to come.Boarding an animal for someone else is a big responsibility and shouldn't come too cheap.Just figure how much your services are worth and figure how much time you take to care for the animal.Are you working for less than minimum wage if you are cleaning a stall, feeding, etc and providing everything the horse needs?

$150 for full board in our area is very reasonable. It includes a stall with bedding, cleaning it, turn out time, plus the hay and grain. Anything other than that is extra.

If you are willing and able to negotiate self-care, all you would be paying for is the space provided and the charge would be obviously less.

If I were in a situation where I had to board I would prefer SELF-CARE because I would know exactly what my horse was being fed and how the stall was being maintained..........but that's just me. However, not everyone has the time to provide the daily self care if they are working full-time at another job.

MA

Here for full board... I wouldn't even look at it. Now that being said, I do have a child who keeps her mini, In my barn, and works it off. But to do all the work.. well, full board down here goes for about $550 for a pretty cheap place, to upwards of $1700 per month. Easily. So no, I wouldn't take it personally.

As a barn owner I must comment and agree with an above post - mini's don't take any less time or space on my farm than my large boarders. I have 2 as boarders - I charge them less ONLY because I want them to stay here (I love them) and they are also great companions for one of my own. I have actually built a special barn area just for them and should charge more just for that (spoiled little minis) but in the winter they take up just as much space and take exactly the same amount of time as any other horse boarded. They eat less food but that's about it - and food isn't where barn owners make or lose money anyway. Bedding is my biggest expense, and time....well, I'm not even making minumum wage when I include my time.

Also, I NEVER allow "self care" boarders. EVER (tried it twicwe and it was a disaster both times). They rarely do as they they should and sometimes "forget" to clean their stalls and have even forgot to feed their horse. It's my barn and I want the barn cleaned and the horses fed together to avoid problems and anxiety. I also insist that I do the worming because thats another area that should be done on schedule and all at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amanda
Thats kind of what I thought. I had a women that wants to pay 150.00 tops for full board...I don't think so!
If we are talking full size horse then board here would be $400 a month at least for a quality place but you have to bare in mind that we are right above the Wellington area in Florida where lots of big time people come down every winter-show jumping, polo, etc. If it were a mini, it would be cheaper as far as feed but paying for the stall portion of the board would still be the same as a big horse could just as easily take up that stall. I pay partial board and the barn I just left would be $200 for just the stall that i could put two minis in. I payed for feed, hay, did the cleaning, etc. She fed in the mornings and turned out.

Well I would be thrilled to get $150/mo for full board. That would not include vetting or farrier. I wish I could actually do this but I am too too far out there. One mini horse is 1/4 the work of a biggie imho. Mine come in at nite, go out in the morning, get minimal feed and grass hay. Yup, I'd do it. But that's just crazy old me.

I don't know much about boarding, but I would sure look into the insurance side of things. Unfortunately, insurance is a necessary evil. :no:

Latest posts

Back