Another stallion question.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got a 3 yr old stallion about a month ago. He is more "animated" than my other stallions were at his age. He seems like an immature kid at times. This is his first new home and herd although he won't be breeding till next spring he does share a fence line with his mares.

Ok, now, the minute I walk into his paddock he is right there with his muzzle on my stomach. Seems to have a "thing" with touching me. I try to keep him "out of my space" but he comes right back to touching, chewing my clothes or pulling on my jacket strings. Yes he nips but I get after him for that and he's doing better. If I turn around with my back to him and walk away, his muzzle is touching my back. If I keep walking he will come up to my side pushing against me and will even put his head on my shoulder, (I'm short and he's tall). Sometimes he will give off a quiet high pitched squeal. I'm begining to think he thinks I'm part of his harem?

Is that possible?

Oh I should also should mention that he wasn't used to having his body scratched or touched much, so I have been making sure I touch him a lot to get him used to that, is he taking my touching the wrong way?
rolleyes.gif

How do I teach him respect and to not invade my space and to stay out of it?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

A sharp NO, followed with a loud clap of the hands or if he is behind you nuzzling, a quick kick to the shoulders. He will learn that he can only be in your space when you want him to be otherwise he has to respect you. You don't have to hurt him, but you may have to be forceful at times to show him that you don't appreciate him treating you that way and invading your space all the time. You can use the kick to the shoulders even if he is facing you. You don't have to kick to hurt or use the point of your shoe just a kick across the shoulders with the side of your foot should work fine. I hope that helps and yes, it is possible that he considers you "his" rather than the other way around
rolleyes.gif

I don't know about the other members, but I like for my stallions to be friendly. All the mares are like that, so why not the stallion. I have never had a non friendly stallion. They are easier to handle, better than one you can not trust. He just wants to be loved on!!!!!!!!!!! JMO

minijoy, I also like my stallions to be friendly, but you have to remember that a stallion has differnet hormones than the mares and sometimes they act irrationaly. No matter how old, or well behaved a stallion is they still are a stallion and should be treated as such. I don't think any stallion can be trusted as a mare or gelding can. Of course that is JMO, but when dealing with stallions I always say better safe than sorry.

My stallion is just like my hubby, he's studly but lovey. I think he's just realized that he enjoys being touched and wants more. He will learn his manners in due time and once breeding starts you will probably not turn his head even if you fix your hair and put on make-up!

Since he is that mature and is doing these things, I would tend to believe he is associating you as a type of a mare. These are gentle approaches now but I tend to think he is testing to see how much he can get away with.. When I am in my monthy cycle I had to watch one of my stallions as some can get extra intrested if not on guard. It is best to make him know that there is a distance that you will tolerate.. because he is a stallion, unless you invite him to be closer. Maybe you can come up with a warning voice that will make him back off. There are few mature stallions out there that can be touched alot, in an affectionate way and still be non-nippy.. I have one, but I feel fortunate to have him...

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I have been lucky with my stallions on their behavior!!!!! I have more trouble with the younger ones wanting to be Big Mister Stallion (they think)LOL

I guess it really depends on the stallion, I guess they have different moods like the mares. I have 1 mare that is worse than any stallion & you have to watch her close, but there is nothing to change her.

I think that the sound of your voice helps alot when correcting them.

Yes, he is testing you! You need to establish what is "good touching and bad touching" with him as soon as possible.

All of our stallions are approachable and some are even affectionate - which I like. BUT they understand MY space. Once in awhile they may forget themselves and need to be reprimanded, but it doesn't happen often. It's usually because they lose focus on ME and are interested in a mare nearby. All it takes from me anymore is a clap of my hands with a loud "Quit!" to make him realize where he is and what he's doing.

MA

All great advice!

I wanted to add, I don't think he's doing it in a loving way like wanting me to scratch him. Since he's not used to that he still is nervous and prefers me not too touch past his head. He always try's to face me and hates it when I make him keep his head straight while I stroke his back and sides. And when his muzzle is against me he is usually nibbling my clothes. Thats the biggest reason I want him to understand he doesn't need to be touching me all the time like that! Sometimes the nibbles turn into a bite.

Thats what I don't get either, is that a stallion trait too? All the nibbling?

And when he is walking beside me pushing, he is also turning, cutting me off sort of. Thats another reason why I'm thinking, he thinks, I'm part of the mares.
wacko.gif

You've got to be firm and let him know you are big time all the time absolutely the BOSS person (not even mare!).

Awhile back (maybe a year or more) a forum member here got her lip and part of her face bit off by her stallion. Just because they are little, doesn't mean they can't cause serious harm and if you do not establish now what is and is not okay, he could seriously hurt you and it won't really be out of being a mean animal.

Yes,... make sure he doesent learn he can cut you off at the pass, and get away with it at any point. . That will develop into him thinking he can herd you around... You need to not give in to that, but insted push him in the oppisite direction that he is trying to push you...Use the backing up tecknique where you are holding his nose down and pushing him back. Saying BACK..BACK.. If necessary putting thumbnail pressure on the top on his nose to make him more willing to back up.. Dont allways wait til he challenges you , Start to impliment some training on your own, where he is doing what you ask., when you ask it. If he leans into you, when you are walking him on a lead rope he needs to learn to not do that, by pushing him at a comfortable distance when he is trying to. Praise for any progress he makes,. with a happy voice, and a scratch. Allways end training, however small, and short the sessions are, on a good note with him being praised for something done well.

one of the stalions that my friends braught me to work with was like that. hes not being friendly, hes being dominant.

I could do all the pushing and yelling I wanted and he just came right back like a rubber-band
wacko.gif
. he treated me like a horse so I decited to act like one and it worked. when he started to do anithing I dident like, I squeled loud and kicked him, and then yelled at him. when he cut me off, I would scare the %$# out of him by jumping at him and yeling. after a few days all I had to do is yell. than just a loud HEY! was enough. those type of studs will eventualy behave, but will always test you. one of the things that I couldnt stop him from doing was pushing me when I was leading him, because I was forcing him to be in my space. solved that by carrying a big nail, (not a very sharp one) held it in my right hand next to my leg with the point faceing him. so every time he went to push, he pocked him self, after about a week he dident feel like being pocked.
rolleyes.gif
now he was 27" and I am 5'8", so if he is big and you are small, be carful!

good luck
aktion033.gif

And when his muzzle is against me he is usually nibbling my clothes. Thats the biggest reason I want him to understand he doesn't need to be touching me all the time like that! Sometimes the nibbles turn into a bite. Thats what I don't get either, is that a stallion trait too? All the nibbling?

And when he is walking beside me pushing, he is also turning, cutting me off sort of. Thats another reason why I'm thinking, he thinks, I'm part of the mares.
OOOOHHHH yeah. In that case, he is definitely doing a bit of passive-aggressive stuff there. He doesn't trust you touching him yet so he always faces you, wanting to both keep an eye on you and keep you away from his vulnerable sides. And the constantly cutting you off thing sounds suspiciously like what my young gelding (doesn't know he is, apparently) did just before he started trying to rear and paddle at me. I say "paddle" because it wasn't dominance striking, he was just suddenly trying to play with me like another colt, but it was a total shock to me as I've always had sedate older geldings. We put a stop to THAT quick, let me tell you!
laugh.gif

Nibbling is definitely a stallion thing. It's also a baby thing. And a baby stallion is the mouthiest thing around! LOL.

Teach him manners and enforce boundaries with him. I let all my horses be lovey, even the nibbler, but with him I'm strict about when he is invited to be in my space. If he gets pushy I use body language to "exclude him from the herd" until he shows some respect. When he stands quietly and watches me for cues about what to do next I invite him back in. He's stubborn but he learned pretty quickly that it was just easier and more pleasant to rein himself in. Self-control is the best thing to teach these horses. Try clicker training (you can do a search for past posts about this. My "Mad Mini" thread got some great responses.) He still nibbles a lot unfortunately, but the truly aggressive stuff has stopped and I give him a "safe" object like a towel that he can gum to death to his heart's content as long as he doesn't touch me.
rolleyes.gif
It's like a pacifier for a baby. And believe me, some of these little guys just have too much time on their busy little hooves.
biggrin.gif

Sorry I rambled,

Leia

Latest posts

Back