Another Snake bite

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gini

Reaction score
My friend called morning and told me one of her 2 year old colts had been bitten by a rattle snake. With the rains we've had and the warm temps they are out and about. She went out to feed this morning and he was stomping around in his pen, face really swollen. She found the snake in his pen and quickly killed it. Vet came out and they've been working on him for the last 3 hours. She has protected the airway thru the nose with narrow tubes and they're now waiting. Hopefully the swelling will go down soon. The vet also told her that her DH yesterday had been mowing their lawn that had grown quite tall.

He ran over a snake and when it came out from under the fangs went into the ankle. He is also being treated for snake bite.

Cloud was bitten on the nose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.........Glad we don't live in AZ.........Everyone tells about rattlers in our area but fortunately (knock on wood) we've not seen them. We have gopher snakes, though, which may be keeping them at bay.

Hope the colt and your vet's ex are doing okay?

That's scary stuff!!!!!!!

Stroke Arizona off the list of better places than Southwestern Ontario where it's winter for 6 months....l.o.l.

Gah!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
And I was just telling a buddy of mine how much I wanted to go to AZ. I don't know where in AZ she goes, but she leaves here early fall and winters there every year. I was going to visit her next winter; I will now mull that over awhile longer.
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png
default_wink.png

Sure hope they both recover with no ill effects.

Several years ago my 3 year old anglo-arab was bit on the nose by a rattle snake. Her nose was massive, but her breathing was thankfully not affected and she recovered with no ill affects. The vet treating her had us giving her 50cc of penicillin in the hindquarters ( can't remember if it was once or twice a day) and looking back on it now, it amazes me that she didn't have major problems from that. I hope that this little one has the same outcome as my mare, I'm sure it is much harder on one so small. Best of luck, please let us know how he does.

Gah!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
And I was just telling a buddy of mine how much I wanted to go to AZ. I don't know where in AZ she goes, but she leaves here early fall and winters there every year. I was going to visit her next winter; I will now mull that over awhile longer.
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png
default_wink.png

Sure hope they both recover with no ill effects.
Sue in about another month the snakes will hibernate until late spring. The weather right now is very unusual for this time of the year. We are still in the

90's. Just the kind of weather snakes like. I would sill come and enjoy our winter weather 50' and 60's. Nancy is at the vet with him right now so I will post on how he is when she calls. This is one of Ginny StP's beautiful little ones. Nancy bought he and his mom Maggie 2 years ago.

Last night our dog found a copperhead coming out of our mini pasture. He tried to attack it and instead got bitten twice himself. My husband managed to kill the snake so we are sure it was a copperhead. We rushed the dog to the animal hospital and he is doing okay today. Still in the hospital with IVs and steroids but he should pull through. Thankfully the horses were spared. Charlie is their hero.

It is the time for snakes to be on the move-so be careful!!!

When my two-year old colt was bitten, besides banamine and antibiotic, he was given an intravenous injection of solu-delta-cortef 500mg. The vet told me this was to keep the blood vessels from collapsing.

Mine was bitten on the eyelid. It was a gruesome sight, but he recovered just fine. He was a dog chaser and bird killer, so perhaps he "attacked" the snake. He would not tolerate anything on the ground in his territory. (He got into porcupine and skunk, also.)

I went out to check on Dapper Dan when I had not had him very long. There was a coiled rattler about 10" from his nose. DD was looking at it, but neither was moving. I quietly came up and pushed DD away. I was so afraid when DD started moving away, but the snake never struck.

Hope your friend's colt recovers quickly.

I had the filly that was bitten about a month ago. Very scary, but she recovered just fine.

My vet gave her banamine, a steroid shot, and antibiotics. I also had to give her an antibiotic shot for 5 days. Her face swelled up where she couldn't even eat, but was back to nearly normal in 4 days.

This is her the day after the bite:

stormy27.jpg

And this is after a couple weeks:

4mos14.jpg

I sure hope your friends mini is going to be ok. I lived in the CA desert for 8 LONG years and never saw a rattler. Saw a red racer and a couple of other no poisonous snakes but I was ALWAYS very careful and kept the brush away from my horses corrals and made sure where I stepped in their stalls. Now I live in MO and I have to WORRY about copperheads. My stalls are up in the barn so I'm happy for that, but I'm still very careful and when I walk in the pasture which my husband keeps cut I STILL am very careful. I'm terrified of the things..... TERRIFIED!!!!!! TJ

I had a mare snakebit a few years ago and she was ok, but the neighbors lost one and a couple of dogs due to other issues resulting from rattlesnake bite.

A friend down below Tucson had her weanling filly snake bit about a month ago, and she survived ok as well.

There are different types of rattlers, and some with much more venom than others depending on the situation. It is ALWAYS scary and certainly urgent when it happens.

I'll take AZ anytime and avoid the ticks that carry Lyme, the copperheads, the mosquitoes, the chiggers, etc..... And many other states have rattlers too! I saw more rattlesnakes in Eastern Oregon in the lava beds than I had seen here in a lifetime!

We had our quarter mare out in the run about a month ago and she came in with a snake bite on her nose. Usually that is not much of a problem for the big horses but where she was bit started to swell to the point the vet was concerned about her breathing. They tubed her for a couple of days until the swelling started to subside and now you can't even tell that she had been bit a month ago at all. We have also had several dogs bitten by rattlers and the old standard for them is bread and milk. Have not lost a dog to a rattler yet...knock on wood. So far I have not had any of the mini's bitten BUT I don't let them out to pasture. Plus the areas we do let them in is mowed regularly and that seems to deter the rattlers. Now I stepped on a garder snake and about had a heart attack but that was not the snakes fault!!

Latest posts

Back