Another skin problem topic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I have a horse here with what appears to be an allergy to insect bites. She breaks out in itchy bumps and rubs until they are bloody sores. I don't think it's a food allergy as she has been on the same diet and there is no problem during the winter and spring. Only when the summer heats up and the flies, mosquitoes and other biting insects are in full force. Aside from fly sprays, has anybody tried anything else that's helpful?

I used to have a QH that was very sensitive to bugs and my vet sugested to feed cider vinegar. It did seem to help with the flies and mosquitos but not so much with the bigger bugs. Im also not sure if this would be safe for minis?

We have an Arab with Alergies to certain grass, bedding and bugs. The allergies do not cause any troubles other then skin issues. She wears a fly sheet and mask. We use bugzo in her feed and takes antihistamines and we use a medicated bath for her. We also ALWAYS keep benadryl and epi on hand for her.

I've never heard of Buggzo so I looked it up. Sounds interesting if it works. Since it contains both apple cider vinegar and garlic maybe it does? I'm going to order a fly sheet for this mare and see if it helps. I did start her on an antihistimine a few days ago. Something needs to help!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, the bugzo is apple cider vinegar and garlic, but it is balanced in someway that will not cause blood thinning. Garlic thins their blood, not a the cider.
smile.gif
So, if the cider is working, stick with it. Does she have sensitivity to fly sprays too? If so email or PM me and will give you my spray reciepe.

I also just read Brewers Yeast works for fly control? Never heard that. So does dimatatous earth, (sp)? Can be fed thru to inhibihit flies from laying eggs in manure and used as a lice/fles/fly delousing. It does something to their exoskeletons. Thought it to be interesteing, but have yet to try it. Just a few ideas.

If anyone has tried any of these for these reasons, let us know.

And Becky, you are doing all you can, it will help!
yes.gif

Hi Becky

Aside from a soothing rinse and maybe a fly sheet, you might also want to look at your mare's protien intake. I have had horses get hives during the summer from too much protien - don't know why it only happens when it is warm out, but that is when it seems to crop up. Certainly easy enough to deal with - just cut her back to 8% for awhile and see if that helps.

Stac

Is it primarily around the mane and tail? Also shoulders and neck? If so, and if it always happens towards late summer then it could be sweet itch, an allergy to the culoides (sp?) gnat. My vet told me there is a shot that can be given that greatly helps. I had a big horse with this allergy and he would rub his mane and tail out from the scratching.

Good luck!!

I'm thinking this is a sweet itch type of problem. I feel certain it's an allergic reaction to insect bites and probably the culicoides or no see-ums. I know they have been bad here and really biting me! Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I'm having this problem for the first time. Timer didn't start this until the last few weeks, and it is all over her front end. I've tried keeping her covered in fly spray, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I plan to get her a fly sheet too, but I wil look up Bugzo. I'm willing to try anything!

I hAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH ONLY ONE MARE AND I HAVE SHAVED OFF MOST OF HER MANE AND TOP END OF HER TAIL ...IT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD BUT IT HELPS HER IN THE MONTHS THAT SHE IS AT HER WORST..

I HAVE TRYED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING BUT THE ONLY THING THAT HELPS HER WITH THE INCHING IS SHAVING!!!!!

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW IF ANY ONE HAS IDEAS BECAUSE SHE HAS A LOVELY MAINE AND TAIL BUT I NEVER GET TO SEE IT AT ITS BEST....
no.gif

I have a big girl that the bugs just loooove to eat, and she has other allergies too. She had quite nasty hives for about two months, I put her on paper shavings and they went away. Now she still gets bug bites, but I try to keep her perpetually sprayed and I'm getting her a fly sheet. I feed my other big one the cider vinegar for other reasons, and I really only spray her when I'm sending her off to the pasture because the vinegar does nothing for mosguitos.

Latest posts

Back