Another Poll - How many horses do you own and how long have you been in mini's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many small equine do you own?

• 1 -5

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • 6 - 10

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • 30 - 50

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • 50 or more

Votes: 12 9.3%

• Total voters

JWC sr.

Reaction score
This should be fun also. LOL
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
'In' minis since 1984; had an interest beginning before 1980, but was 'turned away' then by news that the AMHA had closed their books(they did,you know, WAY too early on, after only forming in '78.)

Kept 'checking',finally found a breeder within driving distance(@300 mi.)in '84; the rest is history.

Now have 6(One AMHA only, 4 AMHA/AMHR, one B sized, and unregistered)-down from a high of 17(minis; until late '08, I always had one or more 'bigs' also; have ridden since I was 2), but advancing age(mine!)and declining ability to do all the hard work is the big factor in trying to cut back to 3 or 4...but, I really LIKE and appreciate EVERY one I have now, so am not making much headway in further numbers reduction!

Margo

Had over 25 at one point - down to 4 minis and 3 ponies... have had minis about 15 years now

Thirteen years and we are "down" to about 32 minis LOL.

Jan

We will vote. Will be interested in total results.

Purchased our first minis in October of 07. We are currently in our 3rd year.

Currently at 56 horses not including the new 13 foals and 3 more to come.

I got my first minis in 1988 and a few years ago was up to about 33 not counting babies.

But I am down to 20 now and would kind of like to get my base herd down a tiny bit more.

It is our hard and LONG winters that make it not near as enjoyable as it is in the summer that make me keep reducing my numbers.

I love the work in warm dry weather
default_smile.png

Susan O.

Got our first mini stallion in 1979 liked him so much added 7 more fillies and a mature mare and had someone start showing a few of them for us in 1982...did well with that so moved way out to a larger place in 1992 and started breeding them. Currently we keep between 30 and 40 head as thats about all l can handle on my own since the girls left home and my other half isn't interested in them much if it involves work...
default_biggrin.png
we usually don't have more then 4/5 foals a year except this year we had 9 to test out a new stallion we bought and bred to 5 different mares to see what he'd throw...and he threw really nice foals
default_biggrin.png
though the other 4 from different stallions are also nice.

First mini in 1982 and currently have 32 with the new foals.

I heard minis before I saw them.

At a big pinto show in our area, I was bringing our big boy back to his

room after his morning halter class.

I heard the sound of little hooves. We stopped at the aisle way intersection

to see what was coming.....and I melted. A small herd, of red and white pintos just like my big guy, being led by a single person being taken to their stall, for the afternoon mini classes. I'd never bothered to watch those

classes before.

The rest became history as the search was on. It was 2002 before we found our

29" stallion.

We've 7 now and will breed 2 mares for next season.

Our ages will bring an end to 'doing' horses, eventually, but for this moment in time I just wish I'd found them 30 some odd years ago.

They are family to each other and to us and so far we've avoided selling any

so as not to break up the family unit.

Life is good with minis in it.

I have 7 minis (6 here, 1 at the trainer's). My mom and I got into minis when I was 14, spent some years enjoying and showing them. For most of the time since then I've had at least one mini, except for a couple years with none. Spent that whole mini-less time researching, studying, drooling over and dreaming minis
default_wub.png
Now we are finally in a position to get back into my passion, showing, and having a blast! So, I guess about 16 years being obsessed with minis and many more to come
default_yes.gif

Interesting to read everyone's backgrounds - keep em coming!

We brought our first yearling home last year (2009) in April...just before Easter. The Easter Bunny was very good to me last year!

We brought our 4th girl home in October. She is the full sister of the first girl we brought home, just the '09 version!

The other two came in between the others.

Our time and space are limiting us to this 4 right now. *IF* the most amazing animal for a really great price that fit our budge came along, we could add one more. Any more than that and I wouldn't be able to give them the attention and care they need/deserve.

We got our first Mini in 1998. I own three outright, Jane owns nine outright, and we co-own 18 others together. So we have thirty, but we have sold several in the last month or so.

Lucy

My family started breeding minis in 1978. We currently have about 35

We own 17 miniatures right now, but I have owned as much as 27 and I (Darwin) started in the industry in May 1988.

Bought my 1st Mini in 1993 (I think? I forget if it was 93 or 94 all the time but I think it 93 cuz I started showing in 94...lol
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Currently own 3 Minis, but have in the past owned as many as 14 (don't tell my wife...lol...but it may get that high again eventually...
default_laugh.png
)

Bought my 1st Mini in 1993 (I think? I forget if it was 93 or 94 all the time but I think it 93 cuz I started showing in 94...lol
rolleyes.gif
)

Currently own 3 Minis, but have in the past owned as many as 14 (don't tell my wife...lol...but it may get that high again eventually...
laugh.gif
)
Sorry honey but that's not a secret. I knew I was in for it once we got to Florida and had property for you to put these horses on.
laugh.gif
BUT NO MORE until then or we won't be going to Florida
laugh.gif

I got Jimmy, Jasmine and Ariel in 1995. Still own those three and two foals from Jimmy and Jasmine which is Duckie and Koda. They are my bestest friends and I love spending time with them.

Over the years I have rehomed others but never had the extreme bond with them I do with these. I have sold a few foals over the years also as I didn't want a larger herd and went thru tough times.

Have 6 of today. Might be getting 3 geldings that need a new home
biggrin.gif
All 3 drive 2 are a team. Had a mini when I was a child(10), lOOng time ago. So we have had minis off and on for about 20 yrs. LOL I am old
wacko.gif

We are happy with our crew, next year will be doing CDE's Good Lord willing. They are the best , have kept me sane since auto accident and could no longer ride the biggies. Still miss riding, but driving is a blast

Back