ANOTHER New Puppy, Big & Fluffy Too (Pyrenees x Golden)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Dozer's getting a "little" brother.

Since the day Dozer came home with us last summer, he was SMITTEN with our collie, Kelsey. As if H and I weren't also. She played with him when he was smaller and then was more of constant company than playmate for him after he grew up to be so rough, tumble, and 50% bigger than her.

Last Monday morning, we lost our beautiful Kelsey. She was only 8yo. She had been slowing down the past few years, but I didn't think she'd be gone so soon. No matter how long she was with us, I'd have always wanted more, but I never thought it would only be 8yrs when we got her (our first collie). She had what turned out to be a stroke Sunday night. Apparently, that's not common in dogs. We had her to the vets early Monday morning, but nothing could be done. I don't really feel like talking about it a lot, and I am sure most of you understand. It was probably the worst night I've lived through.

Her not being here leaves Dozer "lonely". Our other "bigger" dog, Maggie, thinks she's a hot house flower. She is now 9yo... REALLY, Kelsey was "her" dog when we got Kelsey. But Maggie is only about 45# and while she is much, much more spry than Kelsey was, she does not want to be outside, and Dozer wants to be outside. We have a very big fenced yard, and a HUGE kennel (it has a doggie door in a big shed with a "dog or goat" stall) and it can also open into a small horse pen with a stall. That is where I like Dozer to be on days I will be gone long. He hasn't got any mean intention for our little dogs, but he is just a rough kind of boy and massively bigger than our shih-Tzu's, of course. His favorite playmate is Wylie who weighs in and 10# and adores him, but just not the most ideal playmates if no one is keeping an eye out. He has though stopped pulling her around by her beard and her tail (why she is nuts for him is beyond me!).

We decided soon after Kelsey that it would be better for Dozer if he did have a new BFF, and I won't try to discount the way H and I love dogs and wanted something to look forward to as well.

I found someone about 110 miles from us that has a litter of Golden Retriever x Great Pyrenees, and that's so so close to what Dozer is (1/4 Lab x 3/4 Great Pryrenees) -- if we could clone him, we would. I like the mixes better than the purebred Pyr's as long as they are good natured breeds... LOVE a grey horse but I like colored dogs... We did pick the biggest boy of the litter, pictures below at like 1wk, 1 day. He is mostly black with white on his chest, feet, tail tip and chin. His owner feels he will have a double medium - long coat, which I love... I've heard Pyr's shed a lot, but so far, Dozer hasn't. Figuring he may well do so this season, but I like brushing out that length of coat (doesn't seem to mat and is so pretty to me!).

We can bring him home on the Friday before Memorial Day, which will be great. It will give us both time to settle him in, get to know him, etc. He'll be going to our vets that Saturday morning. He's going to have the shots and deworming that he should, but we want to get him under our vets wing.

His name will be one I had kind of favored for Dozer... DIESEL. You know, I have to coordinate the names (all our W shih-Tzu's!). Lots of our horses also have corridinated ncoordinated

As with Dozer, I will update this thread as this boy grows up. This baby will be one of our kids... The babies of our hearts.

Diesel%201wk%20(1).jpg

Diesel%201wk%20(2).jpg

Diesel%201wk%20(3).jpg

Diesel%201wk%20(5).jpg

PS trying to edit as my words are jumbling and not sure why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Terry. I know a lot of us hear understand how bad it hurts to lose a special dog. Nearly makes me feel like I could stop breathing thinking about that night. But, it is really good to have a new baby to look forward to, and one I know will find the right place in our unusual family! If Dozer could talk, I kind of think he'd say he's so happy to have a new friend, but surely hopes he won't expect food (he is SO much about food, and super stingy.)

Oh Jill you know I was so heartbroken when I heard the news of Kelsey. A year ago on March 1st we lost out little Boxer girl, Tweety. It was hard to think that a year had flown by since that very difficult day.

Your little Diesel is precious!! I know you heart is just waiting to welcome him into your family. I wish and hope the best for him and settling into your pack. I can't wait to see growing up pictures, those are always fun!

So sorry about your loss of Kelsey Jill.
default_no.gif

I am glad you are opening up your home to another dog though, you and H are great parents! Can't wait to see pics of Diesel as he grows up. Congrats!

So sorry Jill. My heart aches for you! I went through the same thing a few years ago with one of my girls who had a stroke.

So sorry to hear about Kelsey.....seems several of the LB 'pups' have passed recently.....

Can't wait to see the updates of the new 'kid'!
default_smile.png

~kathryn

Jill-

My condolences for the loss of Kelsey. They hold a special place in our hearts and are never forgotten.

Congrats with Diesel!! What a big boy he is already!!! LOL He will have the best home and parents ever!!! Enjoy!! I cant wait to see the updates

Take care

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

I'm so sorry you lost your much loved Kelsey. Like many others here I know first hand the terrible heart ache you must be struggling with. I wish for you that the pain passes quickly and is replaced with smiles at all the warm memories you made with her over the years.

Congratulations on your newest baby! He is going to be a big big boy I think and will hold his own in play with Dozer much better than the little ones can.

Jill, I'm so sorry about Kelsey.

I'm very excited that your getting Diesel! What a wonderful playmate for Dozer! I can't wait for updates!!! Congratulations!!!

So sorry about Kelsey.

Diesel is just adorable, can't wait to see those pics as he grows.

Wish my hubby was morekeen on more dogs, we have two dogs; he says that's plenty, I want another.

Thanks, all
default_wub.png

Over the years, bad things and good things... it has been really good to share them with our community here. It means a lot, and you all mean a lot, to me.

Thanks for your comments.

What an absolutely adorable little guy! So happy Dozer will have a buddy his size.

More hugs your way,

Amanda

So very sorry about your sweet Kelsey. I have looked at the pics you have posted of her over the years, and she was such a beautiful girl. I know that Diesel will not take her place, but add to the wonderful family you already have. Surely Kelsey must be looking down and smiling with approval. Enjoy your new baby and I am definately looking forward to pics of him as he grows:)

Jill, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much you love your family members and losing them just leaves an empty hole behind. You have such a big heart and I'm glad you were able to share your love with a new friend...it never replaces what you lost, but I couldn't imagine life without dogs or horses.

Liz N.

Sorry about your loss. but new puppy breath.. cannot wait to see how he turns out..
Love seeing updated pictures.. Good luck with your new puppy

Thanks everyone
default_cheekkiss.gif
I really look forward to sharing Diesel with you all as he becomes a part of our family and grows up.

Latest posts

Back