Another LWO Testing Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I know there is no way of knowing 100% unless tested, but do you feel it is fairly safe to say this filly is LWO negative? I am thinking so, because it is my understanding that they need to exhibit SOME sort of coloring or blue eyes. This filly is solid grulla, head to toe, and no blue eyes, no blue flecked eyes etc. Am I reasonably safe to assume she is LWO negative? Her sire is a red dun, very small star, no other white, and her dam is a LWO+ frame/sabino pinto.

Filly: (Fortune)

fortunesales.jpg
fortunesales2.jpg

Sire:

dittomain.jpg

Dam:

famemares2.jpg

OK, thank you Freeland. I guess I might as well go ahead and do it to find out for sure. I would certainly be
default_new_shocked.gif
if she came back +, but happy too.
default_yes.gif

Well, I for sure would. Even if she comes back negative, whats a couple dollars if you can save a foal? From my understanding its not common if they don't have some sort of color, but still to me I would for sure be testing her. Never hurts to test, can hurt not to? Just my opinion.

I had a sorrel stud (now a gelding) that does not have blue eyes. He really didn't show any sign of being LWO, but his sire was LWO, so i tested him and sure enough he is.

I have a black filly with dark eyes that you wouldn't guess by looking that she is LWO. I tested her because of her sire, and sure enough, she is too.

I agree, I would test your filly.

I would test her. My stallion is a solid grulla. He has 1 tiny little white snip on the tip of his nose is all he has. He has dark eyes. I would have never even thought about testing him but his breeder called me and told me his dam had a LW foal when bred to another overo. His dam was a minimal. So far, out of all his foals 75% have tested LWO+ even from solid mares. It isn't an expensive test and then there is no guess work or worries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again to all for your replies. Cindy, I am curious...the foals you mentioned...were they solid too from head to toe, or did they have white on them??

Thanks again to all for your replies. Cindy, I am curious...the foals you mentioned...were they solid too from head to toe, or did they have white on them??
Actually, the gelding does have a blaze. But there is no hint of blue eyes. If i hadn't know his background, i may not have tested him.

The black filly, also has no hint of blue eyes, but she does have a small star and snip.

This is the filly.

lincolnpark.jpg

Mona,

It is always best to test just to be sure and by the way she is one really pretty filly!
default_smile.png
default_wub.png
default_smile.png

The Rowdy lines are very good at hiding the LWO phenotype signs.

If there is any Rowdy in their lines I always test.

I have several LWO stallions and do not want to chance LWO foals.

BTW the Dam is a beauty !

Hi Mona,

I would certainly test her. We have had many foals test positive for LW that do not have blue eyes they have dark ones and some minimal markings. I also have had blue eyes, speckled blue eyes etc., that test neg for LW. So these days you really cannot tell by looking and not always with what a seller tells you either, as one mare I purchased was supposed to be a splash overo and turns out she was LW. She had limited markings, one blue eye and crazy blaze but produced a LW baby. Sad to learn that way believe me!

It is my understanding that blue eyes indicate the splash overo gene.

Very pretty filly BTW, looks like her momma.

B

Here is my stallion's ony white anywhere on him. All but two of his foals have been pinto to some degree. This year is the first time he has ever produced blue eyes and 2 of his colts have them. The rest have been dark eyed.

tom.jpg

Thanks again! Mane hairs are pulled, form filled out and in the envelope, sitting on the cupboard waiting to be mailed out for testing my next trip to town!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back