Another idea of what to do with your minis!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
Today we had residents from an assisted living home out to our farmette. This is the 2nd annual visit--and we plan to continue it for as long as possible. I was lucky to have my in-laws willing to come lend a hand. They helped with so much. This kind of event runs so much smoother when there are willing, capable hands.
default_smile.png

I'll keep the commentary short since I think the photos speak for themselves. Thank you to Polly for being my photographer!
default_aktion033.gif

A bus load of 13 residents arrive-the bus was packed--there were more names on a waiting list. They find a seat under the shade of the pine trees--the horses are in front of them in the pasture. I introduce myself--and answer any questions.

IMG_6246.jpg

Their view of the pasture.

IMG_6298.jpg

I invite Kennedy, of course
default_wink.png
and another student from last year's class to help. She came with a bonus--her mom and little sister. Her mom, Polly, took the photos. The kids help with baths, last minute grooming after mud rolls, and help me with the horse switching by working the gates. I don't allow kids to handle horses by residents... just needs to be me--better safe than sorry...

IMG_6265.jpg

IMG_6250.jpg

Order was Gypsy, Chloe, Jazz, Rosie, Whisper....

IMG_6253.jpg

IMG_6254.jpg

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6259.jpg

IMG_6271.jpg

They asked the best questions!

IMG_6280.jpg

IMG_6273.jpg

This is Kandy--the director--showing them how Whisper loves to have her snip kissed.

IMG_6283.jpg

This was a first horse kiss for some.
default_wink.png

IMG_6285.jpg

Kennedy--my right hand girl. I'm so lucky to call her a friend.
default_wub.png

IMG_6286.jpg

More to come....

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite shot! Such joy!
default_laugh.png

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6291.jpg

Couldn't have done it without the crew.
default_smile.png
They even helped serve the lemonade and pretzels.

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg

Heading home--they were so happy.
default_smile.png
default_wub.png

IMG_6300.jpg

IMG_6305.jpg

Thanks for looking.
default_saludando.gif

Thank you so much fo sharing. That was really sweet. I would love to do that. Can you let me know what the events consisted of? and if any forms needed to be signed??

THanks again!!!

I salute you Barnbum
default_saludando.gif
:salute
default_saludando.gif
That was an amazing idea and so wonderful for the elderly to be able to get out and see your minis!!!! I wish my place was set up as well as yours...I would love to be able to do something like that oneday!!!
default_yes.gif
:yes

Zoey--we looked into all that the first time around... and I wrote the story up--it's on my website here: http://www.littlechurchminis.com/QuailSummitvisits.html

One magazine editor asked if she could publish the story--but a year later she decided it didn't tell enough about what it did for the residents--and wanted me to rewrite--but I chose not to. I was hoping it'd be published so others would see an idea they could try.
default_smile.png

For events--it's mostly just chatting with them--telling them how/why I got into minis--then bringing each horse out. I gave them a demonstration of what Rosie has learned with clicker training in the pasture--they loved that. Last year the kids took the horses through an obstacle course we set up.

Man oh man! These pictures really make me want to get out there!!! This is so what I want to do in the future! I love the "oldies but goodies" and to bring them joy from their first horsie kiss is just so special
default_wub.png
You are really doing something great here!

Aww! Maybe it's just the day but I got teary - thank you for doing that and showing us the pics!
default_wub.png

What a great idea!!! Thank you so much for bringing joy to so many that way, and for sharing the pictures on here!!! I am going to have to look into this!

Awesome job Karla....

I looks like the weather was great and so obvious everyone had a great time!!

I am sure they will be talking fondly about their trip to see you for days
default_smile.png

Very nice job!

Angie

That was a wonderful thing to do. It looks like you made some mini lovers that day. Very nice job.

I'm on slow dial up, so I'll be here all night waiting for the pics to load, but I wanted to say what a great thing you do for the residents!!! I used to work in an assisted living facility...

My Lord, Rosie is absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks, Deb--she takes our breath away.
default_smile.png

I looks like the weather was great and so obvious everyone had a great time!!
Angie--we kept watching radar and saw a big ole rain blob coming our way. I called Kandy--the one in charge--and she said they were still planning on coming.. so we kept getting ready. It was a miracle that the blob split and went on both sides of us--there were a few drops just as everyone was finishing lemonade--but that was it. I was stunned it didn't rain--and so so happy they didn't call it off. They're an optimistic bunch.
default_wink.png

Several who were here last year talked about things that happened on that trip--like when Claire didn't want to cross the driveway and they'd get the giggles about a guy who had kissed one of the horse's, erm, hips.
default_laugh.png
They had a picture of that and it was a hot topic for a while.
default_wink.png

They had questions about registries, heights, gestation length, herd management, costs, what my husband thinks of them....and so many more. The woman who loves horse so dearly wasn't able to come this time--she was in the hospital for a minor issue--I missed having her.
default_sad.png

BLESS YOU!

Our elderly are truly TREASURES.

For you to do this for them makes you a VERY SPECIAL PERSON!

default_biggrin.png
Karla, Thanks for sharing your wonderful pics of a great day out for the seniors. You are a dear for doing this, I bet they will be talking about the day spent with the minis until next year rolls around and they will be back again
default_biggrin.png

Yvonne

Latest posts

Back