Another "Foaling Signs" Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I have been raising minis now since 1994, and last year was the VERY FIRST time I ever saw a mare lose her "mucous plug". I had no idea what it was and posted here for information. The general consensus was that it is usually a week or so after they lose it, that they foal. My mare foaled 5 days later.

That same mare had it in her tail again this year. I noticed it on Saturday, so I figure within a week I SHOULD see her foal. Anyway, this morning now, I saw she had even MORE of it in her tail. Now this is 2 days later...does this plug come out in small parts like that? Last year, there was quite a bit in her tail when I found it, this past Saturday, hardly any, but more today. So has anyone ever noticed it coming slowly over several days??

The first time this happened to me i thought my mare had been stung by a bee or something. She was quite swollen in the back end, and had this gunk in her tail. I had no idea what it was. The muscous came for 2 days, then on the night of the third day she had the baby.

She has had three foals since and done this exact thing every time
default_yes.gif

Its a wonderful "heads-up" to know they are close! I wish they all did it!

Renee

Mona Flirt did the same exact thing last year. I would watch closely now! She had some and then a few days later had more. That night she foaled.

Thinking good thoughts for you and your mare for a healthy foal!

Yes Mona.......It doesn't always come out at once. But obviously it means you need to be in high alert.

Could someone take photos for me? I've never seen it on any of my mares, but would love to add photos to my foaling signs webpages!

Thanks in advance!
default_biggrin.png

Thanks everyone! Still no foal here, so I am guessing she will make me wait it out! Kim, I never took any pictures of it this year, but I did last year because I was not sure as to what on earth it was! So here they are, and yes, you are welcome to use them as long as you give me credit for them by linking to my website at www.lastchanceminiatures.com . Thank you. She foaled 5 days after these photos were taken, and it was her first foal.

discharge1.jpg

discharge2.jpg

discharge3.jpg

discharge4.jpg

discharge5.jpg

Thanks Mona!

I hope to get the webpages updated this weekend and I will give you credit for sure!

I appreciate all who are willing to share photos and experiences for the webpages I have made.

I had my first experience with a mucous plug this year -- and the mare foaled a few hours later!

Kim --

Your site is such a good resource. I looked at it so many times over the past month and appreciated having access to the information
love0075.gif

Jill

You're welcome Jill! Congrats on your new little fuzzy bundles of joy, I love the names you picked!
default_biggrin.png

I'm hoping to expand these pages to include more tips and info, sometime in the near future, but it's so hard to find the time with a new foal to play with!

Latest posts

Back