Another colour Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
My pretty little solid buckskin colt has been shedding out his foal coat and underneath it is ...well seems to be...black (?) I finally clipped him today and clipped he looks almost raon. He has a black base with light hairs mingled in. He is NOT grey nor roan since both sire and dam are solid buckskin. Nitro does have a blue eye and I expect carries a sabino gene but would it show this much this young?

Here he is at 5 days old.

And here he is now

What do you think? Shall I still describe him as a buckskin on his papers? He is even darker than he looks in that picture, but he does still have the paler areas and his head is growing creamy coloured guard hairs (as was his body before I clipped it)

I'm gong to guess at Smutty Buckskin!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Beautiful boy :love :love :love
default_drool5.gif
:drool
default_drool5.gif

He is a buckskin -When you clip a bay or bay based horse, his undercoat will be that shade He is very handsome~
default_wub.png
HIs coat will grow back buckskin

Last edited by a moderator:
How odd, all the saddle horses I ever owned that were buckskin at birth also shed their foal coat and became....BUCKSKIN lol. Of course I never clipped them either but this roany look came as a bit of a surprise. This guy is nearly black but has those creamy hairs blended in. I do of course realize that buckskin is a black based colour but I always thought the sooty-ness was something that would only show on a mature coat. Hmmm.... well at least i can relax and send his papers in without adding a picture to prove he WAS a buckskin

And thank you for the compliments. I am so thrilled with how this guy turned out and even tho he is taller than I was hoping for I did try to repeat the breeding before gelding his sire. Too bad the mare flat out refused to come back in heat until it was too late. LOL I guess she wants a year to recover from this handful before she tries again.

Thanks Sharon,

I am in a simular position. I had my first buckskin this year and he is shedding out his foal coat and is darker.

Nice to know he will change to buckskin again.

The clipped coat rarely shows any relation to the actual colour the horse will be.

Splash, not Sabino, causes blue eyes, so it is likely he has Splash, but unlikely it will express unless he is put to a mare with pinto markings.

My Buckskin mare also shed out Buckskin, if you had allowed this foal to she he would have done the same thing, clipping does not cause the same result, colour wise, as shedding.

Actually Jane he was already shedding out black before I clipped him, in fact the only gold left was on his back and the top of his butt.I only clipped him because I needed pictures and he had what I refer to as the fuzz butts. That is he had long baby fuzz sticking up all along his back and on top of his butt while everything from mid rib down and his neck and head were shed out. He did look a bit strange with long gold coloured hair from the end of his mane back to his tail and the rest of him so dark. Of course right now he looks like he has little white socks all round but in truth that is just the pale baby hair that hasn't shed out yet and he will have no white at all as an adult. It is interesting that you say Splash rather than sabino would give him the blue eye. Both parents are solid buckskin but the sire is out of a toby mare by a pali stallion and the mare is out of a buckskin mare by a bay stallion. She (the dam) does have a white spot the size of a tennis ball on one hip but it is more a collection of white hairs that mingle with the gold than an actual spot, thus I believed sabino but I have been wrong before and no doubt will be wrong again ;)

CheyAut what a gorgeous girl you have. She is much the same colour as the sire of this colt.

Matt73 thanks, we have hundreds of those rails sitting in bundles waiting for us to replace all the wire here and build some new pastures with them. Every year we do a bit more but I'm expecting to be 90 before we are finally done lol.

Songcatcher your colt looks so much like Nitro. They could be brothers lol

Joanne it is a bit of a shock isn't it to see a lovely golden buckskin turn so dark. Its not that the dark colour isn't nice its just so different from what one expects.

Thanks again everyone, it si good to have other opinions and I loved seeing the other horses to compare him with. I am looking forward to seeing what colour he settles on as an adult and just how much sooty-ness he will have then.

Your handsome boy is still a buckskin.........perhaps a smutty buckskin. Next year will tell you. Our buckskin kids change shades as they mature, and sometimes with the season!

Latest posts

Back