Another color request

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
So here is my beautiful boy home from Little King. He is a Buck Echo son out of a pinto mare, all white except for a red head! So what color is he?? Two partial blue eyes also! Was advertised as black and white but I think something else is going on here!

Here is Little King Echo's Aspiration

EchoandAvatar007.jpg

EchoandAvatar020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks silver(?) to me and tobiano/splash. The partial blue eyes and the offset snip are typical of splash.

Hard to tell colors on computer at times I wondered if he might be a black with a cream gene as sometimes they can be a rusty clack color, but not always of course. And I would guess tobiano/splash too.

I've got it - he's a Dexter!!

Love the nose splash! Congrats Marcie - he's pretty!

Hey, it was cold today...I'd be fluffying my fur too if I had any!!
default_yes.gif

Smoky black base, Tobi + Splash pattern.

Just a possibility of his being a Brownskin, I think.

Hummm....going to have to see if I cann find some pictures of a brownskin....am wondering what to call him for his papers though, I doubt the registry would except brownskin and if I was to describe his color it would be Cafe Latte with extra cream!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

I am guessing he has a cream gene from his sire , Buck Echo. I am also guessing he inherited a black gene from him too.

If you had him tested and I would have to guess,

he would be a smokey black.(but only a single copy of black if his dam is sorrel)

tobiano with splash, of course the only way to confirm splash is to test for frame and exclude frame, then the facial white and partial blue eye is from splash. If he tests positive for frame, it does not prove he is not splash it just proves that he carries frame but MAY also carry splash.

I can almost gaurantee that brownish color is a washed out sun bleached smokey black.

The lop sided snip and blue eye are almost positively Splash, but I would not rule out the possibility of Frame (LWO) also.

Definitely something going on in addition to Black. To me, he looks Sooty Buckskin with a good likelyhood of Silver. If you want "proof", the cheapest way would be to test for Agouti. If he carries Agouti, I would say definitely Sooty Buckskin with the possibility of Silver. If you want to know all possibilities, test for Agouti, Cream, and Silver in addition to the patterns.

There is no doubt in my mind that you have the cream gene working. We used to own a wonderful pinto broodmare who was the same color as your fellow. Her FULL brother, who we also owned, was a classic buckskin, and also pinto. (Some folks in the Northwest show circuit may remember our gelding "Gwidion" in years gone by.)

Having her brother be a buckskin, AND she produced our first "PINK" foal (palomino) by our silver bay stallion, Raider, says CREAM!

The term "Brownskin" is new to me, but it's nice to know there is a term for our brown coats who obviously have the cream behind them.

The white on a tobiano's face often means Sabino. We've had many tobianos that show sabino this way. But the blue eye could mean Splash as Songcatcher posted.....

Your fellow should be interesting to color test, if you plan to use him as a stud.

Latest posts

Back