Another addition to our farm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Well, since we lost our fallow deer, we decided to get back into swans.

It was hard seeing the pond empty.

So would like to show you our new additions

Years ago had these lovely guys but not fenced in and they used to love to go down the creek

but now we are more prepared and have the pond with gaming fence.

Pictures of our last two Mute Swans and our new additions in the barn for a few days and than

out to the pond.

Picture of how they will look after they change color.

Alfie and Angel

Swans A.jpg

Picture of Alfie our last cob

Swans B.jpg

and now here are our new Mute Swans (Royal) Not sure of their sex, tried to check but no luck

they are just going on 1 year.

They will change to white also with orange peaks.

Yes, here in Ontario need a permit to have them.

Swans 2012 003.jpg

First Day out on the pond.

We pulled up two chairs and just took pictures today..

Such a nice relaxing day, enjoyed watching them.

Hope you do not get tired of pictures ...

Swans first day on pond 2012 F.jpg

Swans first day on pond 2012 H.jpg

Swans first day on pond 2012 E.jpg

Swans first day on pond 2012 D.jpg

Swans first day on pond 2012 M.jpg

Swans first day on pond 2012 I.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are beautiful!!!!
default_yes.gif

Liz N.

Oh, I love them! I thought about adding swans but they were way out of my price range. I think they are gorgeous and the pictures are fantastic.

I have mutes too, but mine I believe are 2 boys...
default_sad.png

Heres pics of Mine, Jack and Josie (maybe a Joey)

Jack is 6 or 7 this summer

and Josie is 4 this summer.

They say it takes 3 yrs for them before they can lay eggs, so no eggs yet and thats why Im thinking Josie is a Joey.

100_2557.jpg

100_2565.jpg

100_3588.jpg

100_3882.jpg

I have mutes too, but mine I believe are 2 boys...
default_sad.png

Heres pics of Mine, Jack and Josie (maybe a Joey)

Jack is 6 or 7 this summer

and Josie is 4 this summer.

They say it takes 3 yrs for them before they can lay eggs, so no eggs yet and thats why Im thinking Josie is a Joey.

Nice, love them... I really do not care this time around if they are the same sex..

Used to breed for about 6 years,,, been there done that, so just like something on the pond

so they can keep it clean and not sit empty.. thanks for sharing..

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not really careing no more now. I did at 1st only cause I thought they would fight if both males, but they get along great so its no big deal.

My sister owned the bigger/older male Jack for 3 yrs, Then I got him when she moved and figured after his 1st breeding mate died, he would not accept another. So I bought a yrling and at 1st he hated it and now they are inseperatble.

We here need permits too, But I dont have one and the DNR is fully aware I have them as they have been here and asked. They arnt to pushy here as they know they cant fly. But closer in the city by Detroit/Metro area, I know the shoot and kill lots of them and fine everyone who owns them without permits $1000 per bird.

If ya notice, the female Josie/Joey, has part of her bill missing and also has a damaged wing from being attacted by a snapper turtle. It has never slowed her down!
default_smile.png

They sure are fun and I get a lot of comments on how beautiful they are. I always see folks stop and watch them from the road as the pond is only 40ft from the rd. And best part is, they are really friendly and eat from my hand, but only me. They love me till winter time then hate me as they are locked up in a horse stall all winter till the pond unthaws...

LOL
default_smile.png

Yes, we also put them in the barn for winter..

The other two we used to have where also friendly and being these are only coming on 1 year

hope to be able to feed them by hand.

We sat out there again yesterday with our grand daughter watching them and she loves to still

through stones in the water and pick up pine cones, keeps her busy... the swans just stayed at

one end watching every move she made..

Olivia our grand daughter named them.. Pokey and Joker.

She would go to one end of the pond and they would move to the other kept her busy for sure..

and all she kept saying is "OH man" there they go again.. to cute and funny...

Oh my! I am just in LOVE with swans! Don't have any, but I think they are so gorgeous! I am so jealous that you are able to have them!

I have never seen a swan in the wild, but always hoped to! We have a large pond on our farm. It's too large to fence in, so we couldn't have swans. I've seen a few ducks and a few Canadian geese there from time to time, but I'd feel as if I'd died and gone to heaven if I ever saw a swan there!

I loved your pics! Will be watching for future updates! Will there be little cygnates (is that what the babies are called??) in the future?

Well, at this time in our life, been there and done that for over 6 years.

Not sure yet what sex, but if they are male and female, I am sure we will some cygnets

Will keep you updated.
default_thumbup.gif
Remember you asked for more...

Latest posts

Back