Anna's Girls - Updated news.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the pictures of all your ponies Anna & the scenery is amazing
default_yes.gif

As April seems to be speeding past i thought it time for another update. Things have changed somewhat in that the friend who owned Poppy and Fleur has been lucky enough to have a change in her circumstances and desperately wanted her girls back again. So she came down to collect them and will foal them out for us, returning the foals to us at weaning. Must admit that I'm really thankful as I hate taking the responsibility of foaling other folks mares - too much stress!! I will report here as soon as they foal (end May/beg June).

OK so now I have just the two to foal. Muffin's Child and Chapella. Here is MC - think we can safely say that she as a baby in there?? Maiden mare due end of May.

Mar 14 037.jpgMar 14 039.jpg

Then we have Chapella. Very experienced mare - now 22 years old - last foaled in 2010 and only being asked to carry this one more foal as we had the chance of an outside stallion. Would really like a colt - Chapella has had many daughters and only one colt! I'm watching her really closely as with her last two babies she foaled early and caught us out, she is well known for foaling with a good udder, but 'jelly like' not firm and fully filled until she actually foals. Whereas MC is still living out, albeit in a field next to the house with a couple of special friends plus the oldies and Chapella, I have had Chapella stabled at nights for the past month just to give her the extra feeds, not because she was losing weight but more so she wont lose condition after foaling at her age. She is due the last week in May, but has foaled a month early before, not sure if she is starting an udder already or if it is wishful thinking! LOL!! Just giving you a side on pic of her as to take a rear one is pointless - with her black rear end and flanks you cant see baby's position via a camera, but I will say she is carrying quite low.

Mar 14 046.jpg

Oh and a couple of pics of little Wizz now a 2 yo - still got a few spots Diane!!

Mar 14 042.jpgMar 14 043.jpg

I was about to send you an email asking you to update us on your lovely ladies!

MC looks fabulous!! She's doing great for a maiden and that baby is poking out everywhere!

Chapella is looking great, too!! You'd never know she's an older lady by her looks. (Something I wish happened to us, too -- LOL)
default_giveup.gif

And you KNOW I love to see those SPOTS!!!!
default_whistling.gif

Glad you're not having to foal out the other ladies. So much easier, and definitely LESS stress!! That's just great news! I hope everything goes well with their foaling, and they don't need your incredible expertise! Make sure to have her call you with anything that seems abnormal. We want those babies healthy and safely on the ground!

They are all so very pretty and all look very pregnant. Can't wait to see the babies!

Progress report! I was correct with Chapella and two little bubbles of an udder were appearing - so not wishful thinking! There has been a small amount of progress and this morning she went out with a nice small 'jiggling' udder visible from the rear. At least she is over the 'hump' and now within a good time scale should she decide to foal early (due last week in May). Am watching her but not yet doing all-nighters, maybe in another week just to be safe!

The suprise was MC - thought I would look at her udder around a week ago (maiden due last week in May) and woops she had two tulip bulb sized little bubbles in her udder! Not much change since then except that she now has small 'flaps' of empty udder hanging around her tulip bulbs! So looks as though she is on track for foaling at the end of May - good girl!!

Looked out this morning over this particular field with the 7 in it and realised that of the 7 my old Nutty has 3 g/children and one daughter out there - therefore Narcotic's (a Nutty daughter) has 3 daughters out there - goodness we just cant get away from the Nutty influence!! When MC foals we shall have yet another Nutty g/child on the place!!

Another bit of chat for those of you who are interested in pedigrees/breeding lines etc. You may want some paper here to write this down to begin to sort it out as it is not easy to post - will keep you occupied while waiting for more gorgeous babies to be born! LOL!!

This is how MC is 'made up'.

MC is out of Narcotics whose sire was Spotty Patch

MC is by Muffin whose g/sire was Spotty Patch

Muffin was out of our Spotty Mummy and by Harry whose sire was Spotty Patch

MC is in foal to Spotbum who is out of Spotty Mummy but by the Falabella Ansel (no Spotty Patch here LOL!!)

a) Might we get spots do you think - probably get a straight Chestnut with not a spot in sight LOL!! Ah well .............)

b) So this coming foal has Spotty Patch as a g/g/sire and a g/g/g/sire??? And it's maternal grandma is also it's paternal mother-in-law??? Have I got that right?? LOL!! Am so hoping that this poor little foal has at least some of the good points from it's mixed up background and not too many of the bad ones!! LOL!!
default_pray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
All sounds very exciting and that things are progressing just perfectly!

And certainly, with Spotty Patch in the mix, those genes could show themselves without even being expected!!
default_thumbup.gif

We are now a couple of weeks away from foaling and both girls are progressing perfectly. Chapella is obviously not going to foal early this time (good girl!), she has plenty of udder but it is still softish and jiggling nicely as she walks. Baby looks as though it could be lined up but she is a 'compact' mare so there is a lack of space to actually see if baby is forward of centre compared with the way she normally carries.

Muffin's Child is also progressing well. Her udder is growing flat and wide (just like her Mommas does - interesting the way families follow the same trend!) and she has started to elongate in her vulva. We now have her in at nights, not something she is too pleased about as she hasn't been stabled since she was born (7 year ago) and we are having a little difficulty in persuading her to enter the narrow doorway to the passage to her stall in the old barn that we are using this year. She is a mix between 'can be stubborn and also nervous' so we are are being understanding but quietly firm plus using Chapella for her to follow and things are getting easier each day! Once in her stable she is relaxed and happy so it is just the doorway that is causing the problem - she'll soon get it sorted!

We will be doing all night sittings after the weekend and from then on until they foal so lack of sleep time coming up for us! Will try to get some udder pics for you but I dont have a camera and it is a bit dark 'under there' for my phone, plus Chapella has a black udder between her black legs so all my phone shows is black!!

LOVE the way you described that! Black udder between black legs! Yup, there wouldn't be much to see, one of those girls who you must "feel" or actually be there to "see" up close.

All sounds like it's about to get very exciting! Can't wait!

Hello my dear friend, How are you? I see you have some girls close
default_smile.png
I will send prayers for safe and easy births. Hi Diane, I have missed you all lots. xxx

Hi Renee - wonderful to have you back again! Have been thinking about you lots over the past few months, we must do a newsy catch up sometime soon.
default_yes.gif

Missed you so much too! xx

Can I ring you in the mornings? Is that a good time for you say around 11.30 your time?

Hey Renee, it would be great to hear from you - does this mean that you are in the UK at the moment? 10.30 ish am would be better, either mobile or main line, I'm usually taking a break then for my tea and custard creams (!!), by 11.30 I would be outside again so mobile only. Any day of the week/weekend will be fine. Cant wait!!

Not in UK but I would love to chat, I will call you from work so it will have to be a quicky but just to say hi
default_smile.png
I will call at 10.30 the first day that the office is quiet.

Latest posts

Back