And The Boys Just Keep On Coming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverdance

Reaction score
When I purchase this mare, she had had 3 fillies and one colt. Good, a filly maker. WRONG :DOH! Plus she had had almost all buckskins. I bred her twice to Windchaser(he is a buckskin) and got two nice bay colts. Then I bred her to Riverdance's Desperado,(palomino) and got another colt, but this time a BEAUTIFUL buckskin. . But he was supposed to be a filly!!
default_no.gif

Well, so far 6 boys and 3 girls. This is the 4th year in a row I have had token fillies.
default_no.gif
:DOH! My dogs have been giving me mostly boys and now my daughter is pregnant with her 3rd son. Must be something in my water.
default_smile.png

Anyway, I want to introduce to you: Riverdance's Billy The Kid. I just love what Desperado is producing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_risa8.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_488.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

His dam goes back to Blue Boy 3x and was one of the original Alvadars coveted broodmares.

He is only 12 hours old in these photos.

RIVERDANCE'S BILLY THE KID

318971739.jpg

318971741.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!! With boys like that, gotta make you happy anyway huh?
default_smile.png
He's beautiful!!

Congratulations I love him!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
He should make a fine looking show horse!
default_yes.gif

Theres always next year for that filly fairy
default_rolleyes.gif

My mare Lady gave me 3 fillies in a row all of which I sold. I said next year she will be a keeper. I have had 3 colts in a row from her since.
default_biggrin.png
Your colt is such a nice boy he can't be too much of a disappointment though I wouldn't think! That is the way I feel about Lady's boys - I kept 2 of them!!! Perhaps they will give me the fillies from her line that I want.
default_yes.gif

My mare Lady gave me 3 fillies in a row all of which I sold. I said next year she will be a keeper. I have had 3 colts in a row from her since.
default_biggrin.png
Your colt is such a nice boy he can't be too much of a disappointment though I wouldn't think! That is the way I feel about Lady's boys - I kept 2 of them!!! Perhaps they will give me the fillies from her line that I want.
default_yes.gif

As pretty as he is, he is definatly not a dissapointment as I am blown away by what Desperado is producing. This is his first year of foals, I now have two, a filly and a colt and a friend has a really pretty buckskin filly. So, so far three beauties!! Only one more for this year, but he is being bred to several more mares for next year. Now I can not wait!!

I just wish this one had been a filly too, as then I would be keeping her. But since it is a colt, he will be for sale.

[SIZE=12pt]Are you hand breeding or pasture breeding? We found that if we hand bred and only bred on days 1-4 of the heat cycle, we had a LOT more fillies than colts. Now that we are pasture breeding, it's colt city here!
default_new_shocked.gif
[/SIZE]

By the way, with gorgeous colts like that, who cares what sex they are. He's gorgeous!

[SIZE=12pt]Are you hand breeding or pasture breeding? We found that if we hand bred and only bred on days 1-4 of the heat cycle, we had a LOT more fillies than colts. Now that we are pasture breeding, it's colt city here!
default_new_shocked.gif
[/SIZE]

By the way, with gorgeous colts like that, who cares what sex they are. He's gorgeous!

Desperado was hand bred as he was being shown last year. So far two fillies and a colt. Most of the others were pasture bred, but there were at least two that were hand bred that had colts also by two different stallions. Then one mare had a filly that was pasture bred.

I just find that when I hand breed, I do not have a great a sucess rate as when I pasture breed for getting mares pregnant.

What a sweet little boy you got
default_wub.png

You know in humans they say if you do it during the first part of ovulation you will have a boy as boy sperm swim the fastest ( they die quick too though) or at the end of your ovulation a girl cause girl sperm live longer..

I dont know if you can determine this in a horse compared to a human??

Whichever , all your babies are Beautiful!!

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Gorgeous boy! If he was a filly, you would have kept her and then who would you sell? Desparado has had all gorgeous babies so far. :

default_aktion033.gif
I bet Dandy has a filly for you.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately for us up NORTHERN people our mares have longer cycles and it is hard to judge length of cycles (heck mine are never nice and short to only bred days 1-4). And this year because of the cold they are even goofier and no one is shedding well yet. So Sue I understand the frustration. The ones I wanted girls from I got boys this year. OH WELL.
default_no.gif

He is GORGEOUS anyway you look at it however. Maybe whisper short nothings into her ear and retry one more time. Otherwise let me borrow her a her and give it a try on Treasure
default_smile.png
Heck even if a boy would make a nice show gelding.
default_wink.png

Unfortunately for us up NORTHERN people our mares have longer cycles and it is hard to judge length of cycles (heck mine are never nice and short to only bred days 1-4). And this year because of the cold they are even goofier and no one is shedding well yet. So Sue I understand the frustration. The ones I wanted girls from I got boys this year. OH WELL.
default_no.gif

He is GORGEOUS anyway you look at it however. Maybe whisper short nothings into her ear and retry one more time. Otherwise let me borrow her a her and give it a try on Treasure
default_smile.png
Heck even if a boy would make a nice show gelding.
default_wink.png

Kitty,

My girls seem to be in heat all of the time, for days on end. No way to try and go for that filly. I do have one mare that is due soon who I had ultra sounded by the vet and she was about to drop a follicle. So we will see what she has.

Anyway, I was going to sell this mare as I want to reduce my herd by more than 1/2 and she did not connect to Windchaser as well as I would have liked. She is a really nice mare though and Just on a whim I tried her with Desperado. The connection was fantastic, so now I will probably keep her and repeat the breeding!

Sue

I'm having the same problem but they aren't shedding like they should. The last ones that foaled have shed out the best and are cycling the best. I just bred Lass to Treasure. The ones that foaled in April are acting goofy and just starting to shed. I just rebred DeeDee so hopefully this time she takes and was a 7 day cylce again. I had her checked last time and she had ovaluated and should have taken but didn't. But with 20 degree weather at night I wouldn't want to shed either. And I am handbreeding everyone but a few.

So I guess we have to be patient.
default_unsure.png
None of mine at Janets are taking yet either but they are all fuzzy and just shedding and hers are all shed out. I truly believe our colder weather messes with them.

I would love to try your Blue Boy stuff on Treasure. I really like the look that Janet gets with them.

Crossing my fingers for you that you get a girl next year or we will be talking as I think she would cross really well on Treasure
default_smile.png

Beautiful Colt!...I know the feeling though one year I had 4 colts and 1 filly...but, with the boys coming from everywhere I might check my water...LOL.

He is very NICE..I love the neck on him!

Fillies......what do they look like? It's been so long since I've had one I've forgotten! :DOH My dog even had a litter of 5 boys, no girls!! Maybe next year the filly fairy will remember where I live!
default_biggrin.png
Congrats on you colt though!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah He is stunning!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back