Anaplasmosis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffntuf

Reaction score
Hey everyone - finally! We caught my miniature mare with a positive on her titer! She has anaplasmosis and we started her on doxcy.

My question is - who else has dealt with this? Did you change her dietary intake or anything in regards to food?

Did anyone or does anyone have any ideas on supplementation to help increase her energy, immune system, etc.?

She is on a good feed program, she has good hay, she is wormed regularly, utd on everything else, so you have that information.

Thanks!

Be a little careful with a positive titer. Unless you are in an area that absolutely does not have Anaplasmosis, then a positive titer only means previous exposure (which many horses will have). It is more important to either demonstrate a rising titer or a positive PCR (which detects the bacteria, but that is nearly impossible). Anaplasmosis is self limiting (goes away on its own) and generally is not treated unless the patient is having problems.

I know of no adjunct therapy other than supportive;ie, fluids, anti-inflammatories.

Dr. Taylor

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dr. Matt - you are correct - she is demonstrating symptoms (thus the titer and they used the dog testing kit first before the titer was sent off), so that is why the vet has given us doxcy.

I read that Anaplasmosis is self-limiting - but wasn't sure what that means - the vet that came out said it can go into remission like Lymes? Although that is not my main vet, he was the vet out of that office that was free to come out again.

She is stiff, a bit lethargic. She still has good appetite. Did not get a high temp out of her and we don't see spots on her gums - but she is a little yellowish.

I have her on ketophin for the anti-inflammatory. I was just wondering if there wasn't an immune building agent out there - or research done on such?

Thanks!

Hello,

My mare (big horse) got Anaplasmosis this summer. (July 3rd). The vet came and gave her a shot and left me with some pills (40 a day) and she fully recovered 3 weeks later. I didn't change her feeding schedules or anything--the vet said it was fine. So she was fine to go outside and I had her on grass 24/7 like usual. Good luck and I'm glad you caught it in time! =)

Karbo Combo is a super immune boosting supplement. www.gomersinc.com or call them, small very personal company. They will be happy to talk to you.

Jan

The best advice I can give (to anyone) is to speak with your own vet about this; I'm sure he/she can help you with these questions.

Best wishes,

Liz N.

My draft cross was diagnosed in 2009 with equine ehrilichiosis (anaplasmosis). It started with stocking-up in his hind legs, then he got really stiff in his back end. Bute seemed to help, but a week later he had a bout of laminitis in the front feet. Finally, we did CBC/profile, and his monocytes were off the chart! He never went off feed or had a temperature. Since he is a draft cross, I didn't notice if he was any more lethargic than usual.
default_rolleyes.gif

The infection was treated with doxy for three weeks, and if he didn't have a bout of laminitis, he would probably have just returned to normal after the meds. He has not had a relapse or any other symptoms since then. Unfortunately, his feet have never been the same. Since his breeding is prone to problems with sugars/insulin/founder/overweight, I now limit his pasture turnout with a grazing muzzle. I didn't adjust any grain (pellets) because he doesn't get very much in the first place. I do try to watch the alfalfa. I supplement with biotin and keep front shoes on him, something I had never done before.

I think it just depends on how your mare's immune system handles infections. Since your mare is already on doxy fighting the virus, it's just how to deal the other symptoms. If she is only lethargic, I would just let it run it's course. It sounds like she is on something already for the stiffness. I gave my draft cross a immune boosting herb when he was a yearling because he was a PMU foal. He did seem to feel better on the herbs and I don't think it could hurt anything but your pocketbook!

Latest posts

Back