An URGENT request from the Appaloosa Project

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtrmoonfarm

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

We have an urgent need for more hair samples from any of the following LP-breeds:

Appaloosa

British Spotted Pony

Knabstrupper

Pony of the Americas

... as well as appaloosa-patterned Miniature Horses or Spanish Mustangs.

Horses sampled may have homozygous (LP/LP), heterozygous (LP/lp) coat patterns, or they may be true solids (lp/lp).

If you are able to mail these to us within the next two weeks, please email me at:

[SIZE=14pt][email protected] [/SIZE]

I will need to check the pedigrees of each horse to be sampled, in order to make sure they are not closely related to each other. This means if you have a number of inter-related animals, you may be only able to send in one or two samples. That's okay, as we greatly need these, so even one sample from you could help us a lot!

Thanks so much!

We are currently working hard to identify LP, the main gene responsible for appaloosa patterning and related traits. I cannot release any details about the progress we have made just yet. What I can tell you is that we have advanced to the point where, in order to proceed further, we need a large number of samples from unrelated horses. This is an exciting stage in our work, and we are very hopeful that many breeders will help us out!

What info do you need included with the samples?

We need basic identification information for the horse, a photograph, and pedigree including the sire/dam/grandsires/granddams. Anyone who emails me privately offering to send in samples will be sent sample identification forms on which to put this information, and mail in with the hair samples.

Speaking of color genetic advances the CHAMPAGNE gene test has also been perfected and tested, papers to be published soon! That means a commerical test might be just around the corner! Our horses were part of the study and all confirmed to be champagne by the test..so many advances in genetics this year, exciting times for the horse world!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
Exciting news! I don't have an appy or champagne yet but love to hear about all this genetic stuff.
default_biggrin.png

Would you like a sample from a solid mini with characteristics that is by a leopard stallion?

I have an Orion granddaughter who is - I guess what you would call a varnish app, not very well versed on them as she is my only one. Would be glad to give you a sample on her if you like. Orion grdd topside, Blue Boy bred on the bottom.

Jan

I have an Orion granddaughter who is - I guess what you would call a varnish app, not very well versed on them as she is my only one. Would be glad to give you a sample on her if you like. Orion grdd topside, Blue Boy bred on the bottom.

Jan

The best avenue to proceed is to contact Shelia Archer of the Appaloosa Project at the above email address and she'll you review your pictures/website and provide a submission paper for the hair sample they need. That way, the researchers get the VARIETY of samples they need from as many varied bloodlines as possible. My understanding is that that way too, they won't be inundated with the same family line samples and only be able to use a few.

I received an e-mail from Sheila Archer and they cannot use samples from varnish roan appaloosas at this time, they need more clear cut homozygous or heterozygous marked individuals for samples. (Blankets, leopards, few spots, snowcaps, etc.)

I've emailed Sheila to see if she wants samples from my app stallion Monet, pictured in my avatar. I think he's a pretty clear cut example, probably heterozygous.

I have a snowflake appy do they want those?? Shes Rhotens Dandy X FWF wardance

I emailed Sheila directly and got a response pretty quickly- she picked three of mine to participate in this study! Yeah!!

I've got two horses participating too! Fun! Won't it be great to have a test for the appy gene someday??
default_yes.gif

WAY TO GO MINI BREEDERS!!! Mini breeders really stepped up to help this DNA test research! We have some in the study too, very exciting to think someday we'll have an LP test available! THANK YOU all for participating and so quickly!

Here's the latest word from Sheila:

Hi Everyone!

The response to the call for samples has been wonderful! I am amazed by the large number of miniature breeders who have volunteered samples from their appy-patterned horses. We have all that we require from this breed now, and wish to thank every one of you who passed on our call to your fellow breeders - THANK YOU!!!

We have also had a large response from foundation Appaloosa breeders offering samples, and at this point have all that we need from that segment of the Appaloosa population - THANK YOU!!!

Here is what we are still looking for:

Knabstruppers (modern, baroque or pony class)

Modern-bred Appaloosas

British Spotted Ponies

Pony of the Americas (POA)

PEDIGREE NOTE: If you decide to participate, you will need to provide the names of both parents and all four grandparents. The horses in this study must not be closely related to each other, so they can't share any horses in these last two generations of the pedigree.

COAT PATTERN NOTE: What we are looking for are horses with easily identified coat patterns:

LP/LP - either fewspot or snowcap

LP/lp - either leopard, spotted blanket (will also accept obviously dark-spotted roans)

lp/lp - TRUE solids, no characteristics or roaning, over 3 years of age.

We cannot accept hair samples from horses that don't have an easily classified coat pattern, UNLESS they have only one appy-patterned parent, the other being of some other breed, or a true solid. These we can categorize by parentage as being heterozygous (LP/lp).

Again, my thanks to all of you who have stepped forward to help with this stage of our LP research!

Sheila Archer

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back