An update on my hard keeper that we nearly lost

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
So many of you were so kind and comforting in your responses to me when I was going through the crisis with our oldest mare last year. Even though she was improved at this point in time a year ago, I really didn't expect we'd have her by this time this year.

Well, not only is she still here, she is doing incredibly well. So well, in fact, that I may start pulling back on how much grain she gets (2lbs per day). She has not had any steroid injections since May. She has not exhibited any signs that would warrant another round of treatment with the steroids. In fact, she's nearly to a point weight wise that we could call her chubby! Another clue to how well she's doing is that her coat is much more full, dense and shorter this winter than in the last 2 years. It will be wonderful if we can get through the winter without having to blanket her. She hates wearing a blanket. I hate repairing the blankets from her efforts to get them off!

This is nothing short of miraculous based on where she was and what her identified condition generally does to a horse . Meaning, she wasn't supposed to get better. We were just going to maintain her until we could no longer do so. One key thing that I can't scientifically point to, but my gut believes it wholeheartedly, is that we removed all corn based products from her diet. The idea of doing so struck me after reading an article somewhere online (which of course I can no longer find) that pointed to the belief that allergy to corn may be part of the cause for one of the possible conditions she was identified as having.

I'll update with a picture soon
default_smile.png

fantastic to hear she is doing so well!
default_thumbup.gif

So nice to hear of your horses improvement.

I don't have any experience with corn and horses but we had a dog that almost scratched itself to death. We had it to the vet a number of times and got Benydryl and steroids, etc. Tried different things. I finally read about corn allergies on the internet and managed to find a corn free dog food. It was the miracle cure.

Sometimes, with some conditions, changing the diet can do a lot for an animal.

I wasn't on the board then, so I don't totally know what happened, but wow, I'm so glad to hear that she is doing so well and is still with you. That is wonderful!

This is VERY exciting news!!! Congratulations on all your hard work in helping her!

Lisa, if you want to read more...do a search on my name "wingnut" or my horses name: cha cha

You'll find several posts in the May/June/July 2012 time frame.

Thanks everyone

Back