An update on Maine Pride's Harvey Wallbanger

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsnanny

Reaction score
Though I still have not taken pics of the little guy to share. The verdict today is guarded optimism. We know there are still many hurdles to climb BUT his IGG came back at 800 proteins good white count just a bit low and we think he is finally latching on though not perfectly yet. He is following a semi regular pattern of trying to nurse and sleeping in the shirmp position but we know how fast they can go backward so wont say for sure he will live at the moment He did learn overnight how to lay down by himself. Before this we were going in and laying him down every so often. He still sleeps standing up some of the time. Vet was here this AM and called at noon and will be in touch again later this afternoon. He is on preventative antibiotics and we will be adding carafate probably. He is a pseudo dummy foal and could easily have been a red bag as placenta had separated though he did not present as a red bag. plus he had alot of cranial pressure due to the angle his head was in. Thank you all who have continued good thoughts and prayers for Harvey and please keep the prayers coming as we surely arent out of the woods yet but have seen some improvement.

Thanks again

Nita

So happy to hear that you're seeing some improvement!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Hi Nita -

Thanks for the update - have been thinking of you and will continue to keep your little one in my thoughts and prayers.

Liz R.

Dear Anita & Jodi,

Thank you for keeping us updated. I am so glad things look like they are going in a positive direction. My thoughts and prayers are with you and little Harvey.

Sue

Continuing to send prayers and white light for your boy. Thanks for the update!

Robin

Sorry to hear about little Harvey, but glad to hear there is some improvement. Positive thoughts headed your way from Cumberland!

~Jen~

I'm glad to hear he's doing better, and hope that that continues.

Liz

I am so sorry to hear about your little guy and so glad that there is some improvement in him, prayers being sent you way in hopes he keeps improving.

I finally decided, after seeing a bit of a nursing/sleeping pattern and some playfulness on his part, that I would take some pictures of the little guy and share them with all of you that have been saying prayers for him and keeping him in your thoughts. I SO appreciate the well wishes and prayers that you've offered for us, and I hope you'll continue to do so as we're not out of the woods yet, and he can use all the help he can get. He's sweet, though a bit shy, but I said tonight, if every time someone touched me they were stuffing a tube up my nose, sticking me with a needle, putting something that made my vision blurry in my eyes and putting NASTY tasting stuff in my mouth, I'd be a bit shy too!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

He's made some very positive steps forward throughout the day today and I am glad to introduce you all to Maine Pride Harvey Wallbanger.

Thanks to all, once again, that have kept us in your thoughts and prayers.

Jodi

100_1097.jpg

100_1093.jpg

100_1098.jpg

Awww, he is adorable in his little horsey blankee. He looks good. Keep up the good work.
default_yes.gif

Oh Jodi he's precious!!!
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
HE IS NURSING ON HIS OWN!!!! Though he does have alot of hurdles still to come he finally is nursing on a fairly regular basis and is acting much more like a newborn foal. He eats pees poops and naps. We still havent seen him tear around the pen like a normal baby but he is doing everything else in a semi normal pattern I am waiting for him to kick his mother then I will think he might be getting there but has shown marked improvement since around noon yesterday.

Our vet though not the one on call this weekend is on call for us since he knows what this baby has been through he has told his service if we call call him and he will come instead of the vet on call. Talk about reasons to love your vet.

Through the night tonight he learned to roll over and I paniced and said oh no now hes going to have ulcers but nope it was just a good ol fashioned horsey roll got up shook off and its fine. At least it seems fine. Had a little trouble staying warm but in the barn it is only around 35 or so degrees and just a little over that in the stall where the light is but he has tons of warm dry new bedding and though Im not using a heat lamp I am using a light in one corner so he can get right under it. I also dont have a kalglo but last year at this time night time temps were in the 40's instead tonight it is around 20 outside and snowing.

His maiden mom is a wonderful mom and if she thinks he is cold has been laying down right next to him and she makes sure he gets up and nurses if he stays down longer than she thinks he should. She also nudges him toward the warmer corner once he has eaten to make sure hes in the warmest place possible. She is smart in fact I dont have any experienced broodmares who have done a better job.

She is protective but not to us but tonight one of the dogs went to the barn with me and I made her stay outside and she started scratching on the barn door as usually she comes in the barn Sugar immediately herded him to the corner and stood so he could not be seen and her ears were like radar. She didnt let him out of the corner until I went and put the dog back in the house.

I can only assume all your prayers are working for us and we thank you all for continuing to keep us in your thoughts. it means so much to us. I would like to ask you to keep doing what your doing for Harvey for a little while longer but promise to let you know when you can drop him from your list so someone else can benefit from this wonderful group of people.

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart and special Thanks to all the Maine breeders and other friends who have e-mailed and kept our spirits up when things have looked grim.

Anita,

He is so cute! I too love the blanket! You and Jodi are being such good horse mom's. He is so lucky to have you both to take care of him. Thanks for the pictures and keeping us updated.

Sue

Latest posts

Back