An update on Helen Keller our blind mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsnanny

Reaction score
It is with a sad and happy heart that I have come to the board to report that Helen Keller and her mom have gone to a wonderful new home. Many of you know Helens story and how much she has come to mean to all of us but truthfully we didnt give her and mom as much time as they should have had. Also it has bothered me for the last year that the area they had wasnt as big as I would have liked and I really had no other area where I felt Helen would be safe from hitting trees or other obstacles. Sooo I have been looking for the perfect place for them for several months. I interviewed over 25 people and had some of them come to see Helen and after much deliberation and with a sorry heart I finally agreed to let them go to a wonderful young family. They will be loved and caudled as they were here and then some. They have a new small barn that is all theirs and a paddock for now that will continue to be made bigger and bigger until they have the run of a 5 acre pasture. It will take a little time for this as Helen has to get used to it a little at a time. If for any reason it doesnt work out they will come back home. You all wouild have been so proud Helen had never been on a trailer but trailered like an old pro. I have show horses that dont load as well as she did. All of that thanks to my 13 year old grandson who has worked with Helen since she was a baby. She now has 4 children to love her. And a loving mom and dad the new mom was in tears right along with me when I left. They are only a 1/2 hour from here and we have a standing invitation to come see them any time. My heart breaks for me but I know I did the right thing for them and that they are in a place where they can be brushed and loved on every day. This is far from the end of Helen's story but a new beginning. I will continue to update occasionally if that is OK. Helen was two the 4th of August. Thanks for letting me share.

Nita

I have been meaning to ask about her -- thank you for the update. Your post choked me up, and I have no doubt this was not an easy decision for you, but bless you for always looking out for her best interest. Sounds like she is going to a wonderful, loving home and she will be very well cared for. I am sure they will be keeping you updated with lots of photos, too!!!

Thanks again for the update --

Liz R.

Ahhhh....that nearly brought tears to my eyes. I know how hard it must have been for you to let her go. But at least she isn't that far away and you can stop by and see her, and her progress. You are a wonderful person to have given her a chance in the beginning, and now this chance to have more. I applaud you!
default_aktion033.gif

Dear Anita,

I know that must have been one of the most difficult things you probably have ever done. My heart breaks for you. But you did the right thing. You thought of Helen and her mom before your self. I am sure they will get tons of love and attention. And you are still so close to them. How perfect. You are a good mini mom always thinking about what is best for your babies.

Take care,

Sue

I was really scared when you started with "with a heavy heart..."
default_crybaby.gif
I was afraid that something really awful had happened to her. Instead something very sad is happening to you, but wonderful Helen is still healthy, thank goodness!
default_wub.png
I have one of my sister's retired brood mares, and she means the world to me. I can only imagine the sadness you feel. It sounds like you have done everything right, and I suspect little Helen and her mama will do great with all the extra attention she will be receiving. Having her so close will be great for the new people so that all can make the adjustment safely. I commend you for putting Helen first.
default_worshippy.gif

Awww, how bittersweet. I am glad they got such a special and wonderful new home, and is great that you will still be able to visit them!

default_saludando.gif
Hey,

Thank you so much for the update on Helen. She's such a remarkable horse. I know it was so hard for all of you to let her go; but, as you say, she's going to get more attention and continue to get love. Sounds like such a nice family. When you get lonely for them, they're not too far away. Could you post pictures of Helen and her mom? We'd all love to see them.

God bless,

Joan

{{{{Nita}}}} I know you, Jodi and everyone will miss them. It had to have been very hard, but I know that it must be wonderful to find an awesome family for them! Give them a hug from me when you go visit! I'm glad they're close by!

Thanks to all of you who let me vent and who understand. I have known for awhile now that we just didnt have the time to do as much with the girls as I would like to do and that they deserved a place where they could really kick up their heels and run and our pasture is too wooded for that and though they did have room to run in their paddock it wasnt like having a 5 acre pasture. They should be able to be on that pasture within a month or so of enlarging and enlarging their current paddock.These people have had horses and currently have a big paint mare but this is their first venture with minis and I hope I know enough to mentor them in this new beginning. I will be in close contact with them and I do know in my heart that this is what is really best for them. Sue this family reminds me of you and Makayla a few years ago and I hope I can show them the joy of minis so that they will forever want the little ones. I dont have many pics of Helen and Cookie but will see what I can find.

Thanks again,

Nita

Your post scared me at first......... Sometimes the best isn't always the easiest...........

Into the world this beautiful filly came, she had a lesson to teach the humans of the world, that being imperfect doesn't make you less able or disposable. As the good mom you raised her, guided her, learned much from her as she passed from infant to young adult. By gifting her this new home with her mom you have done an amazing thing...selfless generous and loving, course you're Nita...heart as big as all outdoors. You did a great thing and yes yes yes, you will be a great mentor!

You've really shown the true depth of your love for Helen by knowing

it was time for a new family for her and her Mom.

It's comforting to know you've an open invitation to visit her.

Best wishes to them and their new family.

Thank you all for reassuring me that I have done the right thing. I think I know in my heart that I did but it surely made me sad this morning not having Cookie yapping at me that it was breakfast time. Cookie had been with us 6 years and made me learn things I never wanted to have to learn about. You see her first foal for us was a dwarf and I know you dont breed a dwarf producer a second time but our vet recommended that we try with our own stallion which we did and got Helen. Not that I would have traded either experience because I truly believe Cookie became part of our family to teach us all these things. Bernie her first baby bred by someone else was also a joy for the 4 1/2 months we had him and Helen well you all know about Helen. Now they have moved on to teach some others and Im sure that in a very short time they will be Imbedded in their hearts as they are in mine.

Nita

Awwww, Nita...how bittersweet. Altho your heart must be breaking and missing your babies so much, it will soar knowing that they're going to a wonderful family and such an exciting time awaits them as they continue to grow and be loved by their new family.

Latest posts

Back