An unusual situation in the loss of a foal-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtrrae

Reaction score
This morning when I went to the barn, Midnight, who is out in the pasture kept nickering and nickering - almost like she was calling for a foal. I figured she was just calling to the horses that were still in the barn. She came over to me like she was trying to tell me something.

I did check her udder and it is just starting to get full. I also checked her day's gestation and she is at 284 days - last year she foaled at 306 days.

She settled down and started eating hay, well I just came up from the barn and found a beautiful little golden palomino filly - I feel so bad for Midnight - it is almost like she was asking me for help this morning. I feel like I let her down - The foal looked perfect, the afterbirth was right there and the only way I could tell it was Midnight's is because she had some discharge on her tail.

I realize that the chances of it surviving at 284 days are mighty slim but I feel so upset with myself that I wasn't more tuned in to what Midnight was trying to tell me.

Im so sorry for your loss. Please dont beat yourself up. We all try to do our best but we just cant anticipate everything.

I'm so sorry, Donna
default_sad.png

So sorry to hear! Its sad to hear of someone losing a foal so close to the foaling date. I sure hope your mare recovers and isn't too depressed over losing her foal.
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry
default_sad.png
Give Midnight a hug.

Years ago our mare Indy acted like that and so my hubby watched her all day while I went some place. I arrived home to find that she had just lost a filly. So, she had told us.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

I realize that the chances of it surviving at 284 days are mighty slim but I feel so upset with myself that I wasn't more tuned in to what Midnight was trying to tell me.

This comment made me have hope that he might still be alive but after reading everyone's replys I guess not. I am so sorry
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So Sorry. We can not know everything it is not your fault. Just give you mare and extra hug and she will understand.

I was there myself a few years ago. I fed my usual supplemet to all the horses and when I came bacjk later to feed hay there was a beautiful filly still in the sac. She looked perfect. Just never made it out. She was 286 days.The mare had no udder development. She kept following me around as if asking for me to DO SOMETHING !!

I still kick myself that had I been standing there when she foaled I just may have saved her.

I guess these losses just make the miracle of a live birth more precious to breeders.

Breeding is just not easy...

I am so sorry for your loss - these things are so devatating. I hope that your mare recovers quickly and that you do too. You didn't know - and she was early - so it is not your fault.

Oh my - this is the second lost foal today - what a sad day.

Hugs to everyone.

I was not going to take her picture but then I changed my mind - I thought this precious little filly at least deserves that. She was actually born in a nice bed of hay that is around the feeder but I had moved her away from the horses.

Midnight is still looking for her, she keeps looking at me - like - please get my baby for me. This is the hard part - watching the Mothers grieve.

Thanks everyone for the words of comfort - I am so glad that we have our wonderful forum family to turn to when we feel upset.

Midnight's palomino filly - 284 days gestation-

100_1508.jpg

Back