An "unexpected" start to foaling season-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtrrae

Reaction score
When I went to the barn this morning to feed my horses - Midnight was missing - here she was standing in the 3-sided shelter with a tiny little foal at her side. I was very, very surprised and panicky - none of my mares are even due to foal until April and Midnight was only at 306 days gestation. I have her records since 2002 and the earliest she has ever foaled is 326 days.

The baby was all frosted (we had -2 degrees last night) and shivering. I picked her up and headed for the barn, I towel dried her and used a hair dryer to dry her off and warm her up. I held her under the Kalglo heater until I felt her little body warm up. She didn't seem to be able to nurse. Thank goodness Midnight is so patient so I milked about 16 cc's of colostrum and syringed it into the baby, that was all it took and now she is nursing without any problems.

With the kalglo heater and 3 baby blankets, I am so hoping and praying that this little filly will be okay. She is so delicate. I am monitoring her on my camera and so far she looks fine.

If you have an extra prayer to spare please say one for this precious little filly. Thanks!

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010017-1.jpg

Aaawww....she is adorable. What a rude awakening for her to come from a nice warm place into a cold world. Hope she stays nice and warm. Extra prayers going your way.

She is a doll, sending prayers your way that everything will be great now that she is dry and warm.

So cute! Good to hear things turned out well; I think these little ones are tougher than we give them credit for (my foal was born on a windswept, cold, cold night...at least -15 celsius).

:aktion033: Congrates!! SO PRETTY!!!
default_wub.png
: SHe looks good! At first I thought I was reading the post I posted a few back....... same thing happened to me....... my mare wasn't suppose to foal til' the end of March and went to do chorse in the am. and found a jet black filly in the stall with the mare! I was very lucky nothing had gone wrong! Very nice filly!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Aww she is beautiful! I have a colt here that arrived with a rather short smooth coat like hers. I figured he was around 300 days too. Hope she continues to do well.

Donna, she is beautiful!!! :aktion033: She looks developed good and strong.... so that is a good sign
default_yes.gif
: ......will keep her in my prayers.

Donna, She is ADORABLE! I am sure with all your TLC she will do just great. She looks good, strong and healthy. What a perfect surprise to start your day. .. :bgrin You always know~~ you can bring her blankie and drop her llittle hooves off at my doorstep anytime.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: CONGRATULATIONS! Corinne

aww what a sweetie. Eeek theres some here due in April hope they dont go early its supposed ot "Feel Like -30" tonight AH. SO cold its almsot unbearable to walk 5 minutes outside haha.

What a beautiful little filly!

Congratulations! Does she have a name yet?

Beth

How cute! Im glad all is well and I hope she continues to recover all the way! just goes to show these minis are always going to trick us and can go in different patters!

Congratulations!

Gage

What a little sweetie of a surprise!

Looks as though - as long you got her nice and warm and she's nursing -- she's going to be great!

(We've had a similiar thing happen too.)

Congrats!

MA

:aktion033: :aktion033:

She is a gorgeous foal. Congratulations on her birth. I will keep prayers coming your way for her.
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

default_birthday.gif
:
default_birthday.gif
:

[SIZE=10pt]She is simply adorable Donna! Who is mommy and daddy? Congrats!!![/SIZE]

Lori

AWE!!!!!!!!!

she is soooo pretty!!!!!
default_wub.png
: congrats.
default_yes.gif
: hopin she's alright.

i just love her, donna. :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:

if you haven't thought of any names yet.....how about

Qtrraes Mystic Golden Miracle? "miracle"

Qtrraes Mystic Snowfallen Suprise? "suprise"

Qtrraes Mystic Sweet Snowstorm? "stormy"

just some suggestions.

well good luck with her, i absolutely LOVE her.....
default_wub.png
: congrats again!!
default_birthday.gif
:

Back