An Introduction and a Plea to those in Ontario

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarnessArtist

Reaction score
Hi there! I've spent a number of months lurking in the shadows here and decided i should really introduce myself!

I live in southern ontario, in the hamilton area and I'm very new to mini's , having just bought my first one approximately 5 months ago. Until that point all of my experience was with standardbred racing and trail riding, and like everyone else i consider myself hooked on the little guys now.

I adopted my mini through a local rescue operation, and know very little about her past. I know its a shot in the dark but i'd like to know if there is any possible way to find out who she is or anything about her. She has shown me enough that i believe she was more than 'just' someone's pet at one time.

The rescue did not know any of her history, not even her age.

From what i can tell, she is approximately 18-22 years old judging by her teeth. She's 35-36" tall. She is well trained in harness (i've just started line driving her recently but have not hitched her yet). There is also evidence she has had at least one foal, probably several.

She's a black and white pinto (i'll include a photo) with some very unique markings. You can't see in the photos but she has white hairs scattered across her forehead (could be from age) as well as a triangle of white on her rump.

IMG_5738.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

I'd glad to finally be here and hope to meet more mini owners in this area!

Thanks for all your help these last 5 months guys , this board is a wealth of information!

Michelle and Gypsy

Welcome here from Virginia
bye.gif

That mare sure is pretty!!! She reminds me of one of my favorite mares here
love0034.gif

Michelle, welcome to the world of short horses
default_yes.gif

I hope you can find out some information on your pretty little mare. It always makes me sad when a horse loses it's history. I guess that's why I think it's so important to keep up with the registry paper work when the horse is registered.

If you find out anything about her would you please come back and tell us? I would think with her trained to drive that would help make it easier to track down some information.

Charlotte

Hi Michele, welcome aboard
default_saludando.gif
Your new mare is very pretty!! I love black pintos
default_wub.png
Good luck in your venture. I DO hope someone on here may be able to help. BTW, we are located in NY, directly south of Kingston. Karin

Hello everyone! Thanks so much for the warm welcome!!

She is a pretty little thing and so refined, i'm just working on an exercise program to help tuck up that belly! There is so much about her that makes me think she was something more.....i can just tell that someone put a lot of time and training into her at some point.

Charlotte, it really makes me sad too that this little mare lost her identity. I wish everyday that she could tell me more. I'm just hoping that someone out there might have known her. It was just the other day, when i put the harness on her for the first time and realized that she was already trained, that i decided i needed to try a little harder to learn more.

Thanks for all the well wishes and hellos! I look forward to getting to know everyone
default_saludando.gif

Michelle and Gypsy

Welcome to the world of minis, and a great forum for help when you need it.

We are in Southwestern Ontario near Stratford.

Does the mare have a name?????? I guess not, when you have rescued.

She's a pretty girl.

Hi Genie! Nice to meet you! Stratford is about a 40 minute drive from me, i'm pretty much right between cambridge and hamilton (flamborough area).

She came to me with the name "Daisy-May" but i believe that is the name the rescue chose for her. I have been calling her "Gypsy" as her colouring reminds me of the Gypsy Vanner horses down the road from me (and when i first got her she had really long feathers!)

Take care,

Michelle

Welcome (from western Ontario) to the wonderful world of Miniature Horses! I am sure it won;t be long before you add another, or two, or three or...!
default_wink.png

Good Luck in finding some background information on your mare! She's a cutie!

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of miniature horses.Welcome from the thumb area of Michigan and even though we are from the United States we belong to a GREAT club in Canada. Miniature Horse Club of Ontario. A wonderful group of people and they have a web site will all kinds of information www.MHCO.ca They also have fun and santianed shows.
default_saludando.gif

Hi and Welcome to the forum from Southern Oregon!!
default_saludando.gif
Good luck finding out about Gypsy's background. She's a beautiful mare.
default_wub.png

Thanks Mona! I'm already itching for another one! Afterall...she needs a friend right?
default_yes.gif
I have two big boys but don't turn her out with them for safety.

I am actually thinking about getting a membership with the MHCO. I participated in their annual photo contest this year with great results! Gypsy received a first place in 'minis in the snow' and second place in 'fun with minis'. The MHCO website is bookmarked right alongside this one in my 'must check often' list!

Thanks again for such a warm welcome everyone
default_wub.png

Welcome to the Forum!!

Im about 30 minutes from Hamilton
default_yes.gif

Hello:

Welcome to Miniatures. We are located in Port Mailtand, on the north shore of Lake Erie, less than an hour from you.

You must come out to the Miniature Horse Show at Ancaster Fair (in your backyard), is has one of the best mini shows and Fairs in the area. We attended a mini show there about 16 years ago and came home with the mini bug. Great people, great fun.!!!

Wendy

Hi there - welcome form Murrays Miniatures - John & Amelia -- Clifford Ontario -- about 5 minutes down the road from Harriston On --

Right on # 9 Hiway.

www.murraysminis.com

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Harness Artist! I live just outside of Caledonia so not far from you at all. I would like to invite you for a visit to my farm! I don't recognize your mare, she isn't one I trained but I will pass her picture around and see if anyone I know recognizes her. She is a pretty girl! If you come to the annual MHCO spring clinic on May 31st for members only you can join then AND take advantage of the clinic - we are covering showmanship and show prep this year.

default_saludando.gif
Welcome to the forum from Kenilworth, Ontario, we are just north of Arthur, close to highway #6. Love your mare, she is a real cutie, I hope you can find something out about her past. Do join the mhco, you will find they have all sorts of events from sanctioned shows, clinics, fun shows, driving trials etc. Hope to meet you soon at one of the events.

Yvonne

Latest posts

Back