An interesting diagnosis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
Some of you might remember I posted about a week ago concerning an eye problem on a rescue mare. This is what it looked like than

S4300127.jpg

My vet ended up sewing it shut to protect the sensitive tissue from drying out and getting injured but the swelling would not go down. The horse had been represented to me as a 4 yr old but on this call back visit I had the vet check her teeth, he aged her at 14yrs. So we started thinking and had him get in there with a speculum and check out her teeth. Sure enough she had an abscessed tooth right below the eye....he pulled it, put her on antibiotics and she is doing so much better, tissues all down, still some swelling around the eye from the stitches but doing better every day!

No matter what strange things are going on with your horses face check those teeth! Who'd a thunk a tooth could make the conjuctive tissue in the eye swell all up!

Thank goodness for good vets!

WOW, that's really something! So glad he got it figured out. Is the mare not reg'd? Assuming not since there was a problem with the age. I bet she is much relieved too now that her tooth is pulled! OUCH!

Thanks for sharing what you found out; it is extraordinary how important proper, AND regular, attention to the teeth in miniature horses can be!! You need to START YOUNG, and be sure to KEEP checking, their teeth!

Good job!

Margo

Oh my! I bet she feels SO much better!!! Thanks from her!

I too had an eye/tooth issue in my old riding mare - but NOTHING like that - ugh!!

Wow! Great catch!
default_aktion033.gif
And thanks for posting for all of us to learn from.

Wow! Her poor eye looked so sore...glad to here she is on the mend. Do the doctors think her eye wil be okay sight-wise?

New to minis so any and all info is gladly received.
default_biggrin.png

The heck with good vets, thank goodness for good OWNERS!! Your mare is very lucky to have such a vigilant, responsible owner.
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

Thats great news to hear that your lile girl is getting much better. Thank you for sharing that info with us....interesting facts!

Latest posts

Back