AMHR Stud color genetic info - how to get tested

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
I am about to take my stallion to the University of Georgia to be collected and tested for fertility. How then would I test for color carrier genetics? I already have his full pedigree with all the characteristics and heights of his ancestors, but would love to know if he carries the cream gene or what all he has.Thanks!

You will need to pull mane hari to send off to a genetics lab, like UC Davis, Animal Genetics,or the U of Kentucky. Animal Genetics has a color panel test and a pattern panel test. Both were $95 each last time I looked. Individual tests were $25.

I just got back genetic testing for my colt. I asked for full panel. $95.00. Well worth it. He is a black-based horse with one silver gene and 2 cream genes. (Smokey silver cream). I would never have known from his dam and sire looks.

Whichever place you choose to do the testing willl have directions. You need to collect 30-40 tail hairs with the follicles attached

Latest posts

Back