AMHR Show question: Model Mare and Amatuer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
I am looking at the class list for the DE Area 1 show over the 4th of July weekend. I will be showing (hopefully!) my yearling mare. I believe she's about 32" so would be in the under classes.

Here are my questions:

What is the "model mare" class for?

I will be measuring her tomorrow along with my 5 year old that I plan to show. Both are between 31 and 33". What happens if I sign up for one class but the steward measures her and it puts them in another class. Will I be able to switch classes? I'm coming in the night before (Saturday) and will be arriving in time to get the measurement done and make changes as needed. Well before time for the classes I plan to enter.

Finally, while I've showed at my local, non-sanctioned shows I have not ever shown at this level. Does that make me an Amateur? What is the advantage of showing Amateur vs. "regular"? Where does this come into play?

Thanks in advance,

Signed a very nervous first time sanctioned show attendee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Model is intended to be a "quick" (no trotting or anything) conformation class so exhibitors can see how a judge likes the horses set up and the "type" of halter horse they like. Conformation only.

If an A horse measures over, yes you just swap their classes to the over classes.

For amateur, there are a lot of rules for applying for the card, beyond showing. You can't get paid for giving lessons, etc.

Wingnut - How exciting, as we plan to be there too so we can meet! I have not shown in model but know it is for 2 year olds and over and are only judged standing still, not moving as a regular halter class is. Check the rule book which I always do by Googling "AMHR rules".

The great thing about AMHR is that if your mare grows too fast - like our 2 year old has done - you just show in the "Over" division. Our mare is also AMHA registered and I don't think she will go over 34" but she has been over her height for age and had to show "Over" as a yearling and now as a 2 year old.

For Amateur, you would have to read the rules which are on the form (see "forms" on the website you google) you need to apply for an Amateur card. Each registry is a bit different but in general, as long as your aren't a trainer and don't make money from your reputation as a horse expert, you can be an Amateur. Amateur give you the advantage of not having to show against professional trainers, so I think is well worth the money. At some shows the Ammy classes are less $$ too, plus AMHR has special awards just for Ammy's..

About the show - I think AMHR starts on Saturday so we will plan to arrive Friday with 3 minis - my all around mare Princess, plus yearling Jake (both unders) and 2 year old Bunny who will likely be an Over. Let's plan to meet!!

ETA: Checked the schedule and see that although we have a TON of classes on Saturday, the mare classes are on Sunday so if you are just doing halter, Sunday is your day!! Of course we have plenty of classes on Sunday too, including driving.

Thanks disneyhorse and Mary!!! I think we'll skip the Model class but definitely work on getting that Amateur card as I'm about as Amateur as one can get, LOL!

Mary, we definitely have to meet! I plan to arrive Saturday afternoon. Yes, the classes I plan to show in are all on Sunday. I'll PM you my phone number. If you share yours, then I can txt/call when I arrive.

My plan is to take my yearling and my 5 yr old mare that's in my avatar.

Definitely get your ammy card because this is one of those shows where the entry fees are less for the ammy classes. I might be entering as many as 15 classes between the three minis, with Princess (Aloha Acres Fashion By Magic) in half of those. Look for her in all the Ammy performance classes "Under" except Jumper (I will enter Golden Age instead) and Roadster (I don't have roadster silks). She is Western Country Pleasure. We will likely see you in some of your mare classes on Sunday!

I do model classes as a ammy and do very well in them. I like that class as I only show in halter classes and not preformeance classes so it gives me 1 more class to enter.

I say if you do halter, try it as its pretty much the same.

MindyLee, you make a good point. I may enter it after all. Thanks for the input.
default_smile.png

I am planning to be at the show up near the office.I will not be showing but several of the horses with the KNOLLAC FARM prefix will be there with my friends.I will be cheering them on.It is so nice to be able to enjoy the show without all the work necessary to get them to the ring.My part was getting them on the ground and into the hands of loving, capable people to enjoy them and show them.If things are well that weekend with my sick son I will be there selling some of my used Mini items collected from almost 25 years in Minis.I am no longer breeding or showing and it is amazing how much stuff you can gather in that time.Hopefully someone else can make good use of it.I am looking forward to putting faces with names I see here on the site.I do enjoy reading about all the adventures of Forum members and still get lots of good advice from reading the posts.

Most shows around here you can actually apply for your amateur card at the show, costs a little more but still really reasonable and then you can show in all the Ammy classes...model is kind of nice too if you are nervous gives you a chance to go into a very straightforward class first...just walk in and line them up and set them up for the judge...good icebreaker!

I will be in harrington again but only showing on saturday like we did for the earlier show; arriving Friday around 1pm and then showing saturday. From the barn we had 4 horses there last time but I think it will be only my boy and one other young mare this time.

Im just going to keep gaining experience; the other show was my first and the first show my boy has done in a good year and we did surprisingly well together.

MiniNHF, I hope to arrive around noon. Maybe I can find you before you leave
default_smile.png

The registration papers for both horses (transfer/registration and permanent) arrived today along with my amateur card. Now to fill out the forms and get them sent off!

MiniNHF, I hope to arrive around noon. Maybe I can find you before you leave
default_smile.png

The registration papers for both horses (transfer/registration and permanent) arrived today along with my amateur card. Now to fill out the forms and get them sent off!
Im sure this show will have alot more entries then the last since its the Area I big show. I think we left the last one right before driving may have been around 3pm, so I am betting I will still be around.
default_smile.png
I wanted to do the jumping but thats the next day and it wasnt worth staying one more night just for one class so I just limited it to the Saturday classes.

I actually sent out for perm papers on the 5th and when I got home on the 14th from vacation they were there waiting for me. I was surprised how quickly I received them from R; still waiting on the A to arrive.

targetsmom: sadly, I having to change my plans too. A couple of unexpected expenses and the lack of time to work on training, and I've made the decision we can't do the show this year either. I'm pretty bummed about it.

We found another AMHR show that the Doctor said my hubby should be good to go to - a county fair in NY on July 30 (a Wednesday) with entry fees $8/class. Check it out. It sounds like a lot of people go to it. One judge and triple points.

Latest posts

Back