AMHR show in Shelbyville premiums released with schedule. Need HELP! newbie to this

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
Okay so I went to this show last year for a couple of hours to get a feel for my competition. I intend on participating this year, but need some MAJOR help!
default_whistling.gif
Where can I find good, easy to understand decriptions of these classes? I don't know the difference in modern stallion, modern pleasure stallion, foundation model stallion, etc etc. I looked through the rule book and there are decent descriptions in there, but I need more. I am a visual learner. I plan on getting on youtube and looking for classes, but I want to know what the judges look for, what the difference is etc. For example, I know the difference in my walking horse classes between show rack and pleasure rack, etc. Here's the info on the show.

http://kha.8m.net/tn/TNAMHR2013.pdf

Modern, Modern Pleasure, Classic, and Foundation all refer to shetland ASPC classes. You have an Amhr mini, right?

You can look thru the show rules in the rulebook on line at the AMHR http://www.shetlandminiature.com/member-services/forms/item/2012-aspcamhraspr-rule-book.html?category_id=366 where you can download the rule book

Now if I understand you right you have a mini AMHR that you want to take to this show. This show includes ponies (including Hackney) and AMHR minis. Look at the showbill the classes you'll be entering say AMHR. They start about class 102 on Friday First class is (handicapped) COOL is the new way of indicating these.

What age is your stallion? You pick the halter class for AMHR by age and height and the person who is showing. If you intend on more classes than halter then ask more questions and we'll try to help.

Okay sorry I should have been more accurate in my asking
default_frusty.gif
Here come the general questions with more to follow after the responses...

-He was born June 6, 2011 so he won't be two until June, but I show him as a 2 year old right??

-He is a stallion that I think is either 36 inches or a little more. I have tried to measure him, but there will be official people there to do it right? Also, we can only show in "over" classes correct??

-So if I show him as a two year old, the only classes I can do with him would be halter classes, halter obstacle, and liberty right? I am not going to do showmanship even if it is an option. I am not good enough for that yet.

-What obstacles are usually present for halter obstacle?

-I have never shown in AMHR shows. What is different for them as far as what I (Owner/exhibitor) need to do? Same as big horse shows?? I went to the show last year to see what everyone was wearing. I usually dress western. Is this going to be okay for all the halter classes or does it have to be a western halter class??

-I have heardabout people dying their horse's mane and tail because they have been lightened naturally by the sun. Since my little buckskin naturally has black mane and tail hair is this required? I know by the rules it is not, but I am asking if it is something everyone does.

-How far do you take the grooming? I rented some dvd's on show grooming where the lady shaved all of his face, over his eyes, greased his face, painted his hooves, trimmed off his eyelashes, etc. Am I bound to lose if I don't do all this?? My avatar is that way I normally clip him for shows.

-Music fpr liberty class...how do you provide that? Cd? Thumbdrive?

-Is the costume class an adult thing or is that more for the kids that show? I don't want to be the only adult out there dressed up like a goober ;-)

I feel silly asking this stuff but I am brand new at this. THANKS in advance!
default_worshippy.gif

I'll try to answer the questions to the best of my ability and what I have seen at the rated shows in NC---

-He is a stallion that I think is either 36 inches or a little more. I have tried to measure him, but there will be official people there to do it right? Also, we can only show in "over" classes correct??

If he is over 34 inches you can only do over classes (may be labeled "B") unless there is no height specification

-So if I show him as a two year old, the only classes I can do with him would be halter classes, halter obstacle, and liberty right? I am not going to do showmanship even if it is an option. I am not good enough for that yet.

Not sure about age for halter obstacle, but liberty should not be a problem.

-What obstacles are usually present for halter obstacle?

Small jumps, move laterally over a ground pole (may be an obstacle such as a flower box), pivot front or back feet in hulu hoop, walk over a tarp, back around cones, have the horse ground tie while you let go of lead and walk away for a few seconds.

-I have never shown in AMHR shows. What is different for them as far as what I (Owner/exhibitor) need to do? Same as big horse shows?? I went to the show last year to see what everyone was wearing. I usually dress western. Is this going to be okay for all the halter classes or does it have to be a western halter class??

Rail Shirts, blazers, show jackets (I attached some pics of my FAV. outfits)

-I have heardabout people dying their horse's mane and tail because they have been lightened naturally by the sun. Since my little buckskin naturally has black mane and tail hair is this required? I know by the rules it is not, but I am asking if it is something everyone does.

Yes you probably should. A friend of mine has a black horse and she dyes it to hide the reddish look. I don’t know the rules but I don’t see how this would be against the rules since it is only enhancing the horse’s natural appearance.

-How far do you take the grooming? I rented some dvd's on show grooming where the lady shaved all of his face, over his eyes, greased his face, painted his hooves, trimmed off his eyelashes, etc. Am I bound to lose if I don't do all this?? My avatar is that way I normally clip him for shows.

Definitely clip, paint hooves, and put some baby oil on the nose and above the eyelids which should be clipped a bit closer than the face and body. If you are afraid of a razor, using an electric one is much safer and there is no danger of getting cut. I don’t agree with trimming eyelashes, but there are people that do. You will definitely look less than polished and show ready if you don’t at a rated show.

-Music for liberty class...how do you provide that? Cd? Thumbdrive?

CD is fine. It helps to have a backup in case your CD isn’t working

-Is the costume class an adult thing or is that more for the kids that show? I don't want to be the only adult out there dressed up like a goober ;-)

I see know adults that do costume. Remember its a FUN class
default_biggrin.png

$(KGrHqFHJCEFCbQ9y3koBQqnn1iHo!~~60_1.JPG

14409_1.jpg

MendocinoBlazerBlue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
WOW FourLuckyHorseShoes....THANKS!!!! You are the BOMB!!!!!
default_thumbup.gif
This is fantastic!! I read through the rules last night and dying the horses mane and tail is legal, but not the body from how I read it. That is fine because his body doesn't fade out. I LOVE the shirts you posted. I need to find some like that. I read in the rules and it says jumps are brohibited in obstacle. Maybe I misunderstood, but I am glad to know the obstacles we need to practice.

default_please.gif
Does anyone know about the age thing?? My first question was since he won't be 2 until June do I show him as a 2 year old this year??? This show is in April.

Okay great. Onto the next question. How the HECK do you dye their mane and tail without it getting all over the rest of them? What dye brand is safe for them?

Here's a picture from a contestant last year taht I took. That is a BIG dramatic bridle path...is that necessary?

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

This horse looks like he doesn't have hoof polish on and he won a TON of classes.

IMG_0951.jpg

Also, this horse did really well, but this guy is dressed really relaxed. Is that normal? I guess they are judging the horse.

IMG_0942.jpg

The bay shetland did have hoof polish on, the polish used was clear.

Some of the shetland classes are more relaxed in the dress code, depends on which division you show in.

Shetlands are shown differently than miniatures.

Your horse is 2 as of Jan. 1st.

Obstacle and halter and liberty but no jumping. AMHR has NO jumps in obstacle (not allowed). The most there might be is raised poles that he would trot or walk over.

As for the dyes. I have never used them and you wouldn't probably bother at a local show. For the National you might want him to stand out, so to speak. There are comb in dyes like for men's hair and foam dyes that are easier to use. Some people use regular dye and the horse body has to be covered with a towel (or something) so it does not splash or bleed thru onto his coat. You cannot CHANGE his color but you can ENHANCE it.

Do as much grooming as you're comfortable with. If you've never body clipped before then get a head start a month or so early as the first time is not usually pretty. I use a #10 blade on my electric clippers ( and since you're going to body clip remember the long coat in spring will take lots of time and patience so break it into "doable" periods). Mine are pinto and I don't like the closer #30 (don't like pink skin showing - personal thing!) on the the body. I do 30 on the face and then 40 or 50 for sculpting above the eyes, down the nose and around the muzzle. Put some baby oil on the nose but don't make it drippy. The feet should be cleaned (I sand my white ones) and use a clear polish.

Any of the shirts or just a plain nice jacket over a decent shirt with clean pants and no tennis shoes. Now if you're going for showmanship, you'll need a jacket, hat, gloves, and boots or go completely English attire but with hat and all. (see the rules)

Liberty, I'd recommend a CD as not all places have the computer. At the show you'll need to put a label on the CD with your name, the horse's show number, the class number, and which track you're using. You can stand in the center for a SHORT time while if gets going if you don't want to start as soon as the track starts but don't delay too long. The 1 1/2 minute timer starts when you let him free.

Costume class is definitely fun and some adults participate. It takes so much time to get ready that we don't often have the time it takes for that and to do the other classes.

Hope you have a good time. I LOVE to show. Any more questions just feel free to ask; nothing is "dumb" except NOT asking!

Regarding the bridle path I don't really prefer it cut super short, but the reason is to show off the horses neck. If they have a nice lean neck you should have it shorter to show it off.

For your outfit (in halter more than performance) I would be sure to wear a nice necklace, rhinestone stud earrings (something flashy) and if you have time to do your hair, I know it can be hard with everything else going on, spiral curls look nice.If you prefer to keep your hair up a jeweled headband can look nice. I know some people even do the fake hair clip which looks good in a pony tail. A blinged out belt also looks good.

Don't forget Model and Color classes!!

Latest posts

Back