AMHR Rules

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuelqhs

Reaction score
Ok i'm going to get my son to show at Nationals this year. I know they he will have to show his horse at a regular show to go to nationals, but my question is, does he have to show in a youth class at the regular show in order to show in the youth at nationals, or can he go in like a color class at the regular show and go in the youth at nationals?

Hope thats not confusing

A youth must show in a youth class in order to qualify with that horse for Nationals. They do not have to place but must complete the class (not DQ)

A color class will not qualify them however it will qualify the horse they are 2 seperate things

Hmm, interesting, good to know.

Guess that'd be the same for Amateur and any "division"?

Guess its changed over the years, I thought it use to be as long as the horse showed at 2 shows or so many jusges something like that, it could go in anything at nationals.

Yes you are correct with the exception of youth classes once the horse is qualified to go to Nationals it can show in any class even Ammy ect.

It is only the youth that they now need to additionally qualify for

ok so my next question is,

Lets say the youth shows at the show in Youth Halter Mares Over and thats the only class they go in. WHen they get to go to Nationals is that the only class they can show in there? Or can they enter more youth classes with the same horse?

Good Evening,

On page 294 of the new 2008 ASPC/AMHR rulebook in the AMHR section:

Rule #5: No post entering of youth classes (AMHR Nationals) Neither horse nor youth can be changed after the closing date (the date to enter the AMHR National Show-August 1st, 2008)

Rule #6: Youth qualifying for National Show---To qualify for the National Show, the youth and miniature horses entered must have shown together under two (2) judges prior to the National Show. The youth must qualify by showing that horse in a youth class or classes. In addition, the horse must also qualify as normal (show under 4 judges at two seperate shows) for the AMHR Nationals.

This rule was put into place three or four years back to stop kids from just picking up horses to show at the National show thus causing an over-load of classes. Some complaints were that the kids would go to a trainer, ask to show a horse on his show string (youth may have never touched the horse in the past) and compete in the youth division with that horse. Some parents complained that it wasn't fair, so the reason behind the rules now.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Just want to make sure I am reading this right:  As long as the youth and horse have shown in a youth class they can show in ANY youth class at Nationals.  This is the way I am reading the rule.  Or do they have to have shown at a regular show in each youth class they are entering at Nationals?  I know about showing under 2 judges together.

To qualify the horse must first itself show under 4 judges at 2 different shows this will allow the horse to enter any open or ammy class at Nationals.

To qualify the youth to show this same horse the youth must also show the horse in a youth class under 2 judges this can be at one single show including one of the 2 shows you use to qualify the horse.. This will qualify the youth to show that particular already qualifed horse in any youth class at Nationals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for the answer. That is how I was reading it, but wanted to make sure before we thought we were ready to go and then got a surprise.

Thanks, I had looked at the rule book already. Was just trying to make sure that it said what I thought it said.

Back