AMHR NATIONALS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linda,

I'm so sorry that you (and Erica) were even put in a position where you felt like you had to write this post. I wasn't at Nationals so didn't hear anything, nor did I hear any grumbling from anyone I've talked to since, but surely you must know by now that folks that grumble - almost without exception - are just sore losers or just too plain lazy to work hard enough to accomplish what Erica does. Your words were obviously heart-felt, but try to remember they aren't necessary. The people who matter know, the others don't and never will...and that's why they don't matter.

So sorry you went through whatever the happenings were. Remember, people only use words to bring you down when they have nothing inside themselves. It's like a way for them to fill their empty selves up.
wink.gif

Linda

It has been a remarkable gift that we have all had to be able to watch Erica grow up in the miniature horse industry - as you know, I have been a longtime fan not only her devotion to the miniatures when it comes to showing, but also her quest for knowledge when it comes to breeding. I have often said, that Erica will be the top miniature horse breeder in the country before too long -- 2010 Nationals sure goes to show just how true it is. Winning doesn't come easy - it isn't a gift to be given to someone just because they are who they are -- hard work, day in and day out, proper feeding, emotionally connecting with your horse, and generations of breeding go into a winning animal -- Erica does it all - and does it all on her own.

My hat is off to her, and to you and your hubby for believing in her and helping her dream come true - I am sure that there were sacrifices made in order for that to be able to happen - but look at the way things have turned out - I am sure you wouldn't change a thing.

(((( Hugs to you all ))))

Stacy

I dont know who would have been grumbling, but I met Erica at previous Nationals and a kinder more dedicated person could not be found!!!! She helped us out with information on a couple of things and took us through the barn to see her FABULOUS horses- there was not one there that I would not have been proud to own.

And it was obvious as we observed things, the ton of hard work and effort and pride that goes into what she does.

For those that were grumbling? Shame on you. Instead of whining about those that beat you in the ring, take a good hard look at why your horse didnt place as well, and then do something about it. Sour grapes never taste good to anyone else!

Linda, I have never met you but I have bought and will buy several horses from Erica. Really she is the most helpful and kind person we have met so far in the miniature industry. I did see someone on her facebook page say something kind of rude and I commented on it. I can only think that those who have said something negative must be jealous and unwilling to put the time and effort into their horses that Erica has obviously put into her horses. As a newbie (to showing) this year and next, I look at what Erica has accomplished as a goal for were I would like our farm to be in the future….it takes a lot of work

Dear Linda,

I am so sorry that anything negative is being said about Erica. I wasn't at Nationals so don't know what happened. One day I plan on having one of Ericas horses in my barn. There have been times over the last few years that I have emailed questions to Erica about, feeding, conditioning, clipping, etc. and she has ALWAYS responded quickly with answers giving wonderful insight. If someone is running Erica and her horses down, then they obviously don't know anything about horses. All anybody needs to do is open their eyes and look at her beautiful animals. Obviously the judges did.

Robin

So sorry to read your post Linda.

I don't know what went on but I do know that if I had the time and the bucks to go to the Nationals, Erica and one other outstanding breeder, who I won't mention here, would be the people I would ask to show my horse.

I am a small time show person here in Ontario and certainly do not "know the ropes" but I find it very hard to keep calm when I am being "hounded" by the experts at the two shows I am a VOLUNTEER organizer at.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I think my mom is just beign a "mom" and being a little overprotective
default_wink.png

I just haven't posted pictures yet on here as I didn't want to seem like it was being just tooting my horn...as that is not the intention at all, it would just be sharing picutres of the accomphlisments of the horses that I love and care for each day.

It wouldn't make me love the horses that were in my stalls at Nationals any less if no one in the world thought anything of them
default_wub.png

There has been some sour grapes along the way, but I've always been the type of person not to let much interfer with me or my goals. If anything it just helps fuel the fire to show them the best I can.

of course the majority of the people were very nice and congratulatory...as we are just a "big horse family" in the miniature horse world!

and I surely to goodness don't make any money trying to show and promote my own breeding program as much as I do......and I work for the state for my "day job" so enough said -ha!

Still hoping to win the lottery some day so I can get me an indoor roundpen and an AC groom room!

Last edited by a moderator:
Erica , Your Mom might be what you think over protective !! But Hey so am I ! No one knows any better than I how hard you work with your horses to get them where they are !! I still remeber back when you got your First National Champion win with "Darlin" What a thrill that was for all of us.

Just keep doing what you are doing , you have a great program and you deserve everything you win.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

As always can't wait until the next one with the whole Waterin Hole Gang !! And yes we all do know how to have fun.. <<LOL>>
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Erica,

I commend you. To take the criticism from others so candidly and responding so pointedly, and humble.

We have shown together and I was glad to be beaten by you and your horses. They are a stellar example (along with yourself) of what our breed should be striving for, both in the horses themselves and also the representation you as a person give this breed.

It has been fun over the years (college) to talk horses with you and know what you were going to buy. No one ever really needed to give opinions because your eye is impecable.

If I was still showing to this day I would still be proud to lose to your breeding program. ]

AND LINDA............you stick up for your daughter as much as you want and apologize to NO ONE for it.

ROB

I can't imagine anyone saying anything negative about Erica nor her wins. I also do not know Erica personally - however, at Carthage MO show this year I went up and introduced myself to her while she was resting (ha) between classes. Erica was so nice and I made sure that she knew I have learned new things just by watching her in the show ring and on watched her on MareStare and was so excited as it was the first miniature foal I ever saw born - awesome. Some people are gifted horse lovers, trainers and owners - Erica is one of the best I have had the pleasure to watch. I hope to get to know Erica as we show at some of the same shows - over the next years! Way to go Erica!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

First let me say, Linda is an awesome mom!!
default_smile.png

I have been to Nationals many years, was unable to go this year and it was just a tad bit painful for me to watch on line, but I did. Was so very proud of the many people I knew, some who placed and some who did not.

Part of the reason I have valued my National time, is to learn. I would attend every halter class. I am very much a people person, love to watch them any time I can, and I can come away with a few different things.

I have always watched Erica. Why? Because she wins and I want to see what she is winning with. BUT, the thing I have always noticed about Erica, and what I have come away with when watching her,,,is she always, and I mean always praises her horse at the end of a class. Makes no difference if the horse was given the gate, or was named National Champion. I can honestly say each time I have seen her show,,,late at night,,,early a.m.,,,she always praises the horse she is showing.

I realize I am only saying it for me at this time,,,but that in itself tells me so very much about Erica the person, and I believe it to be a pretty darn good thing. True commitment to what she is doing, and to her partner at the time she is doing it with. Love for what she does.

Congratulations to you for a wonderful Nationals!!
default_smile.png

I have been to a few Nationals and of course have seen Erica showing. She is a great example for all amateurs to follow. She is friendly, always has a smile, never seems too stressed (even though every year I think she enters over 200 classes it seems!
default_new_shocked.gif
) treats her horses well and her horses all look happy and healthy. She posts a lot on the forum, and even in their broodmare/pasture condition all look to be in safe enclosures and well taken care of.

I work full time and barely have time to care for and show more than four horses maximum. So I KNOW the hard work and dedication it takes to have a MUCH larger herd and show string!

She has a good eye for horses, and a lot of presence in the show ring.

She is very humble considering her accomplishments!

Erica, ANYONE who is successful will always have those who want to bring them down. But stay the way you are!

Congratulations on another successful Nationals show.

Andrea

I am new to minis, never met Erica or her mom, and had no idea of the "sour grapes" at AMHR nationals other than what I had read through this board. I remember reading Erica's response, and thought what a wonderful response from someone of her age - upbeat, positive, not egotistical, and not letting other people's bitterness or caustic comments affect her. Then I read her mother's reply, and I understood exactly why Erica could make such a response - her mother's graciousness and factual response showed me that indeed, the apple didn't fall from the tree. Both Erica and her mother seem to be wonderful people, and even having never met either of them, I admire them both! I hope to someday meet you both - until then, Erica I hope to (and I'm sure I will) hear about your continued success. You seem to be setting a standard - and what's most impressive, are more than willing to help others to achieve it!

What's really BAD about Erica winning all those classes is the number of photos she's going to have to buy!!
default_laugh.png

I do hope that those who read my post about my view of Nationals in no way took that I was grumbling about her wins. In fact, I made a point of going up to Erica while she was on a down time @ ringside at nationals and congratulating her.

If it was "assumed" by my post that I was doing that - please don't "assume;" it was not, and IS not my intention to denigrate or bad mouth anybody at nationals.

Linda - I'd do the same thing if someone took it upon themselves to witch about my daughter.

Thank you, Linda, for sharing your daughter's history with us. I for one found it enlightening! I know I personally do NOT have the dedication it takes to condition and show that many horses. I simply couldn't do it and stand in awe of someone who does and still gives each horse that much individual attention.
default_wub.png

sfmini said:
Erica is a true ammy and I have no problem losing to her. As you said, she sets the bar high, but does it through her own blood, sweat, and tears instead of hired help. I can compete with my own blood, sweat, and tears, but never with money....
Amen, sister. I've got a couple of drivers like that around here but I have nothing but the highest respect for them and it's a real "Woohoo!" moment when I do manage to beat them. They are so kind and always willing to help someone else and it's a pleasure to lose to them! Erica is clearly the same.

sundaymom said:
...Looking down the asile I saw all these horses lined up, must have been five or six, being worked on by two women. I walked down, apoligized for bothering them but asked what should I have done to better prepare my horses. The older of the two said to bring one of my horses down. She then went to work on my filly and about 15 minutes later, including painting the hoofs, presented me with a different horse. That woman I found out later was Linda...Erica's mother.
default_aktion033.gif
Now THAT is the way to treat new people. Kudos to the Killions!

Mominis said:
That post is the epitome of the grace of the Southern woman.
"Southern grace." Now THAT's the term I was looking for when Erica replied on the other thread! Mom and daughter both show true southern style all the way around.

Frankie said:
...the thing I have always noticed about Erica, and what I have come away with when watching her,,,is she always, and I mean always praises her horse at the end of a class. Makes no difference if the horse was given the gate, or was named National Champion. I can honestly say each time I have seen her show,,,late at night,,,early a.m.,,,she always praises the horse she is showing.
I have never met Erica but I noticed this as well in watching the webcast and it's one of the things that made me warm to her. I loved her calm, centered aura and the way she'd smoothly sooth a nervous young horse and encourage them to stand up and show without any negativity. Not everyone has that touch but I noticed many of the winners did!

Leia

Thank you, Linda, for sharing your daughter's history with us. I for one found it enlightening! I know I personally do NOT have the dedication it takes to condition and show that many horses. I simply couldn't do it and stand in awe of someone who does and still gives each horse that much individual attention.
default_wub.png

Amen, sister. I've got a couple of drivers like that around here but I have nothing but the highest respect for them and it's a real "Woohoo!" moment when I do manage to beat them. They are so kind and always willing to help someone else and it's a pleasure to lose to them! Erica is clearly the same.

default_aktion033.gif
Now THAT is the way to treat new people. Kudos to the Killions!

"Southern grace." Now THAT's the term I was looking for when Erica replied on the other thread! Mom and daughter both show true southern style all the way around.

I have never met Erica but I noticed this as well in watching the webcast and it's one of the things that made me warm to her. I loved her calm, centered aura and the way she'd smoothly sooth a nervous young horse and encourage them to stand up and show without any negativity. Not everyone has that touch but I noticed many of the winners did!

Leia
Its hard for me to figure out how to post stuff, but i hope this makes it on here . I again want to thank everyone for your heart felt thoughts. I truely get tears in my eyes reading what some of you have posted about my daughter. I know I dont know many of you personally, but I feel like I do. You guys are great, and I do hope I get to meet you, if I dont already know you. I hope you always feel like you can stop by and say Hi.Thanks again. Linda

yes, someday hope to meet you and Erica

Please tell Erica I would love to see her winnings and pictures.

thanks Mary

Linda, you and your entire family are totally a CLASS ACT and I wish there were a million more out there like you and your family!!! You AND your horses are totally awesome!

Miss Linda....I don't know you...or Erica....but would just like to say that you are a wonderful mother and a very classy lady, and obviously so is your daughter. God bless you both....and keep up the good work.

I have to come on here and post and say that I am sorry that their are those who feel they have to be so rude and try to take away such a great Nationals. Its totally redicolous. Erica you did great, your horses looked awesome, you have a wonderful breeding program and you can back it up with. You do it all on your own which is awesome. Keep doing what your are doing you are doing everything right.

Latest posts

Back