AMHR Nationals & ASPC Congress

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would truly be one of the biggest mistakes AMHR/ASPC could ever make IMO.

Unless they could show me a show manager and staff with current experience working within the Miniature breed as well as working at a show with 1200+ horses I would have no interest in even considering anyone new.

The show runs smooth and there is the welcoming feeling of being known by staff. Not only the winning top trainers but the small average Joe as well.

What a slap in the face for the man who has helped this National show grow to the numbers it has and run about as smooth as a show of this magnitude can.

Our registry is not in financial trouble and I can't for see risking the biggest miniature show of its kind.

Frankly I am shocked that not only our board is considering this change but I find it a bit crazy they would be considering this type of a huge change with only 7 weeks until Congress.
default_new_shocked.gif

I have let my director know how I feel and hope that they vote the way the majority of members want which is to KEEP LEONARD AND HIS SHOW STAFF.

The AMHR Nationals is really something that IMO sets our registry apart from others. To attempt such a change at this point and time in fact at any point, and time is just truly senseless. I am hoping that the board I have faith in will not let its members down.

Thanks Lea for responding - it is good to know that you are hearing what the members of the registry are thinking and that the four appointed advisory panel are taking a good hard look at how the show functions, experience and relationships that have been built over the years.

I echo Bingo's post - it is nice to know that you can walk into the arena, and if something is noteworthy, Mark or whomever is announcing has something to say about it.

I am also glad to see people are calling their Area BOD Members and expressing their opinions.

Lea,

Thanks for responding and explaining the process you're going through and the reason why.
default_aktion033.gif

First, I would like to thank all of you who have voiced your support for what I try to do for you all - which is to be the best show announcer you will ever have.

Second, I would lilke to echo your support for Lenard. I have worked as a show announcer for 28 years this year, and in that time have worked with many different show managers. Especially when you consider the size and magnatude of the shows Lenard has managed - he is the best, Period. There are many very good show managers I have worked with, but he is still the best. The growth of the AMHR National Show, it's move to Tulsa, anf his continued stewardship of the Congress all point to his abilities. He hires good people and lets the do their jobs. I also hope he is retained.

I understand why you put things out for bid process, but i hope, like Lea said, that the bottom dollar line is not all that is considered.

Mark Bullington

First, I would like to thank all of you who have voiced your support for what I try to do for you all - which is to be the best show announcer you will ever have.

Mark Bullington
Something you do succeed at for sure! Your professionalism, humor, kindness, knowledge of the industry is simply put- unequaled!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Bullington
Something you do succeed at for sure! Your professionalism, humor, kindness, knowledge of the industry is simply put- unequaled!
[SIZE=12pt]AMEN!!! I was on the National Show Committee for many years and Lenard, his awesome staff and Mark are the utmost in professionalism and efficiency. The fact they are also incredible people who care about the industry, the horses and especially the exhibitors, makes them the best bet for the continued success of these shows.[/SIZE]

First I would like to say we support Lenard as Congress and AMHR National show manager. I am not sure how many of the members on this forum were around when we had a new Congress show manager, and what a gigantic disaster it was!!! Lost entries, surley and impolite show personnel, to say nothing of their ignorance of our rules, were just a few of the problems!!!

Granted Congress isn't making money, but neither did AMHR Nationals until the numbers were increased. this increase did not happen over night either....so why are we expecting to make a profit at Congress without the numbers increasing like they did in the AMHR??? Congress numbers have steadily increased , and should continue todo so, over the next few years, and in time in the not too distant future, show an impressive increase in revenue. I am not sure they will do so this year, with the present economy, and fuel prices...Congress attendance and numbers have increased 50% in the past 3 or 4 years, with the same amount of growth in the next 3 years, we coulde be looking at 750 to 800 ponies, then is the time to start questioning making a profit at Congress. Let's be realistic. As the old adage goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Give Lenard some guidlines or parameters to use, give him a chance to correct any problems before replacing him!!! I have heard that there is a movement to get rid of Lenard at all cost...I would like to remind everyone that the last time a change was made IT was NOT without a whole NEW set of problems, and COST was the "bottom line" then too. And if memory serves me right, the cost of that show managers bid ended up being a LOT higher than the original bid received!!!!! I have called my director to voice my opinion, and I hope all those that are in support of Lenard will do the same with their directors...we need to stop this insanity in it's tracks!

Sharron

Why on earth is it "not okay" to discuss registry business here? This is THE miniature horse forum -- which is a place to discuss all things mini! And this has been so for many years...

Actually I am surprised someone started any of this on a forum.

I heard several months ago that this was coming before the board, but there has been no announcement in the Journal, nor by any other means. What is our standard of communication?

Certainly not a forum.

I think that everyone should stop, before they start posting too much here and just call their BOD Director/Member. Their numbers are listed in the Journal. That way your voice will be heard and your conerns considered.

The forum is not the place to do this as not all BOD Directors have access or subscribe to forums and this one especially.

And yes folks I know I will have a lot of heat for this, but it is the truth - PLEASE CALL YOUR BOD DIRECTOR/MEMBER and express your opinions through a phone call!

I've had a couple of days to think about this since first reading this topic....and am really happy to read Lea's post saying that money will not make the final decision. I have the highest respect for every one of the show staff at Congress and Nationals.

Leonard makes himself available to all of us...he is not hiding behind the scenes. His office help are always polite, prompt and they don't act as if we are asking too much of them. Many of us go out there and drop/add classes, have height changes etc.

As for Mark, he knows who we are as exhibitors. He knows a lot of us! One time years ago he made a point of coming to our stalls to congratulate Sarah on her showmanship pattern!!

This is definetley one of those times that the saying "you get what you paid for" applies.....I think that Leonard and his staff are worth what they are being paid. We've all been to shows that weren't ran well and were so, so small compared to what Nationals is.

It's good to know that we've got a team of people that will work hard to get what we need to take care of all of us. Thanks to all.

default_aktion033.gif

Hello,

I first would like to say that I think we ( AMHR NATIONALS ) have the Best Small Equine show in the World !! Gosh I have watched it grow from the day of having 30 horses TOTAL , to what it is today !! Last year well over 1,500 .

I can tell you that is a Major undertaking to put on a first class show as we have had over the last several years.. We have made some $$ and we have lost some $$ and that just happens in business..

The Board just thought we needed to tighten up some with some of the spending and such this year due to the fact of our economy and such this year. So while it is true we took a bids for Congress and Nationals , we have looked over both with a fine tooth comb,

And like many have said , CHEAPER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER !! I did suggest one way of cutting some $$$ would be this year not to serve but one evening Exhibitor dinner !! We do need to curb some cost, it was unreal how much they charge for those dinners Lenard puts on each year.. So that was my suggestion for cost cutting ,,

I encourage all of you to call your Directors and let them know the things that you have said here,, Thanks for all your posts..

Hummmmmmmmmm.......OR still have the dinners, but make us pay for them thru/or on our entry forms, I am sooo tired each evening, I really do not feel like going out to eat, it is sooo convenient to run upstairs and get something to eat.

Good Morning All,

I also agree that Lenard and his staff are one of the most professional show management that there is. Like Belinda said, we still have to look at the bottom line and make some profit. I have shown Mini Nationals for several years and know that Lenard does provided several wonderful dinners for the exhibitors. I too think it's time to cut out at least one of them. If you stop and think, it cost approximately $12 a head to feed even the cheapest meal which is the spagehtti/lazana dinners. You multiply that times the number of folks that are there and the amount is staggering.

In the past the Area V group hosted several isle dinners and anyone that wanted to participated could. All that we asked was that they bring a dish, a chair and something to drink. That was some of the most enjoyable times we had.

Sharron Hinkle (Sharrrway Farm/Transport) and myself sponsor the Exhibitors Luncheon on thursday for Congress and have been doing so for the past seven years. Again, we furnished the meat and papergoods and the rest is brought in by the exhibitors. We will have as many as a dozen tables set end to end full of food and folks had plenty to eat.

So..my suggestion....maybe those of you that want to take on a challenge and set up an area at the show you can still have dinner get the exhibitors involved, plan now and you will be able to get it off the ground this year.

Thanks.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands aka Fiddlestix Pony Farm

Burleson Texas

Just a note to all who might like to Know , Congress and AMHR Nationals is going to be managed by Lenard Davenport ,
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

With the economy the way it is today, I can see where things would need to be looked at a little closer. I also appreciate all the feed back from the directors, etc. It lets me know that they care and that our voices are heard. That's what makes the AMHR what it is and the shows as great as they are. (By no means am I implying anything negative towards AMHA.) I do hope that Leonard and Mark and the rest of the staff will still be in Tulsa. I feel like they are all my friends.

Thanks,

Peggy

Just a note to all who might like to Know , Congress and ASPC is going to be managed by Lenard Davenport ,
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
WHOO HOO
default_aktion033.gif
Glad to know and thanks for sharing that with us. Glad to see that with the economy the way it is our board realized that cutting corners in the long run could hurt the show not help it. Bottom line to increase money people need to come in droves.

Without happy exhibitors willing to scrimp and save to be at the show they have nothing.

Thanks again for sharing the news
default_yes.gif

What about AMHR Nationals? That's the bigger show, with far more horses and exhibitors. I hope they aren't still thinking of changing the show staff at this late date!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I agree about the dinners, as nice as they are, drop one, even two, and save some money.

Latest posts

Back