AMHR Nationals & ASPC Congress

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaB Ozark

Reaction score
I have heard from a very reliable source (any Director will confirm) that the ASPC/AMHR Directors are going to vote on who will be the show manager for this years (2008) ASPC Congress and AMHR Nationals. They have been getting quotes and will make a decision in the near future.

I am very concerned with this. Leonard Davenport has been the show manager for the over 10 years that I have attended nationals (I have worked with him as both a vendor and a exhibitor). His job is incredibly hard and very detailed. I have seen Leonard be there from 7am to closing (2-3 am) and there again the next morning. He is an really devoted show manager with an excellent experienced team.

From my understanding several of the quotes they are considering are less but only because they are using less staff. One quote only allows for 6 employees (and that includes the announcer). Can you imagine what the office will be like with only a few people and what about security (we need it increased not decreased).

I know that Nationals and Congress are not perfect but who can run a 1700-1800 horse show with no problems. I think we need to remember that cheaper is not always better.

I am very concerned that the Directors are looking to change this late in the year. I cant imagine who could come in new at this time and handle all of the details that a national level show requires.

Please email or phone your director and let them know how you feel on this subject so they can vote accordingly. I also believe that Belinda Bagby will make sure that the directors get any comments posted here. Belinda (or any other director) please feel free to edit this message if I have stated the information incorrectly.

Thanks for reading

Lisa - Ozark

Wow Im so suprised as there was a post on another list months ago saying that the show manager would still be Leanord Davenport but that the office would oversee it. Im so confused.

I really respect and admire Leanord and have also known him for years (mostly through talking to him at congress) I think he has done a great job.

Ragardless of the reason(s) which I am not privy to and don't want to be
default_wink.png
it's WAY LATE in the year to be considering this.

I don't think Nationals would be Nationals without Mark annoucing and Leonard running everything behind the scenes......as well as the many other familar faces we see working LONG and hard hours for two weeks.

It's a hard job and not one I'd want to take underhand at any time. But I sure do like having these same friendly faces each year, it makes it a more comfortable enviroment dealing with people you "know" I think.

Sure hope I get to see all them again in September.

It would truly be one of the biggest mistakes AMHR/ASPC could ever make IMO.

Unless they could show me a show manager and staff with current experience working within the Miniature breed as well as working at a show with 1200+ horses I would have no interest in even considering anyone new.

The show runs smooth and there is the welcoming feeling of being known by staff. Not only the winning top trainers but the small average Joe as well.

What a slap in the face for the man who has helped this National show grow to the numbers it has and run about as smooth as a show of this magnitude can.

Our registry is not in financial trouble and I can't for see risking the biggest miniature show of its kind.

Frankly I am shocked that not only our board is considering this change but I find it a bit crazy they would be considering this type of a huge change with only 7 weeks until Congress.
default_new_shocked.gif

I have let my director know how I feel and hope that they vote the way the majority of members want which is to KEEP LEONARD AND HIS SHOW STAFF.

The AMHR Nationals is really something that IMO sets our registry apart from others. To attempt such a change at this point and time in fact at any point, and time is just truly senseless. I am hoping that the board I have faith in will not let its members down.

It just wouldn't seen like Nationals if the familar faces weren't there. I sure hope they continue with them. If its not broke, then don't fix it. I am sure it takes YEARS for a new staff to run such a huge show so smoothly!!!!

I hope Belinda chimes in here before the "chaos and panic" start, but I believe part of the issue at hand is the almighty bottom line. I know there's issue with Congress losing money on a regular basis and while our association may be financially stable, our national shows need to be self sufficient.

That said, I have nothing but positive experiences with Mark and Leonard. Mark is the most awesome announcer who's ever called my name and Leonard runs a tight ship!
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note - I do not believe that the announcer job is in question. I only mentioned that as one of the only 6 staff position for one of the bids. Not that Mark was being replaced. There does not need to be any chaos (please - I agree) - I just want people to have a say. Even if we go with someone else (it could be that people want a change) - at least we voiced our opinions and hopefully the directors will vote our suggestions.

Thanks, Lisa

I hope Belinda chimes in here before the "chaos and panic" start,

Well Congress not making money is a whole other issue that needs to start with increasing exhibitors but that is not the discussion of the moment.

I do find it is strange that when people voice opinions that some consider it panic and chaos.
default_wacko.png

I hope Belinda chimes in here before the "chaos and panic" start,

Well Congress not making money is a whole other issue that needs to start with increasing exhibitors but that is not the discussion of the moment.

I do find it is strange that when people voice opinions that some consider it panic and chaos.
default_wacko.png

Voicing opinions is not panic and chaos, but we all know that information on this forum can cause the rumor mill to go into over drive. Not everyone reads every word in every sentance and then they turn around and email/call someone else. It's like the telephone game. And pretty soon, poor Leonard and Mark, hear they've been fired and Joe Blow has been hired when that really wasn't even the case. What I'm saying is it would be nice to hear from a Board Member in regards to this topic.

Actually I am surprised someone started any of this on a forum.

I heard several months ago that this was coming before the board, but there has been no announcement in the Journal, nor by any other means. What is our standard of communication?

Certainly not a forum.

I think that everyone should stop, before they start posting too much here and just call their BOD Director/Member. Their numbers are listed in the Journal. That way your voice will be heard and your conerns considered.

The forum is not the place to do this as not all BOD Directors have access or subscribe to forums and this one especially.

And yes folks I know I will have a lot of heat for this, but it is the truth - PLEASE CALL YOUR BOD DIRECTOR/MEMBER and express your opinions through a phone call!

I would imagine this whole thing is no surprise to anyone involved seeing as they have not gotten a contract yet for the 2008 Nationals/Congress. I am assuming that is true as if they were currently under contract this would not be on the table for a board vote for 2008 shows.

I would like to write, here, to show my support for Lenard Davenport as show manager for the AMHR Nationals. I have shown in other horse breed Nationals, and have never been one run as well as what we have. I have been going to Nationals since 1999, and have seen it improve every year. Lenard works tirelessly for us, and does a fantastic job! We need him, and it would be a HUGE mistake to have it without him. With the amount of exhibitors and horses being shown, we have one of the best run Nationals in the Nation. Show your support for Lenard by letting the Board know how you feel. Let's keep the wonderful situation that we have. I agree with a lot of the folks on the board, sometimes saving money on paper does not equate the same quality of Nationals that we are accustomed to.

Lenard's staff is top notch and gets us all through the process quickly and efficiently. They know us and we know them.

Cindy Coffman

Mother Natures Miniatures, LLC

www.mothernaturesminiatures.com

I agree that we need to call or email our directors that is why I posted it here and stated that it my first post. But discussion is also good and that is what this forum is great at - I dont always agree with everyone but I sure get to see all sides of the issues. I am against hiring a new show manager but who knows by the time we get through discussing it - I might change my views.

Lisa

First off, I think Leonard does a great job.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

However, I don't think it hurts to evaluate other options. Just because you look at other options does not mean you're going to choose another option. Evaluating alternatives and the price of those alternatives is always a good process for any business or organization.
default_biggrin.png

I have no axes to grind with anyone, but what is wrong with Leonard bidding for a job like anybody else? Competition only serves to make the situation better. Either the new person will bring the show to a higher level or Leonard will be encouraged to improve his way of running the show. Anyone running the show will do it more efficiently and cost effective.

The forum is not the place to do this as not all BOD Directors have access or subscribe to forums and this one especially.

And yes folks I know I will have a lot of heat for this, but it is the truth - PLEASE CALL YOUR BOD DIRECTOR/MEMBER and express your opinions through a phone call!

WHAT??? Come on now what does not everyone choosing to subscribe to this forum have to do with members of any registry knowing what is going on?

How many had no idea and might have not known to call and discuss this with there directors. While many of us have known about this not everyone has.

This is not some secret hush hush thing nor should it be. It effects everyone who shows at the National level or at Congress.

It has nothing to do with being competitive and putting in bids for me it is about who the other bids are from. Are they experienced with National shows of 1200-1500 horses? Do they have enough staff to ensure it runs smooth. Do they come with good references? Are they currently working in the field of show promotion? Have they been known or used by either registry in our breed? If yes why are they no longer doing so? Is it worth burning bridges if said new people don't work out? Burning bridges of those who have worked so very hard and helped these shows to become what they are today. If you remember it wasn't all that long ago that Nationals had 300-400 horses not the 1200-1500 horses we have today a huge growth in a rather short period. I can say that is largely in part to the show management doing a good job.

These are much more important questions to me personally then can we save a couple thousand bucks. However that is just my opinion.

I see nothing wrong with anyone bringing this up on this or any other forum to inform and discuss and those that choose to call their directors will do so. So what is the problem? Why the need to get panties in a bunch?

I have seen Leonard and his staff working their butts off at Congress (which is smaller then nationals) and they do a GREAT job organizing and even though they stay busy, he always returns phone calls ext when i have questions. He is a GREAT manager and i cannot imagine it being the same without him.

Now, i have never attened Nationals, this is my first year going with Sheryl, but i would imagine its the same at Nationals. Leonard and his staff cannot be replaced
default_aktion033.gif
default_smile.png

As a director of the ASPC/AMHR and appointed by Larry Parnell to the committee of four including Joe and Zona to look into both the national and congress shows financial situation, improvements to the shows and a stronger & closer relationship with show management. I assure you that we as the committee took our recommendations very seriously to see future improvements for the shows and financial well being in these times of economic stress. No one is getting rid of Lenard, we are revising the budget and reviewing all aspects of the shows while keeping the board informed and involved. Yes, we have received another bid from a management service. Our goal is for the betterment of the shows, to take some responsibilities of the show to the office such as processing entries and using the new show program software. To be more involved in decisions of the shows and to be a stronger assistance to show management.

Please note that we are very much aware of the respect and fondness you all have of Lenard and his staff. We do appreciate his years of service so please do not assume we are getting rid of Lenard or Mark.......... As said we do have another bid on the table, both will be studied and considered, a lower bid does not always mean the winner!!! We as a board will pray to come to the right decision that will be in the best interest of the shows and the members who participate at them with your feelings for Lenard very seriouly taken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respectfully,

Lea Dill - Area I Director

Thank you very much for responding Lea. We really appreciate you taking the time. Thank you for explaining some of the issues that needed to be resolved. And also for considering our feelings for Leonard and his staff and all of the great work they have done for ASPC/AMHR over a long period of time. I imagine that it is a very difficult decision and am glad to hear financial is not the only consideration. As a show manager you know the amount of work and dedication it takes to put on a successful show.

Thanks Again. Lisa

Latest posts

Back