AMHR National Ribbions - who liked them?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Besides the 1st and 2nd place ribbions, did anyone like the fact that all the other ribbions were th

• I like the new ribbion choice.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way, go back to the older ribbions.

• Neither, give me something better.

• Total voters

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I was just curious why AMHR decided besides the 1st and 2nd place ribbions why were the others all the same color? Heard alot of people got the wrong ribbions.

Was just wondering if anyone liked the new ribbions? I want them to go back to the old ones, and possibly change the wording from first place and second place to National Champion and Reserve Champion.

Had a good Nationals, didn't come home with any ribbions, too much competition
default_wink.png

Can't wait for next year tho. Got 3 new horses too show and I decided to bring back Red to show him in Chariot next year. Too many people asked me why I wasn't in chariot lol.

Anyways who liked the ribbions, and why did AMHR go with that route?

Someone told me the reason they decided to use the same color for third through tenth is to encourage people to hang them up. Seems some people won't hang the lower place ribbons up? I dunno. I think if you go Top Ten at Nat'ls you should be proud!

Anyway, I liked the new ribbons. If they decide to keep these or go back to the other ones, doesn't matter to me.

Believe me I would hang up any top ten ribbon I get at Nationals. Luckily we had good luck and had several ribbons to hang up. But the ribbons being the same color seemed to cause a lot of confusion in handing them out. We had one class that they didn't even give a ribbon to us because they figured out they had messed up. We finally got the ribbon, but it took a while and a lot of talking.

In most of those classes any ribbon is a good ribbon
default_smile.png
but that being said I much preferred the old ribbons where it was easy to spot who got what from a distance. I realize a lot of people did not like the 8th place brown color but seems like it would be better to make a new color for 8th place and keep them looking different.

If I get a 3rd I would want that easily recognizable from a distance although trust me I proudly display my tenth places as well.

I liked the old ones better, I had to go to the twice because I was handed the wrong ribbon.
default_no.gif

I was told (not sure of the information so don't take it as gospel) that the center of the rose in the ribbon was to be different colors for different places with the rest of the ribbon being purple. There was a mess up and they were all made the same and the mistake wasn't found until too late to return for replacement. The ribbon company supposedly goofed up. Could also be someone passing the buck. I for one put up all ribbons as top ten isn't that easy to get. I like the different colors. In some classes even first and second matched all the rest. I really didn't like that as a friend got first and I had to ask her which place she got. It would have been nice to see the blue and yell to her when she got to the aisle and I saw her. I did not talk to a single person that liked the ribbons.

Angie

I like the new ribbons, and I have no problem with them being the same color. I agree, any color from Nationals is a good color LOL. Didn't take horses last year so I don't remember but aren't the rosettes bigger now? Just looked more like a nationals quality award to me. It worked out well for us too - we had purple stall curtains with orange mums on the table so they fit well with our color scheme.
default_laugh.png

Jan

I thought they were quite nice! My reserves say second place on them but they are still red!
default_smile.png
The stake class ribbons were all different colors and they are huge, I love them!! I am happy with all the ones I got, no complaints here!
default_laugh.png

Pammy

Didn't like them one bit! I too got handed the wrong ribbon once, (a ninth instead of 4th!!) and in the backdrop photos with the "National Top Ten" sign you can't tell what place you got. (I use pictures to quickly remember how I placed later, insted of hunting down my ribbons)

I can understand if it was an honest mistake, maybe the company will give us a discount for next year?
default_wink.png

But I have to say that I loved the stakes ribbons! They are beautiful!! (and I got a 3rd!!!)

just my 2 cents

I like the new ribbons a lot! I felt they were more "classy" as it should be with Nationals. And all of the stalls, stables that had them displayed,,,,,the new ribbons make a very nice group display. I am sure you may get a split decision, but I hope they do keep them.

I liked them especially for the youth, because if you get a top 10 and the ribbon is the same color as 3rd place, then that makes you feel more equal and makes you feel better that you did get a top 10... besides it is a royal kind of purple.
default_wink.png
I do agree that they do need to say National Champion and Reserve National Champion though. We also hang up every top ten ribbon we get proudly at our house. LOL
default_laugh.png

Hey! Well even though I wasn't there, I hope to be next year, thats if I can get some of my professors to agree on it as I'll be pushing hard next fall to double up courses to graduate in Spring of 2010, anyhow.....my personal preference is for the different colors! I like to see the different ones myself. That being said I do know of people even on a local level not show their ribbons at all, much less if they don't place Grand/Res. now if thats you that is fine. I for one though put all mine out and take them up at night. Even if I place dead last in the class at least I placed! If I go to Nationals and get a 10th, I'd be jumping for joy!!
default_new_shocked.gif

To me, you can always get DQ'ed, for example in my favorite class Jumping, I have went off course before
default_wacko.png
, my horse refused more then once,ect. So if you get any award at all be proud :)

I wasn't there so maybe I shouldn't get a vote, but I don't mind when they are all the same color - I guess I'm used to AMHA where they are all the same color. But I sure as heck would want my first place to say National Champion and not First Place, and the same for reserve.

Honestly I don't mind either way......I didn't mind the "different" colors (but detested the brown 8th place ribbon!)

I really think and have already told my directors I think people would be happy with the "same color" ribbons if it were changed so for the open/ammy/youth classes next year were what the futurity ribbons were this year (longer, flashier, very pretty) They were probably 4" longer than the open ribbons and were double rossettes, with silver tips and gold writting.

And then make your "money" class ribbons (futurity and incentive) what the incentive were this year......they were even yet longer and flashier, probably about 3" longer than the futurity ribbons from this year.

I have some pictures, and will try to download tomorrow to show what the ribbons looked like.........just lack of sleep for two weeks, and straight back to work had me drained, along with we got home and not but a few hours late IKE hit even us in North Central, AR and we lost 6 big trees in the front yard/drive.....luckily no horses hurt and no fence damaged.

Oh and BTW; AMHR is really on top of things.......as today 9/15 I already have two checks from all my futurity classes here at the house ready to cash. Incentive classes I'm sure will be following in suit.
default_aktion033.gif

I think the quality and size were nice, but agree they should be different colors. Even if it was just the center circle that was different rather than all orange.

I can see the reasoning for trying to get people to diplay their ribbons, but I am with a lot of you. I would be proud of getting a ribbon and would display them all. It was a little disappointing to have to go up and take a close look to see what some people placed. It would be a compliment to be able to display the colors to show people how each person did. I think that the 1st and 2nd place should say national champion and reserve champion.

Hopefully they will change them for next year.

I just read Erika's post and think she is on to something! Sounds like a great idea.

We too were surprised to get a check in the mail already for our futurity win. Very fast service!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only seen them in video and photos but I like them! I liked the others, too, with the exception of 8th place brown.

As to being proud of them... ANY ribbon at Nationals is a huge HUGE accomplishment. In almost all the classes I watched only a fraction of the class received any ribbon.

Plus, the new style looked purple to me... so you know, I am gonna be a bit biased
default_laugh.png

I display ribbons at home in my sun room and my bedroom. Almost no one sees these except Harvey and myself and they are all championship and first place. My Nationals ribbons of all colors hang in the hall way of my office suite where 100's of people see them. I'm the most proud of them no matter what color or number.

Also, I want to say the National Champion trophies are gorgeous. I think they are so impressive and beautiful to look at -- like really pretty statues. I think the ribbons / awards are very nice.

PS Erica -- I didn't even read what you said about also not liking 8th place brown
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
Back in 2005, the online show report said Destiny got 8th in ammy and I was thrilled but I was feeling like a spoiled little you know what because on the tail of feeling thrilled, I was thinking "oh, it's the brown ribbon..." Then you saw that I thought he won 8th from a post on LB and let me know it was really 5th!!! OMG, I was SO happy!!!! And I think I was happy about pink over brown as much as that he placed quite a bit higher
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I will probably be the only one to disagree with you all to say I like the brown ribbion
default_laugh.png
When my friends horse got it last year I thought it was so pretty.

I agree any ribbion at Nationals is awesome, with that being said I still think they need some identification to the person handing the ribbions out to make it easier instead of the mess ups everyone else had. I didn't get a chance to see the stakes ribbions.

Someone else mentioned that the same color of ribbions is great for the youth, all the same color, no fights lol.

I wasn't there and didn't show there, but I do show on a National/World level. My personal feeling is that the 3rd place through 10th place ribbons all being one color (purple is great!) look much more impressive than ribbons of different colors. After all, every Top 10 placing is important at a National/World show and the ribbons should express that honor.

While this is true Becky I firmly believe a 3rd place is not the equivalent of a 10th place they are 2 very different things. Each one something to be proud of for sure but if any placing after 2nd does not matter as they are considered equal then why bother even placing to 10th?

If my horse got 3rd then they were very close to being Reserve that is something all together different then a horse placing 5th-7th or even 10th and I sure want that difference shown at a glance.

Latest posts

Back